British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   removals/shipping company's info please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/removals-shipping-companys-info-please-789012/)

brian.w Feb 28th 2013 5:44 pm

removals/shipping company's info please

I was wondering when shipper quote you on your stuff do they go by how many items they will need to wrap and pack or just volume,say there is many little items to wrap,pack does this affect the quote,is there a limit on the amount or weight the 20ft container can take?and say some items are new in boxes,can i ask them to remove the items from boxes and say i have temp packed things up for storage purposes,and say want the extra packing i have on items removed will they do this?do they prefer to unpack and pack there way.
I have many items flat packed from new will they remove these and pack them there way?I really dont want all my new items to be shipped as new items for customs reasons,some items i may have proof of when i purchased and some i may not have anymore,so i think the best way would be to tell them to unpack everything and pack there way would they do this.
I know your allowed a certain amount,but we did get married last year and some items are wedding gifts how can i prove some items are gifts?

In regards to when the stuff gets over to oz and say we have a rental and we put the stuff into the rental,what did most of you guys do with your boxes,did you get rid or keep them?im looking or hoping to buy a house one day but im not sure when they could be,i suppose when you do buy a house after rental did you get a local removal company and who did you use and did they supply all packing or did you pack and move yourself say with hire van etc.

Also when you guys got the shippers to give you quotes here in uk did most come see you or just ask what your taking with you,when approx do they come and pack and take your stuff away when they request or when you want?
When do you pay for this before they come on the day to pack or on the day or days weeks before,when you get a quote do you have this in writing?How do you know they not hit you with other charges after they have got your money,or do they not take money from you until its reached your oz address.

old.sparkles Feb 28th 2013 9:02 pm

Re: removals/shipping company's info please

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 10575798)
I was wondering when shipper quote you on your stuff do they go by how many items they will need to wrap and pack or just volume,say there is many little items to wrap,pack does this affect the quote,is there a limit on the amount or weight the 20ft container can take?and say some items are new in boxes,can i ask them to remove the items from boxes and say i have temp packed things up for storage purposes,and say want the extra packing i have on items removed will they do this?do they prefer to unpack and pack there way.
I have many items flat packed from new will they remove these and pack them there way?I really dont want all my new items to be shipped as new items for customs reasons,some items i may have proof of when i purchased and some i may not have anymore,so i think the best way would be to tell them to unpack everything and pack there way would they do this.
I know your allowed a certain amount,but we did get married last year and some items are wedding gifts how can i prove some items are gifts?

In regards to when the stuff gets over to oz and say we have a rental and we put the stuff into the rental,what did most of you guys do with your boxes,did you get rid or keep them?im looking or hoping to buy a house one day but im not sure when they could be,i suppose when you do buy a house after rental did you get a local removal company and who did you use and did they supply all packing or did you pack and move yourself say with hire van etc.

Also when you guys got the shippers to give you quotes here in uk did most come see you or just ask what your taking with you,when approx do they come and pack and take your stuff away when they request or when you want?
When do you pay for this before they come on the day to pack or on the day or days weeks before,when you get a quote do you have this in writing?How do you know they not hit you with other charges after they have got your money,or do they not take money from you until its reached your oz address.

Hi Brian,

Removals quotes are based on volume - a 20ft container has a usable volume of approx 1000 cu.ft. The packers calculate what boxes they need to pack your goods - they wrap items before boxing so volume of goods will be less that volume of box. Because an item is still in its box, does not make it a new item, but items less than 12 months old should be declared. If you have flat pack furniture still in box, then can wrap the box so it has there wrapping on, rather than remove the packaging.

I had boxed some of my stuff up and it has been left in my boxes - you just have to leave them open so they can confirm contents for the inventory. Most of the companies I asked to quote came to my house to see the items and quoted from there. If all that you want to take is not at your address, I'm ot sure what you will have to do.

You arrange with the company you pick when is the best time to collect. The packers have been here today, and the container turns up tomorrow to be loaded, and will sail next Wednesday - we leave in 5 weeks. They have had an authorisation to collect funds to the quoted amount, but haven't taken payment yet.

I don't know about moving house within Australia - I'll worry about that later :)

Good luck.

brian.w Feb 28th 2013 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10576106)
Hi Brian,

Removals quotes are based on volume - a 20ft container has a usable volume of approx 1000 cu.ft. The packers calculate what boxes they need to pack your goods - they wrap items before boxing so volume of goods will be less that volume of box. Because an item is still in its box, does not make it a new item, but items less than 12 months old should be declared. If you have flat pack furniture still in box, then can wrap the box so it has there wrapping on, rather than remove the packaging.

I had boxed some of my stuff up and it has been left in my boxes - you just have to leave them open so they can confirm contents for the inventory. Most of the companies I asked to quote came to my house to see the items and quoted from there. If all that you want to take is not at your address, I'm ot sure what you will have to do.

