Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of a British Passport

Renewal of a British Passport

Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough
Default Renewal of a British Passport

Can anybody help please i need to renew my British passport as only have a couple of months left on it. I am now a Australian Resident and have my Visa in my current passport, what will happen to my visa as it is stuck in my passport when i get a new passport ?

Also i read somewhere that i do not have to have a new photo they just use the one of my current passport is this correct ?

I have been onto the High Commision website and the onlt way i can get an answer is to call a 0900 number at $4.50 a minute !!!!!! i did try out of desperation and i was unable to get through to anybody as incorrect number, so therefore does anybody either know the answers to my questions or know the correct phone number to call ?

Please help

Many Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of a British Passport

Originally Posted by sarahhartopp
Can anybody help please i need to renew my British passport as only have a couple of months left on it. I am now a Australian Resident and have my Visa in my current passport, what will happen to my visa as it is stuck in my passport when i get a new passport ?

Also i read somewhere that i do not have to have a new photo they just use the one of my current passport is this correct ?

I have been onto the High Commision website and the onlt way i can get an answer is to call a 0900 number at $4.50 a minute !!!!!! i did try out of desperation and i was unable to get through to anybody as incorrect number, so therefore does anybody either know the answers to my questions or know the correct phone number to call ?

Please help

Many Thanks
You only need a new picture if you've changed a lot. Once you have the new passport you simply take both passports into your nearest DIAC office and they will put a new sticker in the new passport. No problem (and no cost).

There's an excellent red sticky 'read me' thread on the subject at the top of the Aus page.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:11 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that visa's were electronic now, thus no need for a sticker in your passport.

Last edited by ajw; Aug 26th 2011 at 7:12 am. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
I thought that visa's were electronic now, thus no need for a sticker in your passport.
If she wants to travel overseas she will need either the new sticker or have to carry both old and new passports because even electronically the visa sticker number is attached to the old passport, not the new one. It's also useful to have physical proof for many businesses/agencies who do not have access to the DIAC electronic system.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:27 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, odd, the Aus immigration site doesnt mentioning travelling with both passports. It advises to fill out this form http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm
Before travel so the new passport can be linked with the visa
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ajw
Hmmm, odd, the Aus immigration site doesnt mentioning travelling with both passports. It advises to fill out this form http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm
Before travel so the new passport can be linked with the visa
That's prior to initial grant. Not post.