Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Removal company want more money

Wikiposts

Removal company want more money

Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Removal company want more money

Originally Posted by Wol
But, as I said above, it would depend on whether the contract was specifically for *all* the goods or to fill a 20' container. If the latter, did the contract detail exactly how the excess delivery would be costed. As you say, the devil is in the contract detail.
Sorry - I may have misread it. I took the OP as saying that the first shipment, the 20ft container, was supposed to go door to door, but the agents here are saying that it is going to cost. Thus it was the original container that had the first contract and that is the one that has the issue.

It seems the shared container has not arrived as yet thus it's only the initial one that has the problem. If it was all the goods or just the 20ft container, the answer would still be to refer to the original contract.

If it was the second, shared shipment it would be more understandable but I took it as the first shipment?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Because with most door to door you have to be 30km from the port of delivery. Thats what John Mason's told us when we moved. Also agree with the pp about 250 miles isn't exactly two minutes away and will require extra work and time, how much that would actually cost I don't know!
That's what we were told by John Mason. However this end, with Wridgways, no one asked us for more money to deliver to 120kms from port. We paid JM for door to door service and that was what we got.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice

Originally Posted by slipshot
Is it not just down to what the contract says?

I assume when you obtained the quotes you outlined where you intended to live. If you said Melbourne, for example, they would quote giving you xx km from the port. If you then went to live in Bendigo, they would be justified in saying you are outside of their limits thus have to pay more.

The key thing is the contract - I know we have it very clearly laid out in there as to what was covered and what was not and I'm sure they are all the same. Contract says Geraldton - you are fine and should argue. If it says Perth Metro - you signed it without reading it and thus only have yourselves to blame.

Fairly simple really...
I agree with the above - its all about the contract.

How did you pay the original amount?

If you paid by credit card - you MAY have some coverage under the consumer credit act for the original amount paid - it would all come down to the fine detail of the contract. Let me know if a credit card was used and if so I'll tell you about our recent win with a domestic removal company.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The bill of lading is the key to all this.

You should have been issued with a bill of lading and on that bill of lading it will give the terms of shipment. Normally about one third down on the left hand side. If it is door to door it will list the destination point as the final point of transport. If it says anything else then it is only paid to there.

The bill of lading is a legal document, and the issuer has to stick to it's terms. As you used a third party, and original liner (master) bill will also exist.

I'm guessing that with the LCL shipment the carrier only paid up to the destination LCL depot, thereby leaving you to pay the delivery. But check the bill of lading. If it shows your home town as the destination then legally it is paid for.

Is the carrier you used a member of a professional organisation?
Old May 1st 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The bill of lading is the key to all this.

You should have been issued with a bill of lading and on that bill of lading it will give the terms of shipment. Normally about one third down on the left hand side. If it is door to door it will list the destination point as the final point of transport. If it says anything else then it is only paid to there.

The bill of lading is a legal document, and the issuer has to stick to it's terms. As you used a third party, and original liner (master) bill will also exist.

I'm guessing that with the LCL shipment the carrier only paid up to the destination LCL depot, thereby leaving you to pay the delivery. But check the bill of lading. If it shows your home town as the destination then legally it is paid for.

Is the carrier you used a member of a professional organisation?
Interesting - I do not remember us getting a bill of lading, but maybe we did without me knowing exactly what it was. I know the contract we signed, also legal, stated the destination details so went off that as something we physically signed. Why would you have two different documents that need to be signed, which could contradict each other (not being facetious, just curious, for info)?

Thanks
Old May 1st 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

What does the bill of lading look like out of interest?
Old May 1st 2009, 4:09 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go....................
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101481361033
.....mm
Old May 1st 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by buchanan
We had our stuff packed and shipped on 21st Jan into a 20ft container for delivery to Geraldton (250 miles from Perth) we were quoted £3400 and paid this as we thought it was a good price compared to the other quotes we got and the removal company were excellent, however all of our items did not fit into the container so we are now having that stuff shipped out in a shared container at an extra cost
Just to jump back in on this coz, its going all over the place.

In real terms is seems quite simple!

Whoever you went with they came and quoted your space required - or did you simply decided to have a 20 footer assuming it was OK, either way I suggest the shippers sent in their surveyor to quantify your proposed shipment. If not..your problems started then.

I would assume at that time he would have said that a 20ft container would not be enough. If he did I also assume that he would have said you also need XXX cu foot as groupage , shared container.

What I have lost track of is why all costs were not given to you before you even started to CHOSE which shipper you wanted. IF you only contacted the one company, the logic is still a quote for 1 20 ft container packed and shipped plus groupage at £900 cost.
The quote would have or should have taken both shipments into
account. OR you may have had two separate quotes.

If the shipper quoted you and agreed you needed a 20ft coantainer and it was too small...in my book...tough on them ..they quoted you and they got it wrong. I would argue that by giving a quote which you accepted , that quote then stopped you looking at other for a comparison. All nomal cost should be at their terms and condition ie delivery door to door.
Having said that we used John Mason - Never again and not get a recomend from us - the small print on delivery also states a specific distance ours was 30klm from Sydney metro.
Kents the aussie side wanted $249 for the extra milage, about 70klm.

I dont understand why you were not offered groupage on a 40 ft container!

