Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renew passport with visa in it

renew passport with visa in it

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:21 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default renew passport with visa in it

Hi everyone, hope your all well, does anyone know, if i need to renew my daughters passport......how do I do it if its got the visa in it??? do I just peel the visa out and send the passport then restick the visa in the new one? thanks in advance

Dawn x
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:48 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: renew passport with visa in it

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi everyone, hope your all well, does anyone know, if i need to renew my daughters passport......how do I do it if its got the visa in it??? do I just peel the visa out and send the passport then restick the visa in the new one? thanks in advance

Dawn x
Nooooooo!

Here's some info:

VALID VISA EXPIRED PASSPORT

If you are renewing a passport, which includes a Visa that is needed for travel purposes, you can request that the Visa page is not cancelled: This applies to both an expired passport and one where all the pages are full.

a) Send passport in for a renewal
b) Include a covering letter to state that there is a visa on page.. that it is needed for travel.
c) The Examiner should cancel the passport by cutting the front and back covers, and the bio details page if a PASS issue. Once cancelled the passport is no longer valid for travel, but this may not stop a foreign country permitting entry to a person who holds a valid visa in a cancelled passport
d) You will receive a new passport back valid for travel as well as the old passport, provided previous passport is not damaged.
e) you must then contact the Embassy of the Country that the Visa was issued by and ask if they are able to travel with a valid passport with no Visa and a cancelled/expired passport that has the visa (Page not cancelled).
f) You will not be allowed to travel on the expired passport, and so if entry is agreed it means that you will have to carry two passports.
g) If Embassy does not accept this, you will need to make arrangements for a new visa.

UKPS do not transfer visas over to new passports.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:49 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Dawn x
hi Dawn I am pretty certain you cant peel the sticker out not sure what you do though just thought I'd bump this up for you

LOL TAAA DAAA Rich to the rescue
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:50 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Nooooooo!
What he said.

Don't under any circumstances tamper with the visa sticker.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:53 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Dawn x
Only if you want to get arrested at the airport and spend a while in jail ....

Seriously though: You fill in the forms (get them from the post office), send them with your payment, passport photos, and the old passport to the UK passport office. They will send out your daughter's new passport plus the old one (with the visa in) with the corners snipped off.

If you then travel to Oz, you need to take both the new and the old passport with you. JAJ always say that it *can* cause problems at check-in and therefore you should arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare.

Once you're in Oz, you can go to the local DIMIA office and they can transfer the visa to yoru daughter's new passport (stick in a new label).

Gina
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:27 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

god thanks all...................cant believe i thought it would be that easy!! big thanks x

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Only if you want to get arrested at the airport and spend a while in jail ....

Seriously though: You fill in the forms (get them from the post office), send them with your payment, passport photos, and the old passport to the UK passport office. They will send out your daughter's new passport plus the old one (with the visa in) with the corners snipped off.

If you then travel to Oz, you need to take both the new and the old passport with you. JAJ always say that it *can* cause problems at check-in and therefore you should arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare.

Once you're in Oz, you can go to the local DIMIA office and they can transfer the visa to yoru daughter's new passport (stick in a new label).

Gina
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:50 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

ok good points all round, but what if you are living in australia at the time and your passport runs out? as we know our kids only last 5 years, so what happens then do they issue a new passport with visa in, and where do we send them australia or UK??
thanks (sorry to interrupt your thread dawn!!)

regards
vb2
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:56 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

No thats fine it will be good to know, ive just emailed my agent too whos said the same, she nearly had heart failure,,,cant believe i have such a pea size brain :scared:

Originally Posted by vb2
ok good points all round, but what if you are living in australia at the time and your passport runs out? as we know our kids only last 5 years, so what happens then do they issue a new passport with visa in, and where do we send them australia or UK??

regards
vb2
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 12:02 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vb2

regards
vb2
Hi mate, advice can be found here

With regards to the visa sticker it's a good chance you'll be a citizen by then maybe with a new Australian passport.
They issue new stickers for new passports at your local DIMIA office by all accounts.

Rich
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future

I only asked wife this the other day.

Bill
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2

regards
vb2
If you are in Australia you renew your UK passport through the British High Commission in Canberra. They return your old passport, issue you with a new one, and you then take both to your local DIMIA office, where they put in a new sticker.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:48 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

thanks guys!

vb2
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Mr P did this last year.

Sent passport renewal forms to Canberra, with old passport. Both were sent back- one mutilated so no longer valid.
He took both to DIMIA, they printed out new visa and stuck it into his new passport free of charge (although initially they tried to charge an 'admin' fee!).

Despite hassle with the passport office (but that is a whole other story) it was pretty straightforward.