Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Removals - Pickfords Vs Doree Bonner

View Poll Results: Which is the better removal company to Australia ?
Pickfords
50.00%
Doree Bonner
50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Removals - Pickfords Vs Doree Bonner

Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

This may sound trivial but how did you decide what to take. Are you going to be settled in rented when you get there or will you be travelling for a bit.

I'm undecided on the removals as we are going to be living with my brother in Adelaide to start with and he has all the little stuff. However, we won't be with him forever and eventually I'll need cups, plates, cutlery etc. Is is worth taking it all and keeping it boxed up for later use? I don't suppose we'll score much for it all at a boot sale!!!

Jo
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:00 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

We are planning to travel for a bit when we arrive, so we won't need it all immediately and so are arranging storage for around 6-8 months beforehand. We'll need it all in the end, though, so we're keeping it. Can't face the thought of having to replace everything.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:24 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quotes so far

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
Mr Mover said here that Michael Gerson were very good from a packing point of view. Anyone got any experience of them? Will probably get them in to quote.

John Mason are favourite at the moment but we have yet to see their quote in black and white. Very professional survey and seemingly honest guess at the total quantity, we over just over a 20ft container so we will be leaving a few things behind I suspect.

Britannia were supposed to visit yesterday but got stuck in traffic and were going to be almost 45 mins late so we called it off. We won't be rescheduling.

Had a local company called Maidmans in today, they won't export wrap at our house since we want storage for a few months prior to shipping; apparently they only export wrap once we call for the shipment from the other end. Also their storage costs seem very high, so probably won't be going with them. Good survey and nice rep though.

Got Pickfords coming on Friday to quote.
O,s full , the reason i spoke about M GERSON is that their presentation , when we open containers, is impecable nothing out of place , every thing well wrapped , but i hear.. from many from the U.K. ex-pats ,that they charge top dollar, [removalists to the elite ]......be wary of companys that don,t ship wrap on site , when your goods are wrapped on site you know what standard , they were in and you have an inventory to prove it, take them away any thing can happen , and it,s up to you to prove fault, were the damage occured, .............. MM
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:27 am
Bubble blowing member

Default Re: Quotes so far

Thanks MM
M Gerson have yet to return my first call so it's not looking good for them. We felt the same about export wrapping at the depot rather than at our house, you have confirmed our thoughts.
Cheers for the advice
Old Jul 31st 2003, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Any opinions on John Mason or Doree Bonner. They were both good and the quotes virtually identical (£3250). The John mason rep was very informative, told us what we could and couldn't take. Also about washing things down with Jeyes Fluid. None of the others mentioned this.

Doree Bonner seemed very professional and went through the whole procedure afterwards.

Mr Mover what is the max capacity of a 20ft container?

So far I have been told 1000cu ft - 1200 cu ft by different companies. Interesting to find out what it really holds.

Do they underestimate your load just in case?
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:26 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Any opinions on John Mason or Doree Bonner. They were both good and the quotes virtually identical (£3250). The John mason rep was very informative, told us what we could and couldn't take. Also about washing things down with Jeyes Fluid. None of the others mentioned this.

Doree Bonner seemed very professional and went through the whole procedure afterwards.

Mr Mover what is the max capacity of a 20ft container?

So far I have been told 1000cu ft - 1200 cu ft by different companies. Interesting to find out what it really holds.

Do they underestimate your load just in case?
we work on , 1000cu ft ,approx 30cumtrs of usable space , you have to allow for packing materials ..... MM
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

CHARLIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removals - Pickfords Vs Doree Bonner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by terryg
Guys n Gals

My hubby and I have decided to go with Bishops Move with a 40ft container. Pickfords were £800 more expensive, GB Liners came to give a quote but the sales rep clearly showed he couldn't be bothered, John Masons couldn't see us for three weeks so we had to give them a miss.

My brother-in-law who emigrated to NZ three years ago used Doree Bonner and said they were great. Only hassle they had was that customs insisted on cleaning bikes which had been cleaned before departure.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 3:38 pm
Bubble blowing member

Looks like Pickfords may be the winner in our case, but we are still waiting for the actual quote from John Mason, almost a week on so we have nothing to compare their price to at the moment. They've indicated in the region of £3800 for a 20ft container going to Townsville, QLD.

I don't expect Pickfords will be the cheapest quote but they have explained everything very clearly and won my trust. They'll also build crates for our more valuable stuff which nobody else mentioned. i was also more impressed with their volume estimation which seems to me to be more accurate / carefully done.

To sum up, Britannia were very late for the appointment so I said don't bother. Dorree Bonner and PSS are too busy to send a rep to see us within the next 2 weeks so we will submit inventories to them for a broad quote but probably no more than that. Maidmans want to export wrap our stuff at their depot after we arrive in Oz - no way. Anglo Pacific coming to quote on 15th Aug.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

have said it all before about Pickfords- unprofessional and v. disappointing.When items were damaged we were told that we had to get quotes and then send the quotes back to the UK within thirty days.Not so easy finding antique restorers in a new city when you work full time.Don't be fooled by the cheepest quote, it may cost you more in the long term. :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 6:47 am
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHARLIE
Originally posted by terryg
Guys n Gals

My hubby and I have decided to go with Bishops Move with a 40ft container. Pickfords were £800 more expensive, GB Liners came to give a quote but the sales rep clearly showed he couldn't be bothered, John Masons couldn't see us for three weeks so we had to give them a miss.

My brother-in-law who emigrated to NZ three years ago used Doree Bonner and said they were great. Only hassle they had was that customs insisted on cleaning bikes which had been cleaned before departure.

Hope this helps.
JOHN MASONS , must be making a fortune in the u.k. every container we get in, has their freight on it. [groupage] your idea of cleaning never seems to meet the AQIS OR MAS {NZ} standard...... MM