Finally, whoever and however you ended up with two separate shipments, you should have two separate sets of documentation...if only because of the Customs inspections involved at different dates.

So the delivery terms should have been notified on each load.

The solution must be in the documentation.

The one thing I would do is ask for a written explanation IF the documentation is wrong or if you consider that your contracted shipper has involved you in a daisy chain of contract shippers. To me it all started in the UK if you did not understand the costs involved at the start.

Sorry if this just adds more confusion to the thread!
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its a legal document that shows the shipper address, the consignee address, the place of receipt, place of destination, a full description of the cargo, and the terms of shipment. It shows the vessel name and the date the cargo shipped.

It is signed by the shipping line or agent. Most likely you will have the consolidators or removal companies bill of lading, which "piggybacks" the ocean shipping line bill of lading.

The important thing though is that what is contained in the bill of lading is in effect your legal contract with the consolidator.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

If I remeber right, we had to pay more for more than 30 km away, so as previous said about $250. but we knew this before hand and it was in our contract. Not the address but we knew the approx location. Also Kent this end. WE had no probs at all, couple of items had to go for fumigation but we half expected it as they were antiques with previous woodworm, but only cost us $60 I think and we went to pick them up from Sydney.

I would check your small print and see what you were quoted, $2000 sound an awful lot of money to travel such a small distance. Perhaps look into someone else moving it for you then ask for a refund of the unpacking fee.

Jo
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future

Just been going through all the documentation again. We were told we had approx 850cubic feet of stuff and that a 20ft container would hold approx 1100 cubic feet, so we thought it would all fit - it didn't!! So they are sending the rest of the stuff groupage - approx 220 cubic feet and have charged us £920 for it. Our receipt says pack a 20 ft container, which I suppose they did but it didn't all fit, it also says delivery to 'nr. Perth' which in Australia terms Geraldton is!! It does say door to door delivery, pack/unpack but no mention of Geraldton on this receipt. (I have now requested a bill of lading to see what that says) Wridgways say they were told it was delivery to Perth metro which is why we have had to pay the extra $2000 (£1000)
For some reason the groupage items say delivery to Geraldton, so we are not sure what went wrong - everyone is blaming everyone else.
Who do we blame, Eardleys our local removal company who used John Masons, who then used Wridgways at this end. I feel that Eardleys have messed up and have not bothered to check where Geraldton is and just
assumed it was near Perth. What do we do now, how do we claim our money back - can we claim it back for the items that did not fit and for the extra delivery charge this end?
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buchanan
Just been going through all the documentation again. We were told we had approx 850cubic feet of stuff and that a 20ft container would hold approx 1100 cubic feet, so we thought it would all fit - it didn't!! So they are sending the rest of the stuff groupage - approx 220 cubic feet and have charged us £920 for it. Our receipt says pack a 20 ft container, which I suppose they did but it didn't all fit, it also says delivery to 'nr. Perth' which in Australia terms Geraldton is!! It does say door to door delivery, pack/unpack but no mention of Geraldton on this receipt. (I have now requested a bill of lading to see what that says) Wridgways say they were told it was delivery to Perth metro which is why we have had to pay the extra $2000 (£1000)
For some reason the groupage items say delivery to Geraldton, so we are not sure what went wrong - everyone is blaming everyone else.
Who do we blame, Eardleys our local removal company who used John Masons, who then used Wridgways at this end. I feel that Eardleys have messed up and have not bothered to check where Geraldton is and just
assumed it was near Perth. What do we do now, how do we claim our money back - can we claim it back for the items that did not fit and for the extra delivery charge this end?
To my mind, your only claim is with the agents who you had the contract with - those in the UK. The Aus end are only acting on instruction from the UK end, so you have to work it that way.

This is when you wish Australia was slightly closer to the UK - in distance and time-zone!
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you have a contract that you signed - surely you must have. This would lay out everything and I'd be very surprised if the contract just says 'near Perth' since that is so ambiguous and one thing contracts should not be are ambiguous!

To this extent, I would say you a) should not pay anything, and b) speak to the company on Monday to have a proper discussion. In simple terms, you can say that you knew where you were going beforehand, the contract says near Perth and thus does not say Perth Metro etc and thus everything points towards the fact you have been clear and they have not - thus their problem...

Give them hell. Muppets
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:16 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Two companies to use.........
ALLIED PICKFORDS
CROWN/ GRACE
You get the same company world wide , they dont use agents...........mm
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:40 am
Senior Moment

Do you have a contract that you signed - surely you must have. This would lay out everything and I'd be very surprised if the contract just says 'near Perth' since that is so ambiguous and one thing contracts should not be are ambiguous!

To this extent, I would say you a) should not pay anything, and b) speak to the company on Monday to have a proper discussion. In simple terms, you can say that you knew where you were going beforehand, the contract says near Perth and thus does not say Perth Metro etc and thus everything points towards the fact you have been clear and they have not - thus their problem...

Give them hell. Muppets
The bill of lading, as I said, is the document that will tell you where it is paid through to.

If you do decide not to pay for the moment just bear in mind that the container / groupage will most likely incur storage charges as they will normally want money up front ..... if this is the case then it will be you thats paying the storage charges on a rate per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.