Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Remedies - natural and allopathic

Remedies - natural and allopathic

Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:32 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remedies - natural and allopathic

Hi. Can anyone give me some advice about importing remedies into Oz please?

I will be bringing essential oils, homoeopathic remedies, Bach flower remedies, Australian Bush Essences, some multivitamins....

....and some ventolin!!

What's the customs status on the above? Some of the natural remedies are for personal use, some for business. Do they have to be declared?

Also, I have trade accounts in the UK for all my natural remedies and am planning on keeping them as all my suppliers deliver to Oz. How do I fare with Customs when I get remedies shipped in the future?

And what about candles? I have a large stock of tealights that I use for my work - can I bring them with me?

Sorry for all the questions....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:39 pm

Default Re: Remedies - natural and allopathic

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi. Can anyone give me some advice about importing remedies into Oz please?

I will be bringing essential oils, homoeopathic remedies, Bach flower remedies, Australian Bush Essences, some multivitamins....

....and some ventolin!!

What's the customs status on the above? Some of the natural remedies are for personal use, some for business. Do they have to be declared?

Also, I have trade accounts in the UK for all my natural remedies and am planning on keeping them as all my suppliers deliver to Oz. How do I fare with Customs when I get remedies shipped in the future?

And what about candles? I have a large stock of tealights that I use for my work - can I bring them with me?

Sorry for all the questions....
Bumpin' it up again hoping someone can help...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:29 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I can't see the candles being a problem but not sure about the other stuff.
Have a look through the AQIS site, it might be of help.
If not I'm sure you can e mail them & ask.

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:35 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I think you can but check out his link..

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20

I took homeopathic medicine in my hand luggage and some oils.

Good luck with the aromatherapy in Oz. Another one to contact is the IFA out there perhaps they will know.

Cheers

P

that link says that these must be declared.....

• Herbal and traditional medicines, remedies, tonics and herbal teas

Last edited by Pants; Aug 1st 2005 at 3:38 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:55 pm

Thanks so much for the links, both of you. It's little things like this that can sometimes present a problem because you don't know enough about what you're supposed to do. I will follow your links up and see what I can find out. Will post back if I find out anything significant.

Pants, my stock of homoeopathic remedies is still fairly small at the moment and will fit into my hand luggage, but having been an aromatherapist for ten years now, I have a far too large a stock of oils!! But thank you for your good suggestions.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pants
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20

that link says that these must be declared.....

• Herbal and traditional medicines, remedies, tonics and herbal teas
Can I bounce this back to you for consideration, please?

The way I see it, having checked out the link above, the oils would be exempted from restriction. My reasoning on that is that the items mentioned above are mostly going to be made from raw plant material such as rhizomes, tubers, leaves, fruit and flowers, either fresh or dried. Essential oils, on the other hand, are the volatile extracts of plants or plant materials, that have been either steam distilled or extracted with solvents, and are therefore not going to contain any raw material. Does that seem right?

I'm sure the homoeopathics and the Bach remedies will be okay - only doubt was these oils but I think this exempts them? Agree?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:54 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it, having checked out the link above, the oils would be exempted from restriction. My reasoning on that is that the items mentioned above are mostly going to be made from raw plant material such as rhizomes, tubers, leaves, fruit and flowers, either fresh or dried. Essential oils, on the other hand, are the volatile extracts of plants or plant materials, that have been either steam distilled or extracted with solvents, and are therefore not going to contain any raw material. Does that seem right?

I'm sure the homoeopathics and the Bach remedies will be okay - only doubt was these oils but I think this exempts them? Agree?
I think so after all they are no longer a living plant etc as such...I am sure you will be fine but how are you going to transport the oils?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

I think the safest option donna would be to telephone customs and ask them, it could save a lot of hassle in the long run should you be stopped.

deb x
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pants
I think so after all they are no longer a living plant etc as such...I am sure you will be fine but how are you going to transport the oils?
The plan is for them to go in our air freight - we are being allowed 1 cu.m. and I aim to put all my gear in there, even massage table. I store my oils in a heavy duty step stool storage box. Keeps them all dark, in an even temperature and makes sure they stay upright. In theory...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The plan is for them to go in our air freight - we are being allowed 1 cu.m. and I aim to put all my gear in there, even massage table. I store my oils in a heavy duty step stool storage box. Keeps them all dark, in an even temperature and makes sure they stay upright. In theory...
The way to get a definitive answer is to email AQIS - others have, and they are quite helpful. Then if they give you the OK, I would pack the email with the oils!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The way to get a definitive answer is to email AQIS - others have, and they are quite helpful. Then if they give you the OK, I would pack the email with the oils!
I have now e-mailed AQIS - I'll let you know what they say when they reply. It may help someone else.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi Pollyana,

I took your advice and mailed them. Got the answer back today and thought others might find it helpful to post the reply here. I will also do as you suggest and put the copy of the mail in the box with the oils! Thanks for your feedback.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you for your enquiry regarding importing the essential oils in your personal effects.

The Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS) do not regard essential oils as a Quarantine risk so there will be no impediment on them during clearance into Australia.

If you have any queries for the Australian Customs Service (Customs) you should direct them to [email protected]

The following information may be a guide to procedures expected of you in order to effect clearance of your belongings on arrival in Australia:

Imported consignments of personal effects are subject to mandatory inspection on arrival in Australia to ensure they are free from quarantine risk material. As all consignments are subject to inspection, fumigation prior to arrival in Australia is not required. However, should quarantine risk material be found on inspection, the goods will be ordered for appropriate treatment.

General information regarding importing personal effects can be found on the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service website under Emigrating/Moving to Australia.

Many items commonly imported as personal effects are of quarantine concern such as:

* wooden items
* soil on garden tools
* carpets
* dried flowers
* skins
* toys containing cotton waste, sand, straw or water
* food
* vacuum cleaners
* christmas decorations
* seeds
* feathers
* equipment used with horses or other animals

Further information on the import requirements for personal effects and on the individual items of possible quarantine concern can be found on the Import Conditions Database (ICON). Just click on the link - www.aqis.gov.au/icon - and search ICON for "Personal Effects".

If you have any further questions please contact the AQIS Regional Office where the goods will be arriving.

--------------------------------------------------

Hope this clarifies for others.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:24 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear you've got me onto a sore point... A month ago my wife, in a shocking labour with baby and very late posterior and not coming out, was screaming out for her lavender hanky and her Bach flower remedies. This was after acupuncture and homeopathy to get the baby to come out, oh and hypnobirthing for a natural labour. Complementary therapies has a lot to answer for in my books (and my account books...). Needless to say, an emergency caesarian was the order of the day.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Oh dear you've got me onto a sore point... A month ago my wife, in a shocking labour with baby and very late posterior and not coming out, was screaming out for her lavender hanky and her Bach flower remedies. This was after acupuncture and homeopathy to get the baby to come out, oh and hypnobirthing for a natural labour. Complementary therapies has a lot to answer for in my books (and my account books...). Needless to say, an emergency caesarian was the order of the day.
Sorry to hear that your wife had such a horrendous labour. But I cannot see how complementary therapies could have either prevented or caused this - sadly, bad/difficult presentations happen and sometimes sections are the only answer.

Complementary practitioners never pretend - or shouldn't pretend - that they have the universal panacea to all illness or dysfunction. No-one has, alternative or allopathic.

I do hope your baby is coming along well despite their traumatic entry into the world.