Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Remember why you went!!!

Wikiposts

Remember why you went!!!

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dotty
Yeah we have aircondit, however I cant sleep with it on, dries out my sinus or something, husband reckons I make strange nasal sounds all night when the AC is on. (No smutty comment please this could be a serious medical condition)

Besides, 6 months locked in with the Airconditoner is boring, I could end up involved in some silly Net group or something. No I shall stick to my dangerously expensive escapes to my fave London shops, would you like me to bring you back some real live pommie baked beans this year or some new M&S Y fronts??
Cold weather can be just as grim in the UK without central heating as hot weather in QLD without A/C. For me I'll stick with the hot weather.
Forget the BB but size 34 M&S Y fronts
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 2:00 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Cold weather can be just as grim in the UK without central heating as hot weather in QLD without A/C. For me I'll stick with the hot weather.
Forget the BB but size 34 M&S Y fronts
Y fronts are bad at the best of times but in this heat they have to be able to breathe.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
Y fronts are bad at the best of times but in this heat they have to be able to breathe.
You wear what you like I'll wear what I like and den everyone's appy.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Yeah we have aircondit, however I cant sleep with it on, dries out my sinus or something, husband reckons I make strange nasal sounds all night when the AC is on. (No smutty comment please this could be a serious medical condition)

Besides, 6 months locked in with the Airconditoner is boring, I could end up involved in some silly Net group or something. No I shall stick to my dangerously expensive escapes to my fave London shops, would you like me to bring you back some real live pommie baked beans this year or some new M&S Y fronts??
I saw on TV the other night that Australians' breath more air conditioned air than any other country in the world and that there are major health issues with this, especially when units aren't serviced / cleaned properly.

We have evap. aircon and I still ended up with 2 throat infections during the summer, something I've never had before.

I try and put up with the heat rather than have the aircon on.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby put the Aircon on today for the first time since we arrived as he worked up a sweat hoovering (but that's another story)... and spring has only just kicked in.

I'm amazed at the speed in which Spring arrived, going from bare branches to full leaves in less than a week. I didn't even notice buds.

Mash

Originally posted by Kath
I saw on TV the other night that Australians' breath more air conditioned air than any other country in the world and that there are major health issues with this, especially when units aren't serviced / cleaned properly.

We have evap. aircon and I still ended up with 2 throat infections during the summer, something I've never had before.

I try and put up with the heat rather than have the aircon on.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Wait till January when Perth is having a little 43 ish and Qld has your armpits sticking to your sides. Or those lovely claggy nights when a sheet makes you hot and your idea of heaven is lying on the ensuite floor to get cool.

Hard to believe now but you will dream about that cold cosy weather. Or in my mental case will pay $20,000 a year to get 4 weeks of that weather.

No the pommie 'heatwave' (snicker snicker) did not prepare you for this

Yep!

Dotty is quite corrrect!

The summer in Brizzy is really unbearable! Nothing can prepare you for it, it is even worse than here in Hong Kong (and thats saying something!).

I had no Air-Con in my house so on a REALLY HOT Sunday afternoon we would make our way to a cinema, (Sunnybank Shopping Centre), to watch a couple of films......just to cool down!

The last thing I wanted to do was go down to the beach, way too hot for that!

Seems we Brits are never happy, either its too hot with too much sun or too cold and wet eh?

Cheers
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:30 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Remember why you went!!!

Originally posted by leanda
OK its the first day of autumn in the UK, last night there was torrential rain for about an hour, the lovely M25 had a massive crash and consequently it took me over an hour to drive 10 mins back from a kids birthday party because of the tail backs going back miles and miles. Its really got cold today, heating has gone on, winter coats are coming out, and you know that we have seen the last of the summer until next year ( if we get one).

So remember the times when you were out scrapping the car in the middle of winter, or your standing in the playground waiting for the kids to come out of school and you can't feel your hands cause you are so cold, or you go swimming and come out of the pool and its so cold and your hair is dripping wet you don't bother going again until the summer time. Remember??? Makes dolphins, hot weather and beaches and even smog not seem so bad.

Seems to me that none of the British people coming over to live in Oz have lived through an Aussie winter. Well I'am talking about Perth anyway. I arrived in march (blistering heat, 43c) and since about the end of May it has been cold. I also have two Quilts on my bed and have done since May and will continue by the looks of it untill about November!!!????

