Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Melbourne. Which suburb?

Relocating to Melbourne. Which suburb?

Old Nov 10th 2012, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Melbourne. Which suburb?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
methinks your budget is not big enough to match your requirements.

You will need to compromise on buying, probably by being prepared to do a longer commute.

BB
or

Go to your boss and say your package affords me to live here (ABC)

I intend to live here (XYZ)

Give me a package increase to meet my expectations
Old Nov 10th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

I live down Eltham way and the commute is an hour door to door to North Melbourne (train and tram) so I am guessing St Kilda Rd would be same. You will be hard pushed to find a 3-bed house for less than $600,000 these days anywhere near a train station around here. It is a lovely place to be though. Nothing within 30 minutes commute will fit your price. Sorry.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knightm
St Kilda Rd is purely for work. Yep meant Rd not street.
Look up 3145 Malvern East/Chadstone can be a 20 to 25 minute journey - and accessible by tram, which will save having a 2nd car.

Forget worrying about buying, your more going to rent for first 12 months anyway. Your budget and income will change over that year, not to mention house prices
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

I've been in Melbourne about 8 months now. Live in the CBD with my girlfriend. I know the CBD is often overlooked but depending on where you will work it isn't a bad choice for 6 months to a year as you get settled. It takes time to learn the burbs, explore, figure out what you like and don't like. A number of people I work with (one of the big banks) live in the CBD with children - there are plenty of options for parks etc and things to do, and if you work in the CBD you can be home in 5 or 10 minutes. I literally can walk home in ten minutes for example so even come home for lunch at times.

That said, commuting in this area is excellent compared to a lot of cities. I lived in london for years and even some of the worst train commutes here are about an hour. I know people that live near the end of a few of the train lines - Belgrave for example - and they say good things. I do know driving in can be a hassle depending on working hours so you may want to consider proximity to a train station if you insist on living in a burb and doing longer commutes.