Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal Of British Passport - Photos

Renewal Of British Passport - Photos

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice
Default Renewal Of British Passport - Photos

Can anyone give us some tips on who we could get to sign the photos required to renew our British passports. The notes say that we need to get the photos signed as a good likeness by policeman, solicitor, reverend etc etc who has known us for more than 2 years. We have been here 21 months and so haven't known anyone here for more than 2 years. Has anyone been in our situation and how did you get around it? Can you send the photos back to the UK and get someone back their to sign them?
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal Of British Passport - Photos

sounds like a logical idea...
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:23 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

You could always try your bank. Is the requirement of knowing you for 2 years valid for renewals? The passport office must be able to see that you look like your old photo, unless you have changed a lot!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
Can anyone give us some tips on who we could get to sign the photos required to renew our British passports. The notes say that we need to get the photos signed as a good likeness by policeman, solicitor, reverend etc etc who has known us for more than 2 years. We have been here 21 months and so haven't known anyone here for more than 2 years. Has anyone been in our situation and how did you get around it? Can you send the photos back to the UK and get someone back their to sign them?
I renewed mine recently, it was countersigned by a Brit Expat whom I work with, and although I haven't been here two years, there is nothing to say that you cannot use someone that you met before you emigrated, and so you could have known each other back in the UK, or at least before your arrival in Aus, as was the case with my friend and I........ Are you in touch with anyone here that you met before leaving the UK??
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you can't still be recognised by your old passport photo there is no need to get photos or the form countersigned for passport renewals.
For example we could send off my husbands passport renewal without any signitures but did need signitures on my daughter's application - her first passport photo was taken when she was 5 days old! (now 5yrs old).
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Does this apply for Canberra applications as well? Not that I'm doubting you, but I don't remember seeing that bit on the form!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Does this apply for Canberra applications as well? Not that I'm doubting you, but I don't remember seeing that bit on the form!
I think your right Pollyanna. I believe that for applications made in Canberra the photo has to be signed. In the Uk its just a straight swap as long as its a renewal.

Jo
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Thanks for your help guys. Think I am going to send them back to my friend in UK as haven't known anyone that long! I read these instructions on the Canberra UK consulate web site so am resigned to having to do this.

I reckon we both look pretty similar to our original photos though - if not a bit jaded and Paul has lost alot of his hair.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help guys. Think I am going to send them back to my friend in UK as haven't known anyone that long! I read these instructions on the Canberra UK consulate web site so am resigned to having to do this.
You may find the High Commission are flexible on the 2 year rule - after all, you're hardly going to the first person they have had needing a passport who has not spent 2 years in Australia.

Jeremy
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
You may find the High Commission are flexible on the 2 year rule - after all, you're hardly going to the first person they have had needing a passport who has not spent 2 years in Australia.

Jeremy
Sorry to jump in on your thread, we leave the UK in 21 days and I have just noticed that my UK passport expires in June 06 - does anyone know if I need it to have a year remaining?
Thanks Tara
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon we both look pretty similar to our original photos though - if not a bit jaded and Paul has lost alot of his hair.
I sent my photos (and the form) back to a friend in the UK. Back within 10 days I think, no probs.

Lesley
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali south
Sorry to jump in on your thread, we leave the UK in 21 days and I have just noticed that my UK passport expires in June 06 - does anyone know if I need it to have a year remaining?
Thanks Tara

No. However some countries (not Australia) won't accept your passport if it has less than 6 months to run, so:

- when you get to Australia, get a new passport; and
- get the visa re-stamped in the new passport at a DIMIA office (visa in old passport is still valid but there's a high risk of check-in hassles).

Jeremy
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
No. However some countries (not Australia) won't accept your passport if it has less than 6 months to run, so:

- when you get to Australia, get a new passport; and
- get the visa re-stamped in the new passport at a DIMIA office (visa in old passport is still valid but there's a high risk of check-in hassles).

Jeremy
thank you Jeremy, you have been a constant source of valuable information since June 03 when we applied
Kind regards
Tara