I do tend to feel the cold a bit more than hubby, but even he wore a t-shirt to bed the other night!!

I was NEVER this cold in the Uk. Sorry, but I wasn't. I certainly didn't have to have a quilt on me whilst watchin tv!!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Remember why you went!!!

Originally posted by janeyray
Seems to me that none of the British people coming over to live in Oz have lived through an Aussie winter. Well I'am talking about Perth anyway. I arrived in march (blistering heat, 43c) and since about the end of May it has been cold. I also have two Quilts on my bed and have done since May and will continue by the looks of it untill about November!!!????

I do tend to feel the cold a bit more than hubby, but even he wore a t-shirt to bed the other night!!

I was NEVER this cold in the Uk. Sorry, but I wasn't. I certainly didn't have to have a quilt on me whilst watchin tv!!
Well I've lived through 4 now in Brisbane, and I woldn't have the nerve to call it a winter more like a bad English summer, without the rain.
In fact I would say the Brits would be delighted to have the average summer weather the same as any of the winters I've had here so far.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It's been like a step back in time to bedsit land when you were too poor to afford heating.

Now I'm just too obstinate (and too poor) - just won't accept the fact that it's cold and we need to buy a gas fire or something - we're in Australia for Gods Sake!!

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not one to feel the cold, used to drive convertible with roof down in January. !! Always wore short sleeve shirts in winter. (outside as well as in) Have never owned a jumper or coat.

Here we are using two duvets and have heater on every night. I find it OK during the day, but that sudden temp drop at night is no good for the old joints. Dont think watching the blinds blowing about with draft through the windows helps.

Sure miss the double glazing. Roll on summer my joints need heat.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
I am not one to feel the cold, used to drive convertible with roof down in January. !! Always wore short sleeve shirts in winter. (outside as well as in) Have never owned a jumper or coat.

Here we are using two duvets and have heater on every night. I find it OK during the day, but that sudden temp drop at night is no good for the old joints. Dont think watching the blinds blowing about with draft through the windows helps.

Sure miss the double glazing. Roll on summer my joints need heat.

It must be a different kind of cold then eh.
9 degrees in Perth must feel like 21 degrees UK????
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Houses here are designed to be cool in the summer. Less attention is paid to sealing potential draughts and the standard of insulation is lower. Central heating is rare and I still haven't come across an airing cupboard.

Something that might change the situation is the increasing amount of air con units. To keep the house cool you need insulation. The air con units aren't bad heaters as well.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:58 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Can't you make these changes yourselves (to a certain degree)...

My in laws live in mount gambier, which apart from taz and the alps, is about as cold as you can get in winter in aus. Thier house is lovely and warm in winter.

The have reverse cycle air con ducted into each room, double glazing and what they call "pink bats" in the loft, which is just a thick layer of fibreglass. The pink bats were dirt cheap, and i was over when they had the air con fitted. It was'nt expensive, i can't remember how much, but it was less than it cost for us to get our chimney re-opened over here, and a fireplace put in.

Now, i KNOW you can get that heat shrink double glazing over there, and you can get your roof cavity insulated, get some draft excluders in etc. I simply can't believe there is nothing you lots can do about teh cold bar sit there and complain about it.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

It must be a different kind of cold then eh.
Think its more to do with the sudden drops in temperature that make it seem colder than it is, also you soon climatise. ! When we arrived 15 degrees felt reasonably warm now its bloody cold. I guess after 40 degree summer 25 is going to be a bit on the chilly side.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by PeteY
Can't you make these changes yourselves (to a certain degree)...

My in laws live in mount gambier, which apart from taz and the alps, is about as cold as you can get in winter in aus. Thier house is lovely and warm in winter.

The have reverse cycle air con ducted into each room, double glazing and what they call "pink bats" in the loft, which is just a thick layer of fibreglass. The pink bats were dirt cheap, and i was over when they had the air con fitted. It was'nt expensive, i can't remember how much, but it was less than it cost for us to get our chimney re-opened over here, and a fireplace put in.

Now, i KNOW you can get that heat shrink double glazing over there, and you can get your roof cavity insulated, get some draft excluders in etc. I simply can't believe there is nothing you lots can do about teh cold bar sit there and complain about it.
Open the door and the flies come in,
Shut the door and yer sweating again.

N' if yer light a candle there's no darkness to curse.

Last edited by Megalania; Sep 23rd 2003 at 11:21 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.