Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Remaining time on passport for validation

Wikiposts

Remaining time on passport for validation

Old Dec 30th 2005, 3:37 am
stevenpoole9

Default Re: Remaining time on passport for validation

Pam, we would normally have just done that through the post office, but, as we were travelling in January, and this was 2 weeks before Christmas, there was no way I was going to trust the postal services with the old passport with the actual visa sticker in it over the busiest time of the year. We know that The Australian High Commision, who give out the stickers are VERY strict and they will not re-issue them without a very good reason. Losing the original passport in the post would not count, hence the visit to the closest pasport issuing office, which for us is in Liverpool. The cost of 83 GBP was for the gaurenteed 4 hour express renewal, which meant I could wait for the passport to be renewed and it would not be sent through the post. This is the only way to do this, so I accepted the cost simply to ensure I didn't spend the whole of the Christmas period waiting to see if the thing had been lost in the post.

Jeremy (JAJ), as I have posted on this thread we have had to get a new passport for my 6 year old son, we have been told that we need to take both passports with us when we travel, Aus Immigration will stamp both (ensuring that his visa is validated) we can then dispense with the old passport and use his new one only. How do you understand the process? Also how do we know we have validated our visas? Do we get any sort of confirmation from DIMIA? We recently heard a story? of someone whose child's passport was not stamped at Aus Immigration, they didn't tell them that they were validation PR's. Consequently they are having all sorts of problems now. As we HAVE to validate by 2nd February (We are arriving on 25th January) we can't really afford any major cock-ups. Also (lots of questions eh!!) do we need any other visa/travel documents? We have just assumed that because we are validating Permenant Residency visas we wouldn't need any other sort. Our Travel agent gave us this immpression and I just wanted to confirm that this is the case. ANY advice etc would be most appreciated. Cheers, Steve.

Last edited by stevenpoole9; Dec 30th 2005 at 4:20 am.

Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
Pam, we would normally have just done that through the post office, but, as we were travelling in January, and this was 2 weeks before Christmas, there was no way I was going to trust the postal services with the old passport with the actual visa sticker in it over the busiest time of the year. We know that The Australian High Commision, who give out the stickers are VERY strict and they will not re-issue them without a very good reason. Losing the original passport in the post would not count,
If the old passport is lost then they *have* to issue a new visa sticker - otherwise how on earth can you use your visas? (other than travelling somewhere else offshore to get new visas stamped).

Jeremy (JAJ), as I have posted on this thread we have had to get a new passport for my 6 year old son, we have been told that we need to take both passports with us when we travel, Aus Immigration will stamp both (ensuring that his visa is validated) we can then dispense with the old passport and use his new one only.
1. They will only stamp the new passport.
2. You can only dispense with the old passport if a visa is stamped in the new one. You can get this done over the counter at most DIMIA offices in Australia.
3. With a visa in an old passport, leave plenty of time for check-in as some airline staff may refuse to allow you to board without getting a clearance from DIMIA in Australia (which takes time).

How do you understand the process? Also how do we know we have validated our visas? Do we get any sort of confirmation from DIMIA? We recently heard a story? of someone whose child's passport was not stamped at Aus Immigration, they didn't tell them that they were validation PR's. Consequently they are having all sorts of problems now.

You don't get any confirmation from DIMIA that you have validated your visa. Your passport stamp should be enough, if you want you can also keep other evidence you have stayed in Australia (hotel bills).

As for this "story" you've heard, DIMIA should stamp *all* non-Australian passports on entry to Australia whether someone's a tourist or migrant. If they tried to cancel a visa for this reason, then someone is being silly and it's nothing that a phone call to a senior official couldn't fix.

do we need any other visa/travel documents? We have just assumed that because we are validating Permenant Residency visas we wouldn't need any other sort.
Nothing needed other than valid passport plus visa.

As already noted, if you are stopping over in Far East countries then you do need at least 6 months validity (and it's a grey area if you're in transit) - however Australia does not have this rule for migrants, and the UK doesn't have it for returning British citizens.

Jeremy
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:50 am
stevenpoole9

Jeremy, We are going to Brisbane, and I have the address of the local DIMIA office on the Gold Coast. If I understand you correctly we need to take both passports, and my son's visa will be transfered to the new passport at that office? Do you know if it's a "wait for job" or a "go back job"?
Also we will check in as early as we possibly can, and let them know the visa situation to give them the time to iron out any potential problems.As for the "Australian Immigration stamp" story I must admit I was a little sceptical myself, but you never know. Thanks for the information once again, Steve.

Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
Jeremy, We are going to Brisbane, and I have the address of the local DIMIA office on the Gold Coast. If I understand you correctly we need to take both passports, and my son's visa will be transfered to the new passport at that office? Do you know if it's a "wait for job" or a "go back job"?
It should be done over the counter in most offices. Some DIMIA front-line staff may think there is a charge to re-stamp visas. There isn't, except for Resident Return Visas (which doesn't apply to you). Speak to a manager or supervisor if there's a problem.

There are DIMIA offices in both central Brisbane and Southport (Gold Coast). Check the opening hours on http://www.immi.gov.au before you go there, many DIMIA offices close on Wednesday afternoons, for example.

They may tell you it's ok to leave visa in old passport. That's true as far as DIMIA are concerned, the problem is not all airline staff know this.

Jeremy
Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for the Southport office, but when I got my new passport I took it to the DIMIA office in Brisbane, and they out in a new sticker on the spot; took about 10 minutes, no appointment needed.