Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
I went for my visa medicals a couple of weeks ago and also applied for my police checks (we are applying for an 856), all with my lost but found passport number on. Got a letter from the High Commission in wellington on Monday to say that my passport may not be valid after all .

Tried to phone the guy who sent the letter numerous times, but just get an automated response saying he isn't in the office. Have emailed a number of times. Eventually phoned the super-expensive $3.50 a minute phone number to try and find out whether my passport is valid or not, the chap couldn't tell me (and also couldn't understand why I had received the letter), but escalated my problem to the next level. Got a phone call yesterday from the High Commission from a lady who also couldn't understand why I had been sent the letter, but couldn't tell me whether my passport is valid or not. She promised that she would get the chap who sent the letter to phone me today, but since it is almost 3pm in Wellington, I am not holding my breath

All I need to know is whether my passport is valid or not. If it is, then great I can get my paperwork off to the migration agent. If it isn't then I'll deal with it and apply for a new one and find out how I sort out getting my paperwork changed.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can find out whether the passport is valid?
You probably can't find out for sure as it sounds like no-one at the embassy/consulate knows what anyone else is doing and it all leads to a private company earning more money.

You should be careful before you delay too long on your 856 - with the world economy about to enter another recession, if you are fired before 856 is granted then you have to go home. For what it's worth, you do not need a valid passport to apply for the 856, only one when it is granted.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:47 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
You probably can't find out for sure as it sounds like no-one at the embassy/consulate knows what anyone else is doing and it all leads to a private company earning more money.

You should be careful before you delay too long on your 856 - with the world economy about to enter another recession, if you are fired before 856 is granted then you have to go home. For what it's worth, you do not need a valid passport to apply for the 856, only one when it is granted.
Thank you for that information. I'll get the paperwork sent off. I presume if I subsequently find out that it isn't valid that I can complete an extra piece of paperwork to switch it over to the new passport number?

I am still no closer to knowing. I tried to phone again today, to no avail, so I am going to try the helpline again tomorrow and make it quite clear that I would like this sorting out.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:20 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Just an update in case anyone is renewing shortly. I had my post office interview on the 25th October and received my UK passport yesterday! Very quick process but expensive! Done for another 10 years...
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was quick.
24/11/11 handed in sons passport application
06/12/11 received new passport back 13 days in total very good.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default I live in OZ but need a UK passport, help?

Hi we have been living in OZ for 3 1/2 years, my 2 teenage son's passports expire next month, they cant apply for an OZ passport as were not citizens yet, we have to wait 4 years before we can sit the test, so the boys are going to need UK passports, can anyone tell me how I can apply for one and will they be granted as we dont live in the UK?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in OZ but need a UK passport, help?

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Hi we have been living in OZ for 3 1/2 years, my 2 teenage son's passports expire next month, they cant apply for an OZ passport as were not citizens yet, we have to wait 4 years before we can sit the test, so the boys are going to need UK passports, can anyone tell me how I can apply for one and will they be granted as we dont live in the UK?
Thanks in advance.
Easy Peasy. Just take your passport to a nominated Post Office make an appointment and on the day complete form have witnessed by counter staff pay the fee and wait.
In my case done it in 2010 at GPO in Perth Centre.
Only took about 3 to 4 weeks. Believe it's done in NZ.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Easy Peasy. Just take your passport to a nominated Post Office make an appointment and on the day complete form have witnessed by counter staff pay the fee and wait.
In my case done it in 2010 at GPO in Perth Centre.
Only took about 3 to 4 weeks. Believe it's done in NZ.
Thanks for the info, can you only do it in nominated PO? And I assume from your post thats for a UK passport not an OZ one?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, can you only do it in nominated PO? And I assume from your post thats for a UK passport not an OZ one?
It's easy http://auspost.com.au/personal/unite...passports.html

What they mean by nominated is that you go to one of the big post offices and not your surburban postoffice cum newsagent
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

UK passport i do indeed refer to. Yes a nominated PO. Your local one should be able to provide details.
From memory they will do the photos as well meeting UK reqirements. These are different from Australian passport photos so remember to only get UK approved ones.
Oz passports are done elsewhere. That being in the Centre off St George's Terrace.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a tricky one. I am in Oz as PR and have a current UK passport, but i need a second passport as my work has suggested it. (Apparently it is normal for brits working in my role to have two passports) Any idea how i do this?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:20 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

My brother (UK citizen) has 2 passports and its pretty common (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...econd-passport).

How you get your PR visa associated and evidenced in it I'm not sure - but I expect you get the passport and then approach DIAC to add the new passport details without losing the old details of your other passport. Tricky!!

Best of luck.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:33 am
Just Joined

jane k doyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi regarding the passports do they send them back to the uk to be done, as my sons has run out.

Last edited by jane k doyle; Jan 10th 2012 at 9:39 am. Reason: change details
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

They are done in Australia. Technicaly he does not need the visa stamp any more and they are discouraging people from having it, but if he wants it then he can have a stamp put in his new one. He just needs to take the old one and new one to the immi office
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jane k doyle
Hi regarding the passports do they send them back to the uk to be done, as my sons has run out.
you have to apply through Australia Post as per the links on the thread. I think they are now sent to the UK, but you don't need to do it, Aus Post does it for you.
See the link in Quoll's post, about five posts back from yours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.