You arrange with the company you pick when is the best time to collect. The packers have been here today, and the container turns up tomorrow to be loaded, and will sail next Wednesday - we leave in 5 weeks. They have had an authorisation to collect funds to the quoted amount, but haven't taken payment yet.

I don't know about moving house within Australia - I'll worry about that later :)

Good luck.

So if your going away in 5 weeks,when did they say your goods would be in oz,im worried if and when i do get quotes and decide on who i want to use,that items get over there too quick,im going to have to find a long term rental when we arrive and this might take a little time,be nice to get the stuff quick also but ideally would be nice to get a long term rental and stuff arrive same time.
If you dont mind me asking who are you using?

old.sparkles Feb 28th 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 10576118)
So if your going away in 5 weeks,when did they say your goods would be in oz,im worried if and when i do get quotes and decide on who i want to use,that items get over there too quick,im going to have to find a long term rental when we arrive and this might take a little time,be nice to get the stuff quick also but ideally would be nice to get a long term rental and stuff arrive same time.
If you dont mind me asking who are you using?

They set sail on 6th March and should arrive in Adelaide on April 28th - 53 days sailing, or 7 1/2 weeks. Should also allow a couple of weeks for clearing customs but hopefully will have everything just after we move out of holiday let.

kirstyp Mar 1st 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Brian.....

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 10575798)
I was wondering when shipper quote you on your stuff do they go by how many items they will need to wrap and pack or just volume,say there is many little items to wrap,pack does this affect the quote,is there a limit on the amount or weight the 20ft container can take? The quote will be made up from lots of factors (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782460) including both the total volume (to determine the container size etc) but also will include an element of how much of that volume needs individually wrapping and packing, as this will contribute toward the amount of time needed for the crew (labour charges) and the packing material costs.

and say some items are new in boxes,can i ask them to remove the items from boxes and say i have temp packed things up for storage purposes,and say want the extra packing i have on items removed will they do this?do they prefer to unpack and pack there way.I have many items flat packed from new will they remove these and pack them there way? If packing is sufficient to protect the items during transit then they can be left in original packaging, however if you wish they can be unpacked and repacked, but make sure to inform the company before hand as they will need to take into account time to do this.

I really dont want all my new items to be shipped as new items for customs reasons,some items i may have proof of when i purchased and some i may not have anymore,so i think the best way would be to tell them to unpack everything and pack there way would they do this.
Yes, the movers will do this if you ask, but you will still be responsible for the customs implications should your container be inspected and you be questioned on the length of ownership.

Also when you guys got the shippers to give you quotes here in uk did most come see you or just ask what your taking with you, Some shipping companies will give you a provisional quote based on a list of items or online inventory to give you a budget and then arrange a home visit if you're comfortable with the rough price, others will come out and see you right away. Either way, most will not offer a fixed price quotation without seeing your items unless it is a very small shipment - even then if what they collect is different to the list or if there are access problems they weren't aware of, you may be subject to additional charges so be careful before accepting any quote where they've not been to visit you.

when approx do they come and pack and take your stuff away when they request or when you want? collection date is usually up to the individual customer - if you're worried about things arriving too quickly then ask about temporary storage or slower shipping options.

When do you pay for this before they come on the day to pack or on the day or days weeks before, Payment varies between companies, but usually most companies ask for payment 7 days before the move.

when you get a quote do you have this in writing?How do you know they not hit you with other charges after they have got your money,or do they not take money from you until its reached your oz address.
ALWAYS make sure you've got a written quote and that you understand what it does and does NOT include, this is your contract and covers you if they try to charge you for something you werent aware of. Some of the common costs that is not included are import duties (if applicable on new items) and AQIS inspection fees (as these may not always apply and if they do are not able to be estimated in advance)

Hope that helps?

brian.w Mar 1st 2013 5:53 pm

another question when your getting packed up for shipping,do you take your chains,watches with you or leave them in the contanier for the shippers to pack,is this norm or do you take them with you,with myself and wife it might be too much to take with us,also in regards to say laptop or ipads do you take these also or get them packed in container reason i ask as myself and wife both have ipads and yes we could take them with us when we fly but also got a laptop too we would not need laptop as well as ipads,in regards to other stuff to take with you on the flight what do you recommend,i know about important documents etc what else.
And i read thats some people send a few boxes out in advance we have a cousin there who can keep it for us,what would you recommend we send over or is there any need,extra clothes?baby stuff,i was just gonna use the container for most things

Pollyana Mar 1st 2013 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 10577676)
another question when your getting packed up for shipping,do you take your chains,watches with you or leave them in the contanier for the shippers to pack,is this norm or do you take them with you,with myself and wife it might be too much to take with us,also in regards to say laptop or ipads do you take these also or get them packed in container reason i ask as myself and wife both have ipads and yes we could take them with us when we fly but also got a laptop too we would not need laptop as well as ipads,in regards to other stuff to take with you on the flight what do you recommend,i know about important documents etc what else.
And i read thats some people send a few boxes out in advance we have a cousin there who can keep it for us,what would you recommend we send over or is there any need,extra clothes?baby stuff,i was just gonna use the container for most things

If you put them in the container you may be without them for several weeks. For that reason I sent my computer in avance (in the days before laptops),

h2oskineil Mar 2nd 2013 6:37 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10576130)
They set sail on 6th March and should arrive in Adelaide on April 28th - 53 days sailing, or 7 1/2 weeks. Should also allow a couple of weeks for clearing customs but hopefully will have everything just after we move out of holiday let.

