British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Removalists arrive tomorrow aaargh! - wee question? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/removalists-arrive-tomorrow-aaargh-wee-question-767297/)

Mazza12 Aug 5th 2012 10:34 am

Removalists arrive tomorrow aaargh! - wee question?

Ok our stuff is being packed up tomorrow for shipping so as you can imagine I'm in the midst of a total madhouse. So I'm getting kitchen stuff ready and can't get all the crumbs out of the toaster - will this be a problem for AQIS? I know it's a pretty small thing in the grand scheme of things but everything is stressing me out at the moment!!! Is it too early for alcohol???

Any advice from you wise folks is appreciated

Mummy3 Aug 5th 2012 10:41 am

Re: Removalists arrive tomorrow aaargh! - wee question?

We got most out but unpacking this end there were still some... And we got ours 2 weeks ago.

Mummy3 Aug 5th 2012 10:41 am

As in we got ours back from AQIS on the 26th July.

Mazza12 Aug 5th 2012 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10211271)
As in we got ours back from AQIS on the 26th July.

Ok thanks for that. We'll just do our best. Hope things are going well for you:)

moneypenny20 Aug 5th 2012 12:17 pm

Vacuum cleaner?

Mazza12 Aug 5th 2012 5:40 pm

Why did I not think of that Moneypenny? - cheers!:thumbsup:

Iwannabethere Aug 6th 2012 10:36 am

Don't forget to empty the vacuum cleaner afterwards! Removals men got to ours before I had the chance so I ended up importing dust bunnies!!! Oh, and they grabbed the plastic thingy in between the two sinks where the dead teabags and other sundry organic waste things went before being taken to the compost bin. Smelled delightful after six weeks at sea! I am amazed AQIS didn't open that box, just to make sure we weren't smuggling in a corpse! :eek:

They did confiscate my PLASTIC Christmas fir cones though. I know they were good quality ones but they couldn't realistically have been mistaken for the real thing!

patsmb Aug 7th 2012 10:56 am

Just make sure most things are perfect -but AQUIS took a wand off my Santa and a Xmas dec so maybe not pack them
They also steam cleaned and pulled to pieces and elctric lawnmower so think twice about garden tools too
Good luck:thumbup:

patsmb Aug 7th 2012 11:23 am

Aquis can be VERY picky car had to be steam cleaned twice here despite it being done in the UK
Its untreated wood ,cane etc they look at closely too

moneypenny20 Aug 7th 2012 11:33 am

Originally Posted by patsmb (Post 10214587)
Aquis can be VERY picky car had to be steam cleaned twice here despite it being done in the UK
Its untreated wood ,cane etc they look at closely too

Untreated wood and cane is not allowed in so don't even bother sending it. Garden furniture, machinery etc has to be cleaned within an inch of its life. No problem bringing any of it providing it's clean.

Mazza12 Aug 7th 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for all the advice and good luck wishes folks! It was all a bit of a whirlwind yesterday. The packers certainly weren't discerning so I can understand why full dustbins, compost buckets etc could be bubble wrapped and packed if you weren't careful. I power hosed my bike and didn't include any untreated wood so hopefully it'll be all good. Fingers crossed it all arrives in one piece on the other side :fingerscrossed:

abi31 Aug 7th 2012 9:59 pm

Does anyone know if there is an issue with transporting animal products - eg horse hair?

carolinephillips Aug 7th 2012 10:37 pm

You cannot bring in beeswax candles or products, so leave those behind.

DD had a cello with a horsehair bow, which came in without problems.

Mummy3 Aug 8th 2012 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Mazza12 (Post 10215425)
Thanks for all the advice and good luck wishes folks! It was all a bit of a whirlwind yesterday. The packers certainly weren't discerning so I can understand why full dustbins, compost buckets etc could be bubble wrapped and packed if you weren't careful. I power hosed my bike and didn't include any untreated wood so hopefully it'll be all good. Fingers crossed it all arrives in one piece on the other side :fingerscrossed:

Mmm, had a few surprises when unpacking!!

Lois1 Aug 8th 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10215818)
Mmm, had a few surprises when unpacking!!

Like what?! Our packers started today and are back tomorrow !