Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We had our forms rejected - my fault as I had printed them double sided and apparently if you print them out yourself it is meant to be single sided and the JP that signed our photos did them 'incorrectly'.

Good job we have spare photos and we discovered one of our pals is qualified to sign them so no doubt we will re-attempt the whole thing another day.

I wonder if an Aussie passport is just as much hassle to apply for?
I had more problems with the Aus one than the UK one, biggest problem was not having a Qld driving licence which meant I needed an extra set of certified photos
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:50 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,

quick question to save me reading all 20 pages of this thread.....due to the huge cost of renewing here in oz. Is it illegal/possible to send my DD expired passport to family in the UK (all documents included+payment) to renew on my behalf and send it back to me here?

thanks guys
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:19 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by di90
Hi all,

quick question to save me reading all 20 pages of this thread.....due to the huge cost of renewing here in oz. Is it illegal/possible to send my DD expired passport to family in the UK (all documents included+payment) to renew on my behalf and send it back to me here?

thanks guys
I think its theoretically possible but I don't think anyone has actually done it and reported back.
You'd have to get someone there to send you the forms, and you need to put their UK address as your current address - if you put down an Aussie address you'll be told you should renew it here.
Old May 4th 2011, 2:44 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think its theoretically possible but I don't think anyone has actually done it and reported back.
You'd have to get someone there to send you the forms, and you need to put their UK address as your current address - if you put down an Aussie address you'll be told you should renew it here.
Thanks Pollyana. That all sounds easy enough to do. If anyone has done this, please let me know.

Just a couple of thoughts have come to me.......
We don't have a sticker in my DD passport to say we are PR, but when they scan it at the airport - it comes up. Would renewing in the UK remove the PR from the passport?
Also, wouldn't the uk passport office notice that we haven't entered the UK when i send it?
Old May 4th 2011, 3:41 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana. That all sounds easy enough to do. If anyone has done this, please let me know.

We don't have a sticker in my DD passport to say we are PR, but when they scan it at the airport - it comes up. Would renewing in the UK remove the PR from the passport?
Also, wouldn't the uk passport office notice that we haven't entered the UK when i send it?
I almost did that, but I applied in the UK, and then left about 2 days later in the end. My folks brought my new passport with them when they came to visit.

The only problem that you face with applying like that is if they decide to summon you for an interview - you obviously won't be able to attend. This risk is apparently reduced significantly if you use the UK Post Office Premium Checking Service, though I am not sure if somebody can do that on your behalf.

It would be a nice experiment to see if it could be done this way, particularly as the fees seem to work in the opposite way to the exchange rate movements!

However, it is possible to enter and leave the UK without going though passport control, particularly from Europe. The authorities don't track the entry and exit dates like Australia does.

S
Old May 4th 2011, 11:33 am
Home and Happy

Your PR is of no interest to the UK Passport Office. When you get the new (and old) passports back you take them both to your local DIAC office and they'll put a new sticker into the new passport for you Otherwise you might need to carry both passports in case of queries.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:13 pm
finally in melbourne

I think i might give it a try and let you know how i get on.
My DD turns 11 in sept, so think i will do it nearer then, so it will last me 5 years. And then it will need doing again when she's 16 - which will require an adult passport.

I worked it out that renewing in the uk, with all the registered postage back and forth within uk and oz, including passport it was approx £72 = $109 at current exchange rate.

Renewing here its approx $230 (inc post office fee). This is equivellent to £151. TOTAL RIP OFF!!
Old May 20th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gems
Just update, my sons UK passport took 10days from the Auspost sending to receiving back (We are in Australia).
I live rural WA and post can sometimes be slow. So impressed with the service.

The only hiccup we had was Auspost kept doing the photograph wrong, and son had to go back 3 times to get them to do it again!

So my tip check your photo if getting it done at Auspost. Problems with shadow and sizing.

Gems
Just put mine in today, and I am really worried that Auspost have not done my photos very well. I think the shadowing is ok, but they are really close up! Looking at the template on the homeoffice website my face is more than the minimum 29mm and I think less than the 34mm, but it just looks weird with no shoulders at all and I think the background is white instead of cream/grey. Oh well, fingers crossed.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Just put mine in today, and I am really worried that Auspost have not done my photos very well. I think the shadowing is ok, but they are really close up! Looking at the template on the homeoffice website my face is more than the minimum 29mm and I think less than the 34mm, but it just looks weird with no shoulders at all and I think the background is white instead of cream/grey. Oh well, fingers crossed.
Well, it was fast and no problems with the photo. Less than two weeks from submitting my application to getting my passport back. It seems that the extremely close up photos are OK. The only thing I noticed was that on the UK passport page it talks about the new style passports where they're putting the info page at the front again and changes to the chip, my one seems to be the newish but not that new style. As long as it works!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:34 pm
Chris

crispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nice

I hope someone can give us some advise on this. My partner had to go back to the UK last week. He only had 2 months left on his UK passport, Emirates let him back to UK on this but he was advised to get a new passport whilst there. That done he now has the problem of not having a visa label in his new passport - HE DOES STILL HAVE HIS OLD PASSPORT WITH VISA LABEL. Just spoke to Immig here in Aus and they say he should go to London to get new visa label in the new passport prior to his return or he may be delayed at check in and people have been known to miss their flight because of this - alternatively he could get there extra early to avoid any delays with check in but they are unsure about how he will be affected at Bahrain and Singapore whilst in transit. Has anyone ever known people not be able to board due to traveling on an old and a new passport?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crispybacon
I hope someone can give us some advise on this. My partner had to go back to the UK last week. He only had 2 months left on his UK passport, Emirates let him back to UK on this but he was advised to get a new passport whilst there. That done he now has the problem of not having a visa label in his new passport - HE DOES STILL HAVE HIS OLD PASSPORT WITH VISA LABEL. Just spoke to Immig here in Aus and they say he should go to London to get new visa label in the new passport prior to his return or he may be delayed at check in and people have been known to miss their flight because of this - alternatively he could get there extra early to avoid any delays with check in but they are unsure about how he will be affected at Bahrain and Singapore whilst in transit. Has anyone ever known people not be able to board due to traveling on an old and a new passport?
They don't give you visa labels anymore, it's all electronic. He will need to go to aus embassy and have his new passport associated with his old visa.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:28 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by crispybacon
He should be fine to board with both passports and the old label, but allow time at check-in in case the staff want to verify with DIAC. When he gets back to Aus if he wants a label just take both passports to a DIAC office and they will put one in the new passport. Not essential but handy!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

In the unlikely event that anybody is wondering how long applications are taking, I handed my renewal application over to a post office here in Adelaide on 24th May and got it back today.

For the $236 I would've expected it to be delivered on a silver platter. Alas, I had to make do with it arriving in an express post platinum mailbag.

Cheers

LG
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
In the unlikely event that anybody is wondering how long applications are taking, I handed my renewal application over to a post office here in Adelaide on 24th May and got it back today.

For the $236 I would've expected it to be delivered on a silver platter. Alas, I had to make do with it arriving in an express post platinum mailbag.

Cheers

LG
Is it cheaper in Adelaide? Mine was $267, admittedly it arrived back a few days quicker
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Is it cheaper in Adelaide? Mine was $267, admittedly it arrived back a few days quicker
Ooops. $263.45 according to credit card statement.

Wondering if I got a $4 discount because it takes an extra day for the passport to get out here into the sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.