Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Remortgaging UK property from Aus

Remortgaging UK property from Aus

Old Nov 26th 2015, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

hawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nice
Default Remortgaging UK property from Aus

Hi All.

My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum, however I am after some advice with regards to remortgaging my UK property from Australia.

I am currently looking to purchase a property in Australia and to do that, I would like to free up some cash by remortgaging my UK property for the deposit.

Financially I can do this. I have run the numbers and they work. The proble. Is that being an expat causes the banks to say no. If I was doing a buy to let, it would be possible. However my sister moved into the house, which was to help her out and banks say you cannot buy to let from a family member.

I just wondered if anyone had been in this situation and if there was a way around this? It is possible, I know. Barclays said they will do it, but require a GBP25k bond for international banking. (However multiple people from Barclays/ Woolwich have said different things.)

I would appreciate any advice, as it appears that things are geared against you once you have left the UK.

Many thanks

Hawkwind
Old Nov 26th 2015, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remortgaging UK property from Aus

I was in exactly the same boat, and did not find a solution, and I do have a buy to let mortgage in place. Essentially nobody was willing to remortgage it for anything approaching the same rate as I have now, or without bonds. I've also had problems with some shares that I have back there - the company holding them have frozen my account as I'm no longer UK based and I'm having a helluva time trying to get them released....

So good luck....