Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Removals- How long did it take?

Wikiposts

Removals- How long did it take?

Old Oct 25th 2003, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removals- How long did it take?

Originally posted by downunderpom
We did 90% of the packing ourselves, so just had two movers in for a morning to pack the furniture and load it all. We did most of it ourselves for two reasons - I've moved often, so know what the buggers get up to, and the shoddy job they'll do if you're not on top of them, and secondly to save money.
You appear to be having them in to do it all, so if I can give you one word of advice - if you don't think they're doing a good job, say so, there and then, and make them do it to your standards. After all, you are paying them, not the other way around.
As a rough guess with having worked for a removal company,living with my mother who I'm sure is part gypsy and married to my Wife who's worse than my ald lady for moving.(I have never lived in one house for more than 5 years in my 42 years)I have done approx 2500 removals,Yes you should keep an eye on the company you are using and if not happy tell them.

We used britannia and the lads were fantastic better than we ever were but our stuff doesn't get there until 16 Dec,we get there 8 nov.We have more stuff to send after christmas will use the same company,because one company was bad you can't tar them all with the same brush.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 10:59 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by mr mover
you have just summed the intire Moving industry, on the results of one move..I warned people before about Craft paper, wrapping, and to make sure they ask companies if they are using the latest plastic[bubbled] wrapping materials, you,ll be glad ot hear that Robinsons do now use this material, now if we could only get the American industry to adopt it.......... MM
Not quite - more in the order of 30 moves, living in 6 countries, and moving around within those countries, using some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Pickfords.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 4:23 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by chris hogan
As a rough guess with having worked for a removal company,living with my mother who I'm sure is part gypsy and married to my Wife who's worse than my ald lady for moving.(I have never lived in one house for more than 5 years in my 42 years)I have done approx 2500 removals,Yes you should keep an eye on the company you are using and if not happy tell them.

We used britannia and the lads were fantastic better than we ever were but our stuff doesn't get there until 16 Dec,we get there 8 nov.We have more stuff to send after christmas will use the same company,because one company was bad you can't tar them all with the same brush.
Exactly my point, Chris, which is why I posted my original post. All I was saying is that there's good and bad in any profession, and if you're not happy, say so. Don't feel that you have to put up with it when you're paying them.

My last move was in August - Sydney to Sydney - and again I made very clear to the moving guys that the sofas were valuable and important to us. These guys moved the sofas out to the van as if they were carrying their firstborn! I couldn't fault them, and they took as much care of the sofas (and the rest of our stuff) as I would have myself. If anyone is moving in and around Sydney I have no hesitation in recommending "2 Men and a Truck". They were courteous, efficient, careful and quick. Also, incidentally, reasonably priced. Can't remember exactly, but I think it worked out at about $300 for the whole thing. Worth every cent.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point

3 men 3 days to box and wrap, 3hrs 45mins to load 40ft container, 10 weeks to arrive.turns up tomorrow I know how rock stars feel living out of suitcases for that amount of time.
David
Old Oct 26th 2003, 2:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite - more in the order of 30 moves, living in 6 countries, and moving around within those countries, using some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Pickfords.
So after 30 moves you chose Robinsons because, you had a good move with them before ,? or because they were the most competitive price? ..i have noticed with a lot of people on here that uk companys like to tell people that they will take the furniture back to the DEPOT to be wrapped , personaly i would not let any thing out of my house till i knew how it was going to travel. I have seen to many botched jobs , and the yanks are the worst offenders , with the poms not far behind, 90% of jobs for o/seas in oz are wrapped and loaded , on site and if the company wants done else were tell them to sod off. and remember the guy selling you the job is not the one moving your furniture, he,s just towing the management line.......... MM
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:34 am
I like kittens.

So after 30 moves you chose Robinsons because, you had a good move with them before ,? or because they were the most competitive price? ..i have noticed with a lot of people on here that uk companys like to tell people that they will take the furniture back to the DEPOT to be wrapped , personaly i would not let any thing out of my house till i knew how it was going to travel. I have seen to many botched jobs , and the yanks are the worst offenders , with the poms not far behind, 90% of jobs for o/seas in oz are wrapped and loaded , on site and if the company wants done else were tell them to sod off. and remember the guy selling you the job is not the one moving your furniture, he,s just towing the management line.......... MM
Morning!

