Removals Quote

Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Removals Quote

Hi guys & girls
just to let you all know that we had White & Company round this evening to give us a quote and they have told us that we can't take our lawn mower even though it is a year old and that there is no way we can take my collection of shells that i managed to bring home from the Caribbean
any one else been told this by other removal companies?
kind regards
rach x
Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removals Quote

Hi Rach,

it'd be worth doing a thread on this site to see if anyone has posted anything about garden equipment.

My understanding it that you can take any garden stuff providing that they are spotlessly clean of soil, etc to avoid taking any unwanted immigrants with you!

As for shells - that I don't get! Presumably you've cleaned them? Does that mean if you've got one of those seventies plant holders of threaded shells, you couldn't take it? Nonsense, surely!

Anyone else know?

Graham
Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Graham
thank you for your reply, i will do a search re: garden equipment.
i think that the reason we cant take the shells in hindsight is that i shouldn't have taken them out of Antigua and Tobago, do you think that could be the reason?
kind regards
Rach x
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I brought in some decorative boxes covered in shells, no questions asked and AQIS looked at those cartons. They're not on the banned list as far as I know - try Mr Mover, he'll know
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

mikenvonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi Graham
thank you for your reply, i will do a search re: garden equipment.
i think that the reason we cant take the shells in hindsight is that i shouldn't have taken them out of Antigua and Tobago, do you think that could be the reason?
kind regards
Rach x
High Rach,
we had three quotes for removals and they all said Lawn mowers and strimmers would be checked but if your lawn mower is quite expensive, maybe the cost of customs cleaning it will be a lot less than the cost of replacing it.
one tip one of the agents told us was to dip your forks, spades etc, once cleaned, in an old pot of paint or spray the ends with a cheap aerosol paint. that way they are definately clean.
mike
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rach,

have a look at this site and see if anything comes up.

www.affa.gov.au

i think theres also a link to aqis on there.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

A company told us that if we took our lawnmower then we would have to strip it down and get every blade of grass out. Not worth the hassle in our book.

Mandy
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:51 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had to buy a lawnmower in NZ as left ours behind (and it was a really good one) cost us $699 for a 4 stroke petrol lawnmower with an alluminium body. We had White and Company move us and they just said take the petrol out leave the cap off to let the vapours evapourate and then clean thoroughly but we couldnt be bothered with the hassle and possible checks. That was to NZ aswell might be different to oz
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the shells endangered species? As long as they are clean I dont see a problem.
I took some pebbles into Aus (sad i know) and she checked it at customs at the airport and just made sure they were clean then let me through.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

I will just add.... that no one hs electric mowers in Oz!! They have these little two-stroke engines thingies that do the job
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:46 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi guys & girls
just to let you all know that we had White & Company round this evening to give us a quote and they have told us that we can't take our lawn mower even though it is a year old and that there is no way we can take my collection of shells that i managed to bring home from the Caribbean
any one else been told this by other removal companies?
kind regards
rach x
Dear Rach,

We are using www.armishaws.com they have been bloody good so far and by far the best quote - came in at £3750 for a sole use of 40ft after a little haggling. They are a West country firm and have a base in Bournemouth too. (and yes before anyone points out they do not run the whole show the other end! - we couldn't afford £6500). We are very happy with it all so far they have even given us boxes to move into this rented house.

Max