Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocating to another State - any advice/experience?

Relocating to another State - any advice/experience?

Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Relocating to another State - any advice/experience?

I was wondering if anyone has done it.

We are currently in Adelaide. We arrived in March and both found work within a couple of weeks of arrival, which was great. The OH got permanent work, and I was offered a 3 month contract with a possibility of it being made permanent if I lived up to expectations - which I did and was made permanent in June last year.

Unfortunately, as it was a small company I was working for, the boss didn't really have any management experience, and as the workload kept increasing, it became apparent that he wasn't able to relinquish any responsibility to either me or the one other guy working there, and he was trying to manage every aspect of every job which wasn't humanly possible. It got too much, and I handed in my resignation just before christmas, and the other guy handed his in two days later. Neither of us had any new jobs to go to, we couldn't handle the guy anymore and had to leave.

Anyway, since christmas, there's been no work advertised in my area (Architectural Technician / Cadastral Surveyor) and everyone I speak to in the industry says it's extremely quiet in SA. The company I previously worked for was busy, but they only had five projects on the go, and three of those were in other states.

So we are thinking about relocating to Melbourne. However, we don't know if we should have the OH resign, move everything there, find a rental and start looking for work, or my preferred method of me starting to apply for work from here, and fly across to any potential interviews, and if offered a position to then sort out the move to coincide with starting work. It seems to make more sense for me to have work to go to, and the OH should find work quickly as she works in childcare.

I just don't know if companies will actually offer a position to someone who is living in another state, although prepared to move quickly.

If anyone has any experience of moving states, I'd appreciate some advice, as at the moment it seems as daunting as moving here from the UK.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to another State - any advice/experience?

Originally Posted by xzibit

We are currently in Adelaide. We arrived in March and both found work within a couple of weeks of arrival, which was great. The OH got permanent work, and I was offered a 3 month contract with a possibility of it being made permanent if I lived up to expectations - which I did and was made permanent in June last year.

Unfortunately, as it was a small company I was working for, the boss didn't really have any management experience, and as the workload kept increasing, it became apparent that he wasn't able to relinquish any responsibility to either me or the one other guy working there, and he was trying to manage every aspect of every job which wasn't humanly possible. It got too much, and I handed in my resignation just before christmas, and the other guy handed his in two days later. Neither of us had any new jobs to go to, we couldn't handle the guy anymore and had to leave.

Anyway, since christmas, there's been no work advertised in my area (Architectural Technician / Cadastral Surveyor) and everyone I speak to in the industry says it's extremely quiet in SA. The company I previously worked for was busy, but they only had five projects on the go, and three of those were in other states.

So we are thinking about relocating to Melbourne. However, we don't know if we should have the OH resign, move everything there, find a rental and start looking for work, or my preferred method of me starting to apply for work from here, and fly across to any potential interviews, and if offered a position to then sort out the move to coincide with starting work. It seems to make more sense for me to have work to go to, and the OH should find work quickly as she works in childcare.

I just don't know if companies will actually offer a position to someone who is living in another state, although prepared to move quickly.

If anyone has any experience of moving states, I'd appreciate some advice, as at the moment it seems as daunting as moving here from the UK.
Hi, I can't advise about moving states, but I've just secured a job in Melbourne from New Zealand and am moving at the end of this month. From first contact with the recruitment agent to offer was less than 2 weeks . And that wasn't an application for a specific job, but just a general email enquiry about work that might be available.

Its worth contacting some recruitment agents - I did one interview only by telecon and secured the job based on that, so you might not even have to fly to Melbourne. I'm not in anything like the same industry as you, so I don't know what the normal procedure for your industry is, but you haven't got anything to lose. I assume you've been checking out Seek, etc. for jobs for both of you.

Besides, I love Melbourne! I think its a great city.

Good luck!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:35 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

I dont know what your visa status is, but please bear in mind that you have to reapply for many visas if you change state. the selection criteria for many visas are state selective. a friend of mine had to go to NZ for 5 years to get citizenship because their temporary visa expired in their first state because they had moved stated several times.
if you are a PR then this does not apply of course.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Kiwikaye, I will get in contact with a few agencies over there and start the ball rolling. It can't hurt anyway.

I've been checking out Seek, and there are approximately 40-50 positions I could apply for now, compared to 1 in Adelaide (which I've been informed had about 60 applicants!)

derab, there are no restrictions as we're PR and weren't state sponsored or anything like that.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kiwikaye, I will get in contact with a few agencies over there and start the ball rolling. It can't hurt anyway.