You can't 'always' rely on the sailing dates.... here's our story....

The container left our house on 4th January (2006) and went to Tilbury. It was loaded onto a ship which then went to Rotterdam.... where the ship broke down!! The container spent the next 30 days in Rotterdam.

Here's the route it did take eventually.

Rotterdam (30 days)
America
Pananma Canal
South America
South Pacific Island (Papeetee)
New Zealand
Sydney
Melbourne
and finally Freemantle!!!!!!

It arrived in April approx 16 weeks.
If you read to small print, you have no claim for compensation due to ships breaking down, it's just the way of the 'shipping' world.

You can track the container on it's journey (we did) it was seeing the places around the world it was visiting, just a pity we wern't with it!
To track it you will need your BL container number (Bill of Landing). Then log onto the Maersk web site and track the container
http://www.maerskline.com/appmanager/

DenyVL Mar 3rd 2013 8:35 pm

Can we put our refrigerator and mounitain bikes into the container? I have read that frige is not allowed because some CFC regulation.

old.sparkles Mar 3rd 2013 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by DenyVL (Post 10581069)
Can we put our refrigerator and mounitain bikes into the container? I have read that frige is not allowed because some CFC regulation.

I wasn't told it couldn't go - mine left on Friday.

With the bikes, you will need to make sure they are very clean but can also go :)

DenyVL Mar 3rd 2013 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10581106)
I wasn't told it couldn't go - mine left on Friday.

With the bikes, you will need to make sure they are very clean but can also go :)

Thanks, our fridge costs a fortune in NZ so i am glad that we can keep it... :rofl:

h2oskineil Mar 4th 2013 3:45 am

Originally Posted by DenyVL (Post 10581129)
Thanks, our fridge costs a fortune in NZ so i am glad that we can keep it... :rofl:

Just make sure there is no dirt in the tyre of the bikes, the cost of having them cleaned (and probably everything else) will be more than the few hours effort you put in your end prior to packing.

Moving to Australia or Importing Personal Effects/Household Goods
http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/e...ing-emigrating

Items of quarantine concern in personal effects
http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/e...rsonal_effects

What should I do when packing?

Preparation is an important key to packing up your household goods to ensure a successful move. When packing, take the time to prepare household goods for DAFF inspection upon arrival.

CLEAN YOUR GOODS!

Before packing, DAFF requires that any items that have been in contact with food, soil, plants, animals, or their products, are thoroughly cleaned and free from any contamination.

This includes, but is not limited to:

all used equipment and machinery—drain all standing water, and ensure the equipment is free from contamination
garden furniture, tools and implements—make sure all soil, animal and plant debris are removed and all surfaces are thoroughly cleaned
animal bedding and grooming equipment—wash and vacuum animal bedding, and clean grooming equipment to ensure all residual pet hair has been removed
waste bins, brooms, vacuum cleaners—make sure all waste is removed and the equipment is thoroughly cleaned
fresh water sporting equipment—make sure reservoirs are completely drained and dry, and that equipment is dry on arrival, including wetsuits, gumboots and fishing tackle.
Other tips:

Check surfaces of your timber items for any signs of insect infestation (sawdust–like powder, fresh holes, chewed timber or tunnels).
If you find signs of insect infestation, consider either not bringing the item, or treating it for the timber pests prior to shipment.
Kitchen goods—do not pack half opened packages of dry foods, herbs and spices that may be harbouring insect pests that are difficult to see.
Consider whether you really need to ship any natural plant or animal product that has not undergone some form of manufacturing process. These items may need expensive treatments, at your own cost, to mitigate quarantine risks on arrival in Australia. Cheap tourist souvenirs made of untreated plant or animal products, subsequently requiring treatments in Australia, can end up costing more than you would expect.

Ch3w84cc4 Mar 4th 2013 11:56 am

One of the things I would be looking to ship across is a car. Any good companies anyone could recommend?

HannahJ38 Mar 11th 2013 10:52 am

I can recommend Coastline Removals, you can go on their site and get a free quote to get a better understanding of costs. Hope that helps.

h2oskineil Mar 12th 2013 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Ch3w84cc4 (Post 10582179)
One of the things I would be looking to ship across is a car. Any good companies anyone could recommend?

Here's the post from Big Ape (TT)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=car+import

http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/Brit...portingYourCar