Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relief Teaching and Tax - a few queries?!

Relief Teaching and Tax - a few queries?!

Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:37 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question Relief Teaching and Tax - a few queries?!

Just curious, those amongst you in the know, as a Relief Teacher, am I having more tax taken off me than other people?

As an example, at the beginning of the new tax year:

$2100 pay >>> $620 income tax deducted, is this right?! It just seems a bit high to me?

As a Relief Teacher there will be blocks of time where I'm not paid at all, for instance this week, the first week back of term, I didn't get any work, so, how does it work, can anyone enlighten me!?

Thanks folks...

(OOPS TITLE SHOULD READ QUERIES*) Doh! lol > Mods?!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:51 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relief Teaching and Tax - a few querys?!

Yes I got taxed highly too doing relief teaching but got it all back after I lodged my tax return - over $4000!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:54 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
Yes I got taxed highly too doing relief teaching but got it all back after I lodged my tax return - over $4000!
WOW that's something to look forward to next year! I've only been teaching for a month of the last tax year so won't get much back....

Looks like they've moved me up to Band 3, Step 4, the top of the payscale, because of my experience etc. This isn't going to make any difference to me as a Relief Teacher though is it?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:05 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

It did in WA. When they moved me up the payscale after recognising my experience in the UK, it didn't matter if I was doing relief, or on a short term contract the new pay scale applied .
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:07 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by WS
It did in WA. When they moved me up the payscale after recognising my experience in the UK, it didn't matter if I was doing relief, or on a short term contract the new pay scale applied .
O ok, cool...I tell you what, you'd need a masters to understand the pay statements here in QLD...I don't suppose there's anyway of finding out how the pay system works over here?

For instance I last worked on the 25th June, which was the end of a three week contract. So when should I have received my pay? I presumed it was like this:

Work two weeks, on the Friday of the 2nd week the pay is calculated and paid on the following Tues. The guy @ the pay office said it didn't work that way....CONFUSED.COM! LOL
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relief Teaching and Tax - a few queries?!

It depends on the week salaries are paid. ie in a 3 week block you might get 1 weeks pay and the other 2 weeks in the next pay period or the other way around. As for tax, you don't pay a higher rate. What happens is that your fortnight's pay is taxed as if you make that amount every fortnight of the year. As you don't get paid for holidays you will likely always get a refund at the end of the year. As a casual it pays to get a good tax accountant. Mine claims things I would never have thought of and are nondeductable for permanent staff.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
O ok, cool...I tell you what, you'd need a masters to understand the pay statements here in QLD...I don't suppose there's anyway of finding out how the pay system works over here?

For instance I last worked on the 25th June, which was the end of a three week contract. So when should I have received my pay? I presumed it was like this:

Work two weeks, on the Friday of the 2nd week the pay is calculated and paid on the following Tues. The guy @ the pay office said it didn't work that way....CONFUSED.COM! LOL
Ring Payroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:01 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Ring Payroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did, the bloke I spoke to didn't have a clue and had to go ask someone. He then phoned me back and said, no, that's not how it works, and you're not due anymore pay after todays pay. Then a fortnight later (yesterday) I got $1390 pay, he obviously didn't have a clue what he was on about?!

EDIT: I phoned him because I was sure my pay was about a grand short the last fortnight, he said no love, sorry, you're not due anymore pay. Obviously I was... PHEW!!!

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Jul 15th 2010 at 7:13 am.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about Qld, but in NSW it itemizes, on your payslip, every day, by date, that you worked in the pay period. Makes it easy to see what days you have/ have not been paid for. Permanents only get the date of the end of the period.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

Sounds like your pay is being done by QLD health