Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Remote Garage Opener - Broken

Remote Garage Opener - Broken

Old May 24th 2008, 6:00 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice
Default Remote Garage Opener - Broken

Does anyone happen to recognise these symptoms; when i press the remote, instead of opening/closing, the motor housing makes four or five clicks, which sound like a car indicator.

I can get it done on the insurance, and the manufacturer reckons it might need a new "logic board", but won't give me a price for this!!

There was no warning, it was working fine, then it broke.

Any ideas??

Ta.
Old May 24th 2008, 6:03 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remote Garage Opener - Broken

Originally Posted by Urno
Does anyone happen to recognise these symptoms; when i press the remote, instead of opening/closing, the motor housing makes four or five clicks, which sound like a car indicator.

I can get it done on the insurance, and the manufacturer reckons it might need a new "logic board", but won't give me a price for this!!

Any ideas??

Ta.
Bunnings sell a heap of these things. Not sure you how you match them up though.
Old May 24th 2008, 7:34 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by busterboy
Bunnings sell a heap of these things. Not sure you how you match them up though.
Hmmm. I'm sure one motor is much the same as the other.....any ideas how much they are?
Old May 24th 2008, 7:39 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I'm sure one motor is much the same as the other.....any ideas how much they are?
You'd be better asking an installer of the doors that you have for a quote. That is probably why the manufacturer would not give you a price as they would only deal with distributors and installers. Google the brand and it should have links to installers, or contact the manufacturer and ask to be put in contact with one of their approved installers.
Old May 24th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Any ideas??

Ta.
Ours did that in our rental when we moved in. Fiddled a bit and it worked ok. There was a setting that stopped it opening and closing for security. Probably not the same but worth looking at.
Old May 24th 2008, 10:41 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

One of our doors did that last year.

We got someone to come and service it. Turns out the chain was lose and needed tightening, (like a bike chain). We had it fixed as part of the 'service' of the two openers. Less than $200 for both, and a year's guarantee on the servicing.

M
Old May 24th 2008, 10:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

What is the make?

We have had quite a few similar problems with our garage doors and gates. Most of them have various settings such as torque limiters, timeouts, etc which can often be just outside limits and which can be re-set easily. If you have the manuals or can download them it's often just a case of working through the options.

My guess would be that the doors have got "sticky" and the torque limiter is stopping the motor running them. If you can "help" the doors to move this would be the case and a good lube of the side runners with silicone lubricant would possibly work.
Old May 24th 2008, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

We had an electric garage door for years in the UK. It used to play funny fellas sometimes. The very first thing you should do is turn off the power to the motor and put it back on again. That's what the service guy told me to do and it worked 9 times out of 10.

After that, try making sure there is no blockage on the track or as someone else, said the chain looks taut. You can disconnect the motor and open the door manaully to check if there is a physical problem or block.