I've been checking out Seek, and there are approximately 40-50 positions I could apply for now, compared to 1 in Adelaide (which I've been informed had about 60 applicants!)

derab, there are no restrictions as we're PR and weren't state sponsored or anything like that.
Fingers crossed. We might see you there!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 7:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derab
I dont know what your visa status is, but please bear in mind that you have to reapply for many visas if you change state. the selection criteria for many visas are state selective. a friend of mine had to go to NZ for 5 years to get citizenship because their temporary visa expired in their first state because they had moved stated several times.
if you are a PR then this does not apply of course.
What? Apply for many visas if you change states? Selection criteria for many visas are state selective? Someone's visa expired because they moved states?

I think you're pretty confused there derab. None of what you said there is correct.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Relocating to another State - any advice/experience?

I dont know what your visa status is, but please bear in mind that you have to reapply for many visas if you change state.
I guess if you are state sponsored this would apply? Although many people seem to get away with this anyway.

a friend of mine had to go to NZ for 5 years to get citizenship because their temporary visa expired in their first state because they had moved stated several times.
... which left them with an Australian visa which would never lead to PR. Not such a great decision maybe.

BB

BB
Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes you have to go where the work is - even if it means moving states.

That's the reason we relocated 4,000km (2,500 miles) from NSW to Perth in September last year.

We had lived in NSW since we emigrated in 2003 so moving to the other side of Australia was a big decision,especially as I had never been to WA.

But we didn't have a lot of choices after my husband resigned from his job in May 2010 and we struggled financially once our savings started to dry up.

I was only working part-time and my contract ended in July last year.

Then out of the blue last February an employer - my husband had sent his resume to 12 months earlier on spec - offered him a job over the phone for more pay,less hours than his old job and a generous relocation package.

We didn't want to move as we lived in a coastal village, near Coffs Harbour, a 10-minute walk from a stunning beach and made some great friends.

But the big downside is the lack of jobs in Coffs Harbour.

Plus we had a house to sell at a time when the property market was in the doldrums. It still is in Coffs Harbour. We ended up losing money on the house.

But job offer was too good to refuse and not the kind that comes up very often !

My husband spent 4 months on his own in Perth - which he hated but persevered. I stayed behind with our son, aged 9,until we sold the house in August.

Once sold my husband flew back and we drove across to Perth in September over 8 days. Funnily enough we stayed overnight in Glenelg. It was freezing !!! It was a great trip as we got to see more of this vast country.

Moving was the best decision we ever made because last month a number of employees at my OH's previous workplace were made redundant after the company downsized. If my husband had stayed he would have been one the unemployed.

I say go for it. What have you got to lose ?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The different school systems can be a problem if you have older kids.

EG. son is just turned 15 and started grade 11 in QLD.

Partner is pricing work in Melbourne and Canberra.

In those states he would be 2 years younger than most kids his age.

Moving state to state in OZ can be as different as moving overseas
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

just keep in mind that despite being the same country... working environment and people are completely different!! i originally worked in Brisbane/Gold COast and things were a lot more relaxed and when people shook on something, it was a done deal.

now working in Melbourne, work environment is so uptight and when youre closing a deal, you shake on it and then you find out a week later they shopped you on price and went elsewhere.... very different culture.

socially things are the same but there are noticeable differences at work
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phat-dave
just keep in mind that despite being the same country... working environment and people are completely different!! i originally worked in Brisbane/Gold COast and things were a lot more relaxed and when people shook on something, it was a done deal.

now working in Melbourne, work environment is so uptight and when youre closing a deal, you shake on it and then you find out a week later they shopped you on price and went elsewhere.... very different culture.

socially things are the same but there are noticeable differences at work

Partner ( currently in QLD ) just went to a meeting in melb in jeans and short sleeved shirt. Greeted by everyone else in full suits and ties
Old Feb 5th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

personally I would try to find work first before resigning and moving. OH has appointed several of his key staff from interstate so no problem there. He assumes that if they are looking then they are prepared to move and even offers a relocation package for some.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Relocating to another State - any advice/experience?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In those states he would be 2 years younger than most kids his age.
That would be interesting.......

BB
Old Feb 5th 2012, 6:11 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Partner ( currently in QLD ) just went to a meeting in melb in jeans and short sleeved shirt. Greeted by everyone else in full suits and ties
Wow. I haven't seen anyone wearing a suit since I was in London last April.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? I know sometimes it can be hard deciding what to wear but has he ever heard about playing it safe? I would have to be very bold or couldn't care less to turn up to any business meeting wearing jeans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.