Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Removal costs - Perth to Adelaide

Removal costs - Perth to Adelaide

Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Removal costs - Perth to Adelaide

Hi guys

This may sound like a strange question since we're still in the UK, but does anyone have any idea of the cost involved in moving from Perth to Adelaide?

To explain, we fly 14 weeks tomorrow, nearly everything is booked for going to Perth, flights, the dog, and still in the middle of sorting out the furniture shipping (20 foot container). But to be honest, like many others on here we loved Perth but are worried about whether or not we will be able to afford to live there. We don't have a house to sell here therefore are not bringing a huge amount of money with us (approx £15,000 if we pay off the student loan before we leave).

John's an ACCA qualified accountant so it appears he will have to study for another 3 years when we get there to be seen as qualified as such, so is very likely to take a big pay cut (about £10,000 by all acounts) and I'm a Housing Officer here so not exactly qualified to do anything in particular as such but can turn my hand to a lot of things, so am also likely to take a big cut in wages, probably losing about the same again.

So, yup we knew all that, but looking at the huge prices of property now, we're thinking we will never be able to afford to buy in Perth. We've been planning all this for nearly two years and now at the last minute we're debating on changing all our plans.

We didnt visit Adelaide when we did our Rekkie trip and are really regretting that, as I don;t think I could just make the decision to move somewhere I've never been, what if we didnt like it for whatever readon? No offence to those of you in Melbourne but we did visit there and just knew instantly if wasnt for us and we wouldnt be happy there, whyat if we felt the same about Adelaide?

Anyway, getting to the point, we're debating on going to Perth, visiting Adelaide as soon as we can and depending on how things go, moving to Adelaide if we liked it and felt we really couldn't afford to live in Perth after all, just have no idea what the costs involved in this would be?

Any help would be much appreciated, and if you feel we're being daft, you can tell us that an all. Sorry it was so long winded.......can you tell I'm stressed????

thanks very much

Nikki
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:18 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal costs - Perth to Adelaide

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Hi guys

This may sound like a strange question since we're still in the UK, but does anyone have any idea of the cost involved in moving from Perth to Adelaide?

To explain, we fly 14 weeks tomorrow, nearly everything is booked for going to Perth, flights, the dog, and still in the middle of sorting out the furniture shipping (20 foot container). But to be honest, like many others on here we loved Perth but are worried about whether or not we will be able to afford to live there. We don't have a house to sell here therefore are not bringing a huge amount of money with us (approx £15,000 if we pay off the student loan before we leave).

John's an ACCA qualified accountant so it appears he will have to study for another 3 years when we get there to be seen as qualified as such, so is very likely to take a big pay cut (about £10,000 by all acounts) and I'm a Housing Officer here so not exactly qualified to do anything in particular as such but can turn my hand to a lot of things, so am also likely to take a big cut in wages, probably losing about the same again.

So, yup we knew all that, but looking at the huge prices of property now, we're thinking we will never be able to afford to buy in Perth. We've been planning all this for nearly two years and now at the last minute we're debating on changing all our plans.

We didnt visit Adelaide when we did our Rekkie trip and are really regretting that, as I don;t think I could just make the decision to move somewhere I've never been, what if we didnt like it for whatever readon? No offence to those of you in Melbourne but we did visit there and just knew instantly if wasnt for us and we wouldnt be happy there, whyat if we felt the same about Adelaide?

Anyway, getting to the point, we're debating on going to Perth, visiting Adelaide as soon as we can and depending on how things go, moving to Adelaide if we liked it and felt we really couldn't afford to live in Perth after all, just have no idea what the costs involved in this would be?

Any help would be much appreciated, and if you feel we're being daft, you can tell us that an all. Sorry it was so long winded.......can you tell I'm stressed????

thanks very much

Nikki
Property price in some parts of perth are starting to come down now. That said, I've lived in both cities and have to say I prefer adelaide. Maybe you should PM Wendy. She moved from Bradford to Adelaide a while ago and could help you with local info.

Removalists: Try this link, they are an OZ wide removal firm.

www.grace.com.au

Hope that helps. Best of luck
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:22 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

For local news and info on living in Perth check out www.news.com.au/perthnow
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

thanks very much

Nikki

Hey Nikki, Adelaide's lovely, after all I live here

No seriously, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

thanks very much

Nikki
Nikki, if you are looking at moving from Perth to Adelaide, try and time your move in around june -july, very quiet and you will not have any problems getting a good deal [6-7k] for full service pack and Transport.
Leave it till November- march the price can be upwards of {10k] for the same move.
Reason being all the military are being posted over this period, and a lot of corporate moving is done over the X-mas break.
Not often i agree with Kiwi-child, and i am biased but www.grace.com.au
is a good place to start....................... mm
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:37 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

John's an ACCA qualified accountant so it appears he will have to study for another 3 years when we get there to be seen as qualified
What line of work is he in? Unless it is financial accounting, especially for an audit / accounting firm, I don't see any need to retrain. I am ACA rather than ACCA but have found it to be no barrier at all in getting a job in systems / management accounting. A couple of guys I have worked with have earned in the $60K - $80K bracket with accounting technician / accounting degree qualifications only.

I take your point about house prices here, and I have to admit I may well not have come to Perth if prices were as high as they are now. As I am sure you will have read on here the general impression is prices cannot go any higher and will start to "correct" by anything up to 20% so by the time the 6 months runs out on your first lease you might be seeing things differently.

But I love it here. I also know of a few families that have moved from Adelaide to Perth as they could not settle there.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Hi guys

thanks very much

Nikki
We have just had quotes for our move to Melbourne (may give you an idea)....$1200 (for our 2 cars) and $4500 for a 20ft container, including packing at the Perth end as we prefer to unpack our own stuff at the other end. This is with Kents.

If you change you mind now you may be able to divert your container to Adelaide at no (or minimal) cost, some friends of ours did this with their stuff that was heading to Perth when they decided Melbourne was a better location for them.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers

Paul