Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renew UK passports to process PR from 457?

Renew UK passports to process PR from 457?

Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Question Renew UK passports to process PR from 457?

Hello all,

Our agent is in the process of handling our permanent sponsorship. We are currently here on a 457 visa and OH's employer is now sponsoring us permanently (fingers crossed all goes well).

The kids' UK passports have both expired and we did not think this was a problem as we knew that if we needed to return to the UK they could gain entry on expired passports and we would renew them when we landed. However, the agent is saying that we need to renew them ASAP in order for the PR to go through. Is this correct?

If it is correct, how should I go about renewing them from Australia?

Thanks,
Ren
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew UK passports to process PR from 457?

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hello all,

Our agent is in the process of handling our permanent sponsorship. We are currently here on a 457 visa and OH's employer is now sponsoring us permanently (fingers crossed all goes well).

The kids' UK passports have both expired and we did not think this was a problem as we knew that if we needed to return to the UK they could gain entry on expired passports and we would renew them when we landed. However, the agent is saying that we need to renew them ASAP in order for the PR to go through. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Ren
I think you do have to have a valid passport for the visa to be granted, certainly if its going to be an offshore grant you will. I have seen agents advising that people can apply with an expired one but need to renew before grant. Have a look at the sticky thread at the top of the main Aus forum (this one), tells you how to renew from Aus.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

My OH's passport was due to expire while they were processing our PR (not employer sponsored though) and the CO sent us a letter requesting the new passport number before they could finalise the application. He was the primary applicant though so I'm not sure if this applies to children.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:44 am
Just Joined

wannabwarma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hello all,

Thanks,
Ren
We were in the same position, and our sons passport was due to expire that month. You are able to renew it whilst in Aus - although the tricky part could be getting the countersignature from someone you've know for more than 2 years (we'd not been in the country for that long at the time).

Here is the link to the web site and the various forms you'll need to fill in....

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/applying-in-australia/

Hope that helps - Wannabe x
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

When we went from 457 to PR we had to have valid passports as we had to do our daughters one (renew) and have a new passport for our newborn son. We was also being sponsored by the company so we didnt need to leave the country but we still needed to have valid passports.
Hope you get it sorted out quickly

Last edited by LINZI; Aug 11th 2010 at 8:13 am. Reason: forgot to add...
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

I am just renewing my son's passports and as we have been here just under 2years we can take them to our local police station and the JP will sign the photos. You just have to put an explaination in Section 6. I got this information from phoning the passport line (at approx. $4 per minute) and then when I printed the application from on-line it states this at the bottom of the checklist.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Normally you need a valid passport at time a permanent visa is granted, unless there is a good reason (eg home country will not issue a passport). But passports do not need to be valid when you apply.

When sending off passports to be renewed, keep copies of everything (including old passports) as it may all get lost.

And incidentally, letting your children's passports expire is not a smart move, normally, if there is any chance you might have to travel in a hurry. The UK does accept expired British passports, but the countries in between Australia and the UK do not.