Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocation companies

Relocation companies

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future
Default Relocation companies

We are struggling to sell our house and thought of going to a Relocation company. Has anyone here sold their house to one of these companies and was it at reasonable price?

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation companies

Define "reasonable".

Does it mean the price someone is willing to pay for the house, or the price you might wish to achieve?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

When I say reasonable I mean £10,000 less than the market price or do they tend to offer £30,000 to £40000 less (based on our house at £330,000)
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
When I say reasonable I mean £10,000 less than the market price or do they tend to offer £30,000 to £40000 less (based on our house at £330,000)
GBP10,000 compared to 330,000 is around a 3% discount. Assuming 330,000 is a "real" market value (which it may not be) do you think a 3% discount is enough to compensate the relocation company for the risks and costs it is taking on, to resell your property to someone who will buy it and maintain it in the meantime?

The company also has to make a profit out of the deal.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
I reckon they will offer you 280k tops! They would not give you anything near market value. It's like a car - hubby got offered $3000 for it as a trade in......private sales are about $10k

Love

Rudi
x
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:20 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

As JAJ said I think you're dreaming to only take a discount of that much. Have a read through previous discussions:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...buying+company

It's been discussed before on here and I'm pretty sure they always offer a crap amount. Which I can't say I blame them as they take all the risk, and they're a company so they are obviously out to make a profit on it.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:25 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Rudi
I reckon they will offer you 280k tops! They would not give you anything near market value.
But what is "market value"? It's the price someone will pay ... if you have a property on sale at 330k and no-one's interested, then market value isn't 330k.

It's like a car - hubby got offered $3000 for it as a trade in......private sales are about $10k
Free market etc ... why not then sell privately? You should expect some discount for a dealer sale, to compensate for the extra convenience, speed, etc. but not 70%.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Free market etc ... why not then sell privately? You should expect some discount for a dealer sale, to compensate for the extra convenience, speed, etc. but not 70%.

Yep, I totally agree! We will sell privately. I would expect a dealer to offer less than the price than I could sell it for......but that was just taking the mick.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:38 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Rudi
Yep, I totally agree! We will sell privately. I would expect a dealer to offer less than the price than I could sell it for......but that was just taking the mick.
Not every dealer wants every type of car ... perhaps try another dealer?