British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Renew old passports with visa in ,before or after validation ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/renew-old-passports-visa-before-after-validation-386834/)

ali n ali Jul 25th 2006 4:29 pm

Renew old passports with visa in ,before or after validation ?

Hi

My passport will expire in April next year , we are planning to move to Oz in October , my passport has my visa in it for entry into Australia .

I know I can enter Australia with a new passport and just show my existing old one with the visa in it , is this the best thing to do , or is it to go to Oz on the passport and try to get a new UK passport while I am there ?

Which is the easiest option ?

Thanks

markeh Jul 25th 2006 8:53 pm

Re: Renew old passports with visa in ,before or after validation ?

Originally Posted by ali n ali
Hi

My passport will expire in April next year , we are planning to move to Oz in October , my passport has my visa in it for entry into Australia .

I know I can enter Australia with a new passport and just show my existing old one with the visa in it , is this the best thing to do , or is it to go to Oz on the passport and try to get a new UK passport while I am there ?

Thanks

Hiya,
wasn't it in the papers today that UK passport costs go up in October?

Might be best to do it now rather than then. :cool:

Bye
Mark

Clippy Jul 25th 2006 9:38 pm

Hi

Thanks

I think it's more difficult to get the new UK passport once you're in Aus. Someone may correct me here but I'm sure you have to have your application countersigned by someone who has known you for two years if you are residing in Oz - bit difficult if your passport expires in April :)

tabby Jul 25th 2006 10:22 pm

Hi

Thanks

Don't you have to have at least 6 months remaing on your passport when you travel , If you do decide to do it before have the id page and visa page copied and certified just in case of lost ...