Chose Robinsons because of circumstances: got the phone call to say that I had the job, and had 14 days to get out to Sydney (I suppose you could call it a 'rush job' ) Phoned about 15 companies from the Yellow Pages, and Robinsons were the one and only company who could fit us in withint the time frame we had. HAdn't used them before. Glad to hear that they've abandoned that crappy paper wrap they were using. Guess I was one of the unfortunate victims of it. I should have watched the guy wrapping the sofas more closely though - sticking the gungy brown tape directly to the suede was unforgiveable.

Anyway, it's in the past, and we should only have one move left to us - the one up to our final home in the mountians. When that happens I know who I'm calling!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:41 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Morning!

Chose Robinsons because of circumstances: got the phone call to say that I had the job, and had 14 days to get out to Sydney (I suppose you could call it a 'rush job' ) Phoned about 15 companies from the Yellow Pages, and Robinsons were the one and only company who could fit us in withint the time frame we had. HAdn't used them before. Glad to hear that they've abandoned that crappy paper wrap they were using. Guess I was one of the unfortunate victims of it. I should have watched the guy wrapping the sofas more closely though - sticking the gungy brown tape directly to the suede was unforgiveable.

Anyway, it's in the past, and we should only have one move left to us - the one up to our final home in the mountians. When that happens I know who I'm calling!
we use a clear tape, many years ago when brown tape was in vogue, people would tape their washing machine lids down , we still see machines today with brown stains on the lids , the adhesive must have been pretty potent,, the only thing we use tape on is cartons , if guys even attempt to put tape on any thing ,other than cartons they are quickly brought into line....... MM
Old Oct 28th 2003, 1:06 pm
I like kittens.

we use a clear tape, many years ago when brown tape was in vogue, people would tape their washing machine lids down , we still see machines today with brown stains on the lids , the adhesive must have been pretty potent,, the only thing we use tape on is cartons , if guys even attempt to put tape on any thing ,other than cartons they are quickly brought into line....... MM
Nail varnish remover will get it off enamelled paint, like washing machines. Zoff will get it off as well, but needs more elbow grease. Also, you have to be careful that the material under the tape gunge isn't affected by acetates.

Doesn't work for suede.......

I tried over 2 dozen 'suede cleaners' here in Sydney to find someone who would professionally clean the suite. I even tried the suede cleaner's association. The only one who would touch the job with a sterilised bargepole said 'I've never done a job like this, but I'll give it a go provided you don't hold me responsible for the end result.' Needless to say, we declined his kind offer!

Any ideas on what we could use to get brown tape glue off suede? We've got the other marks covered, but not the suede.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 1:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Ours took 3 men from 8 am till 4.30 pm to pack a 20 ft container. They were from interpak (part of excess baggage) and were so fast and through it was unbelievable! Also really kind, when they packed Nialls "big dog" by mistake, they searched through 3 boxes to rescue him!!!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:30 pm
Banned

Nail varnish remover will get it off enamelled paint, like washing machines. Zoff will get it off as well, but needs more elbow grease. Also, you have to be careful that the material under the tape gunge isn't affected by acetates.

Doesn't work for suede.......

I tried over 2 dozen 'suede cleaners' here in Sydney to find someone who would professionally clean the suite. I even tried the suede cleaner's association. The only one who would touch the job with a sterilised bargepole said 'I've never done a job like this, but I'll give it a go provided you don't hold me responsible for the end result.' Needless to say, we declined his kind offer!

Any ideas on what we could use to get brown tape glue off suede? We've got the other marks covered, but not the suede.
The trouble D/P ,with these machines was they had plastic lids ,and the adhesive had etched itself into the plastic, we have used nail polish remover, as you have said but being acetone,you have to be careful as it will remove colour, Have you tried eucalyptus oil,? this can be a gentle stain remover....... MM