Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Melbourne - HOPEFULLY!

Relocating to Melbourne - HOPEFULLY!

Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Relocating to Melbourne - HOPEFULLY!

Hello to everyone

I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place to introduce myself

Myself and my family are waiting to hear if we will get our permanent residence visas and should hear within the next couple of months. We live in Scotland at the moment and are planning to move to Melbourne as we have family there.

I just wanted to say a quick hello and hope to get some good tips and advice over the coming months. It is an exciting and emotional time...................

Angela
x
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice
Default Re: Relocating to Melbourne - HOPEFULLY!

Hi, we are moving to Melbourne too. Myself in about 6 weeks, and my family shortly after.

What visa are you going on?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

We are on Visa Sub Class 176. Have just sent off our police clearances and medicals so hopefully won't be too long before we hear!

Good luck with your move and hope your family are able to join you asap.

Angela
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

welshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nice

Hi, we're off to Melbourne as well.

OH already there, as had to start work in July, myself and the dog hopefully by end of October

He's left me here to sort everything out, I thought it would be easy, between shipping our goods and the dog, I've never seen so many forms to fill in!!
and still trying to hold down a full time job, fogot bout the house for a minute, trying to sell that, but looking down the lines of rental now.

Hayley
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really nice
Smile Re: Relocating to Melbourne - HOPEFULLY!

Hi Angela

We have also had our medicals, police clearance etc.(deadline is today for everything in) Victoria State sponsership permanent residence and we are hopefully going to Melbourne (well Oceans Grove actually-if we like it!)
I don't know how quickly after medicals etc. you get a decision?
Arrr scary business...never been to OZ
GOOD LUCK TO YOU
Kind Regards
Sharonx

Originally Posted by scotsista
Hello to everyone

I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place to introduce myself

Myself and my family are waiting to hear if we will get our permanent residence visas and should hear within the next couple of months. We live in Scotland at the moment and are planning to move to Melbourne as we have family there.

I just wanted to say a quick hello and hope to get some good tips and advice over the coming months. It is an exciting and emotional time...................

Angela
x
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there

Thanks for posting! I'm not sure myself how long it takes after medicals and police clearances so will just have to be patient.......

We're not getting overly excited at the moment but are confident we will get the visas as my husband is a secondary school teacher which is one of the occupations in high demand.

There will be so much to consider - whether to sell/rent our property here being one of the main things. I'm thinking we should rent it for a couple of years just to see how we settle. Anyone offer opinions on this or their own story??

We are lucky to have family there who are able to accommodate us until we 'find our feet'. I have so many questions and the internet is like information overload at times!

Angela
x
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Dan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really niceDan-Sharon is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Relocating to Melbourne - HOPEFULLY!

Hi Angie
Its a big adventure.
We don't know anyone in OZ, my husband who is an electrician
does not have job to go to (he is currently overloaded here and could be
till well into next year)
We will be leaving a house which we have spent four years renovating and is just how we want it.
We live in a lovely place...but we are taking the gamble for a better life.
At least it wont rain all through the kids holidays lol!!
I'n not nervous...yet
Sharonx

Hi there

Thanks for posting! I'm not sure myself how long it takes after medicals and police clearances so will just have to be patient.......

We're not getting overly excited at the moment but are confident we will get the visas as my husband is a secondary school teacher which is one of the occupations in high demand.

There will be so much to consider - whether to sell/rent our property here being one of the main things. I'm thinking we should rent it for a couple of years just to see how we settle. Anyone offer opinions on this or their own story??

We are lucky to have family there who are able to accommodate us until we 'find our feet'. I have so many questions and the internet is like information overload at times!

Angela
x
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:16 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Melbourne three years and love it here - you won't regret coming, it has so much going for it. We love the beaches, the city, the parks and outdoor life.

Any questions - ask away.

BB
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
I just located Mordialloc on google earth. I'm glad that you are enjoying life.
May I ask why you chose Mordialloc. We have never been to Oz before and
really don't have a clue about any of the areas. We are considering Ocean Grove.
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Sharonx

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
We've been in Melbourne three years and love it here - you won't regret coming, it has so much going for it. We love the beaches, the city, the parks and outdoor life.

Any questions - ask away.

BB
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:04 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan-Sharon
Hi
I just located Mordialloc on google earth. I'm glad that you are enjoying life.
May I ask why you chose Mordialloc. We have never been to Oz before and
really don't have a clue about any of the areas. We are considering Ocean Grove.
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Sharonx
Hi Sharon

We chose Mordialloc because it was on the beach, a good family area and an easy commute to the city by car or train. When we moved here it was very affordable, it is a little more expensive now but nothing like beachside suburbs further in to the city.

BB
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'd agree with BB that Mordialloc is a great suburb but is creeping up in price now.

Ocean Grove is supposed to be very nice and would be great if you life is just centered around that area and Geelong as it's probably about 1.5 hours out of Melbourne city. Geelong has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years, we were down there on Saturday and they've built a lovely new waterfront building with trendy flats and restaurants. There are also quite a lot of historical buildings in Geelong which makes a change to see!

We live in Mornington which is round the otherside of the bay. We are about 1 1/4 hours from the city (on a good day ) but it is the start of the Peninsula which is beautiful. We have vineyards galore, great beaches - quiet and surf and lovely rolling hills in the countryside (think Sussex with gumtrees!).

We did live in Brighton for a while which is a bayside city suburb, it was very nice and we were only a few streets from the water and it was very handy for the city but having come from Surrey and Sussex we found after a while the lack of countryside was getting to us.

My advice is to try and see as much of Melbourne as possible before deciding where to rent/buy especially if you've got kids. I know so many people get locked into a suburb, then do some exploring and wished they'd settled elsewhere but then feel they can't pull the kids out of school/area after having taken them half way round the world.

Good luck to you all!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Angela
x

Unless your DH is a secondary Math/Science teacher, be prepared for some hurdles in getting a permanent position. There will be more positions out of Melbourne in some of the country towns. An occupation may be high demand on DIAC's list but it can be very hard to actually get a permanent job and teaching is a prime case in point. So I would advise that you be prepared to go anywhere and chase the jobs rather than picking a plum place where there are likely to be loads of applicants for jobs.

I'd also be looking to see if you can take a career break rather than quit just in case you decide you dont like it here.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Unless your DH is a secondary Math/Science teacher, be prepared for some hurdles in getting a permanent position. There will be more positions out of Melbourne in some of the country towns. An occupation may be high demand on DIAC's list but it can be very hard to actually get a permanent job and teaching is a prime case in point. So I would advise that you be prepared to go anywhere and chase the jobs rather than picking a plum place where there are likely to be loads of applicants for jobs.

I'd also be looking to see if you can take a career break rather than quit just in case you decide you dont like it here.
Thanks for that advice! We are already considering taking career breaks - do you know if it is possible to do this and work abroad at the same time?

Angela
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:19 am
Just Joined

johnsons is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we are hoping to move to melbourne to . husband is out there at moment having a look at job and areas he likes the look of pakenham ?
i understand exactly what you are saying about emotions.. but then cant stop smiling at the same time .
good luck over the coming months and maybe we could all meet up once we make it out there.
sharon x
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there

Thanks for your messages!

Just to say our visas have been granted today!!

Can't believe it - now the excitement and emotions will be like a rollercoaster.

Will keep posting over the next wee while!

Angela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.