Removals?

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Scott&Berni is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Removals?

All you lucky people that are already in Oz - what furniture/white goods/appliances did you ship out? (If any).
We are trying to decide whether to be strict and go light, or to ship as much as we want.
We are concerned that we might not find furnished accomodation or the shipping time may be too long.

Your help would be greatfuly received.

Yours
Concerned From Northants.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 9:42 pm
WBB

Default Re: Removals?

Originally posted by Scott&Berni
All you lucky people that are already in Oz - what furniture/white goods/appliances did you ship out? (If any).
We are trying to decide whether to be strict and go light, or to ship as much as we want.
We are concerned that we might not find furnished accomodation or the shipping time may be too long.

Yours
the wisdom we have gathered from the collective brain here is to take it all every last thing you can fit into a container.

thats what we intended to do, but then you do think about it and wonder if it might be best to start again?

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:02 am
IT nerd

MartinD is an unknown quantity at this point

We shipped our sofa's out, which were good quality in the UK, and this is worth it as such furniture is hard to come by here and very expensive. A front-loading washing machine would be good to bring also...

Our shipping was surprisingly quick to arrive - we had been in Oz about 3 weeks when it got here, and it is such a comforting thing to unpack familiar items from 'home'. I would say bring all you can. We generally find shopping in Australia has less choice, and even in furnished homes the Australian taste (lack of!) might not be up to UK standards...!

furniture-wise there is a lot of Balinese-style things, or else quite conservative old-style items. Much of it is over-priced and can be of dubious quality.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:18 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Yours
British /european fridges will not stand up to Australian conditions , front loaders ok ,make sure your mover gets them tied down properly {bowls that is ] just make sure any old or antique furniture you have has,nt to many borer holes in it as this will attract attention from AQIS ................ MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:20 am
WBB

Originally posted by mr mover
British /european fridges will not stand up to Australian conditions , front loaders ok ,make sure your mover gets them tied down properly {bowls that is ] just make sure any old or antique furniture you have has,nt to many borer holes in it as this will attract attention from AQIS ................ MM

what about british chest freezers, would they stand up to the aussie heat?

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Removals?

Originally posted by welshboybilly
what about british chest freezers, would they stand up to the aussie heat?
most uk / euro fridge/ freezers the panel wall, s are not as thick plus the motor /compressor units are smaller , so under Oz conditions they are working their Arse off.......... MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Mover,

Our plan is to ship our UK fridge out. It is big one and will be used as a second fridge (beer and wine etc). We have space in the 20foot container and would get little or nothing for it here.

Is this stupid????

Ken

Thanks for your help
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Th e way we are looking at it is we would have to take about half of a container for essentials ie the suite, work stuff, kids stuff and sentimental bollocks that i cant bring myself to part with, the quotes we have had it will only cost about another £1000 to fill the whole thing and take most of our furniture and lots of our stuff that we'd get peanuts for here and would cost a fortune to replace over there, also we have been told that a whole container will take less time to go door to door than part of a container. Removal companies will give you sailing dates and the date the shipment is due to arrive in aus then advise you to allow between 7 & 10 days for it to clear customs and quarantine and be delivered to your aussie abode.

Lynn
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Scott&Berni is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
Mr Mover,

Our plan is to ship our UK fridge out. It is big one and will be used as a second fridge (beer and wine etc). We have space in the 20foot container and would get little or nothing for it here.

Is this stupid????

Ken

Thanks for your help

Ken and Nel
What is the dimensions of your container 20ft by what. if you don't mind me asking...how much is that costing? Where are you shipping to? We have lots to find out about shipping still.

Excellent idea about the beer fridge. We can use it for the heaps of VB.
Cheers:PARTY:
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Scott & Bernie

I'm not ken and nel but i thought i'd answer as i got about 40 million quotes last week and i'm in northants too, a 20ft container is about 1050 cubic feet and is costing us just shy of £3500 all our quotes were much the same, this includes all packing and wrapping which will take 2 days and a half day to load the container, it then gets driven to the port and shipped to fremantle as we are going to perth, once its cleared customs it will be delivered to us, insurance is extra at about 2,70-3 percent of the value of your goods.

Hope this helps

Lynn
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ken and Nel
What is the dimensions of your container 20ft by what. if you don't mind me asking...how much is that costing? Where are you shipping to? We have lots to find out about shipping still.

Excellent idea about the beer fridge. We can use it for the heaps of VB.
Cheers:PARTY:
Scott and Berni,

A 20 foot container is approx 20 foot long, 8 foot high, 8 foot 6 inch wide.

I am not doing the usual "get a removal company in" removal. I got quotes from a number of the usual removal companies - £2500 to £3000 to do the packing and shipping - Scotland to Melbourne. Then I called a local shipping / freight forwarder that I have worked with and they quoted £1200 + VAT but I have to do the packing. The shippers handle all the paperwork though I have to make a detailed manifest.

I have access to loads of quality packing material and experience of shipping stuff round the world as well as having time to pack up boxes. This is saving me money and keeping me from going crazy waiting for the visas.....

WARNING !! Things have to be expertly packed as others on this site will tell you. You have to see how containers are handled to believe what they go through.

Hope this helps,

Ken of Ken and Nel
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:18 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
Mr Mover,

Is this stupid????

Ken

Thanks for your help
Should be ok, as beer fridge as long as you dont have to rely on it, nothing worse in 40deg heat than have the fridge go kaput, with you doing your own packing ,just make sure you dont use any boxes that have had plant materials ,in them, ie fruit boxes, flower pacs, or those foam containers , that they put meat or sea food in, bit embarrasing getting a bill because we , have repacked your shipment, because AQIS wont release it......... MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mr mover
Should be ok, as beer fridge as long as you dont have to rely on it, nothing worse in 40deg heat than have the fridge go kaput, with you doing your own packing ,just make sure you dont use any boxes that have had plant materials ,in them, ie fruit boxes, flower pacs, or those foam containers , that they put meat or sea food in, bit embarrasing getting a bill because we , have repacked your shipment, because AQIS wont release it......... MM

Thanks Mr M,

Any more advice is welcome.

Ken