Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Removals - A Collection of Questions to Consider

Removals - A Collection of Questions to Consider

Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:23 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removals - A Collection of Questions to Consider

I have noticed that there are a fair few posts with regards to removals of late. When I had the assessors in to give me quotes I had a fairly long list of Q's which had been collated from various sources on this very site. For those that aren't too sure of where to start, here is a list from all the previous expats.

Feel free to add more if anything is missed or is worth putting in.

Are you as a company insured??? Where does the insurance liability end??? What about subregation clauses if I insure elsewhere???

Do you outsource your work in the UK to a third party??? What about in Oz???

Storage charges both in the UK and Oz??? Is the storage secure and what costs???

Disassembly of furniture – what needs to be and what doesn’t??? Who does it???

Will it be repacked in a warehouse or straight onto a container??? What about the groupage???

How long will it take to pack everything??? How many people will turn up to do it???

How long will it take to get to Oz???

What Cubic feet am I looking at???

What do I need to do – packing lists etc???

What should I look at taking and what should I leave???

What happens until I get an address in Oz to deliver it to???

What are customs likely to look for and inspect???

What happens on the clearing of customs??? Who does it, any extra cost involved, the procedure for clearing customs???

Customs regulations – What are they, what is prohibited???

Who do you subcontract to in Oz, are they full time removals in Oz and over here???

What happens upon delivery in Oz, who does it, empty boxes & rubbish go where, will it be unloaded and taken into house??? What about even after the storage side of things???
Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:26 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Good post there, plenty of things I would never have thought to ask.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Removals - A Collection of Questions to Consider

Originally posted by ianj
I have noticed that there are a fair few posts with regards to removals of late. When I had the assessors in to give me quotes I had a fairly long list of Q's which had been collated from various sources on this very site. For those that aren't too sure of where to start, here is a list from all the previous expats.

Feel free to add more if anything is missed or is worth putting in.

Are you as a company insured??? Where does the insurance liability end??? What about subregation clauses if I insure elsewhere???

Do you outsource your work in the UK to a third party??? What about in Oz???

Storage charges both in the UK and Oz??? Is the storage secure and what costs???

Disassembly of furniture – what needs to be and what doesn’t??? Who does it???

Will it be repacked in a warehouse or straight onto a container??? What about the groupage???

How long will it take to pack everything??? How many people will turn up to do it???

How long will it take to get to Oz???

What Cubic feet am I looking at???

What do I need to do – packing lists etc???

What should I look at taking and what should I leave???

What happens until I get an address in Oz to deliver it to???

What are customs likely to look for and inspect???

What happens on the clearing of customs??? Who does it, any extra cost involved, the procedure for clearing customs???

Customs regulations – What are they, what is prohibited???

Who do you subcontract to in Oz, are they full time removals in Oz and over here???

What happens upon delivery in Oz, who does it, empty boxes & rubbish go where, will it be unloaded and taken into house??? What about even after the storage side of things???
Just what I needed as I've got to start thinking about this. Thanks
One quick question - we leave the UK on the 31st October. When would be a good time to contact the removal company? ie; now, a month before we go etc etc????
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Troood
Just what I needed as I've got to start thinking about this. Thanks
One quick question - we leave the UK on the 31st October. When would be a good time to contact the removal company? ie; now, a month before we go etc etc????
We contacted ours 2 months prior to going. We get 3 people round and all said they only needed two weeks notice (for info we got quotes from PSS, Doree Bonner and John Mason and went with PSS).

Hope that helps

Martin
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mh929
We contacted ours 2 months prior to going. We get 3 people round and all said they only needed two weeks notice (for info we got quotes from PSS, Doree Bonner and John Mason and went with PSS).

Hope that helps

Martin

It does = thanks. I'll put it in my diary and call in August. One less thing to worry about for the time being !
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:53 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

One quick question - we leave the UK on the 31st October. When would be a good time to contact the removal company? ie; now, a month before we go etc etc???? [/QUOTE]

We spoke to PSS about our target date of July 2005 to go to OZ and they suggested we contacted them in Jan 2005 to get the ball rolling; so suggest you start now!!!!!!!!

Good luck
Old May 13th 2004, 1:18 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

bumped for all the new members who may not have seen this.

Think it may be useful.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:57 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

Bumped as I have seen a post asking about this.