Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:00 am
Just Joined

patchg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Hi guys,

I just got my new UK Passport (only took 2 weeks!!) - to be honest I'm confused about how I swap the visa over. I don't have a label in my old passport, so what form do I fill in and do I need a label in my new passport? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patchg
Hi guys,

I just got my new UK Passport (only took 2 weeks!!) - to be honest I'm confused about how I swap the visa over. I don't have a label in my old passport, so what form do I fill in and do I need a label in my new passport? Any help would be much appreciated!!
You don't need a form. You take both passports to a DIAC office and they put a label in the new passport for you
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Hi, i just sent of my UK passport today, via Australia post. The total cost was $275. That was for a 32 page passport, Australia post checking it and also the fee to have my passport returned to me.

I thought the charge was $275 + $50 + the return fee?

Kim
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimandken
Hi, i just sent of my UK passport today, via Australia post. The total cost was $275. That was for a 32 page passport, Australia post checking it and also the fee to have my passport returned to me.

I thought the charge was $275 + $50 + the return fee?

Kim
They musn't charge that any more - they certainly didn't charge me an extra $50 anyway!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You don't need a form. You take both passports to a DIAC office and they put a label in the new passport for you
Thanks for that
Old Nov 20th 2010, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

wanderer1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Travelling back to Oz very soon but my son's passport expires mid May 2011 do you need full 6mths validity?

Also does it cause any probs travelling on new passport and showing old one for visa details?

Many thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:45 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderer1970
Travelling back to Oz very soon but my son's passport expires mid May 2011 do you need full 6mths validity?

Also does it cause any probs travelling on new passport and showing old one for visa details?

Many thanks for any advice.
You don't need 6 months for Aus or the UK, but if you are having a stopover on the way check the rules wherever you are staying - if you enter Singapore for instance (not just transiting through the airport, but actually entering the country) then you DO need 6 months.

And yes, the visa can be in the old passport, just bring both with you and there may be a delay at check-in so don't cut the timing too fine.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

For any1 thats interested in the time frame. I sent my UK passport of on the 16th November, i recieved it back 26th November.

Kim
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

A quick question. Do i need a new visa label in my new passport?

Kim
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:59 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken
A quick question. Do i need a new visa label in my new passport?

Kim
Last time I got a new UK passport, they kept the old one, so I assume you only have the new one? If so, you'll need a new visa stamp if you want to travel in/out of Australia. If you have the old passport then you can show both.

You dont HAVE to have the visa in your passport if you aren't travelling. If that makes sense. The visa letter is enough for evidence within Australia.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:08 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Last time I got a new UK passport, they kept the old one, so I assume you only have the new one? If so, you'll need a new visa stamp if you want to travel in/out of Australia. If you have the old passport then you can show both.

You dont HAVE to have the visa in your passport if you aren't travelling. If that makes sense. The visa letter is enough for evidence within Australia.
They ought to return the old one nowadays - with the corner cut off so its not usable. If they don't, contact them and ask for it because of the visa label being in it.
Then take the old and new passprots to a DIAC office and they will put a label in the new one. Not essential, but useful as its visible proof that you have a visa, which helps with Medicare, jobs etc.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

They ought to return the old one nowadays - with the corner cut off so its not usable. If they don't, contact them and ask for it because of the visa label being in it.
Then take the old and new passprots to a DIAC office and they will put a label in the new one. Not essential, but useful as its visible proof that you have a visa, which helps with Medicare, jobs etc.
Thanks for the info. Yes i did receive my old passport back along with the new one. I wasn't going to bother getting a visa label put into my new passport if i didn't have to, but like you said for medicare etc. So looks like im off the the gold coast first thing Monday morning
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Im not trying to renew a Uk passport just my Irish one.Looking at it, it says the fee is $80 which looks to cheap compare to the Uk one.Is this correct and do I have to get it checked at the post office like the uk one.I should have sorted this ages ago and so hope I dont need it in a hurry.Thank you.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:32 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Sorry Im not trying to renew a Uk passport just my Irish one.Looking at it, it says the fee is $80 which looks to cheap compare to the Uk one.Is this correct and do I have to get it checked at the post office like the uk one.I should have sorted this ages ago and so hope I dont need it in a hurry.Thank you.
Looks like this is the place with most of the details, http://www.embassyofireland.au.com/h....aspx?id=81799
and following the links for fees, it looks like 80 Euros, or $125 depending on how you are paying.....
http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/...%20%282%29.pdf

Lucky thing, yet another reason why being Irish is good
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this is the place with most of the details, http://www.embassyofireland.au.com/h....aspx?id=81799
and following the links for fees, it looks like 80 Euros, or $125 depending on how you are paying.....
http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/...%20%282%29.pdf

Lucky thing, yet another reason why being Irish is good
Thanks Polly.I just needed confirmation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.