Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reliable second hand motors in Sydney?..

Reliable second hand motors in Sydney?..

Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Smile Reliable second hand motors in Sydney?..

Anyone know of any places we could go to get a cheap second hand motor in Sydney?

We don't want to get ripped off, but i know thats the nature of the beast.

Not sure I can be bothered with the whole ebay process - very risky!

Also reliable medium sized car makes and models would be appreciated also. Only two of us but space needed for the odd trip to Ikea etc.

Thanks

Simon
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:28 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reliable second hand motors in Sydney?..

Try Trading Post or Car Sales...
Find something you like then get it checked out by TrakOnline...

Save some money compared to buying from a dealer...
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Try these guys on Williams street in Sydney, they do backpacker cars and vans and offer a year's warranty on all cars to sell - you can pick something up from about $4000-5000 = www.travelwheels.com.au

Another great place to look is gumtree - this site is great for just about anything for sell in Sydney. Its also a brilliant place to look for flat shares/houses to rent as well = http://www.gumtree.com.au

If you do buy something second hand, make sure you understand Rego's, Pink/blue slips, etc.

All the best

AberJazz
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Forgot to mention the Kings Cross Car Market. This is a place where all the backpackers try to off load their cars just before they leave to fly back home. If you know what you are doing, you can pick up a bargain. If you are interested in one of them, its worth getting it checked out by the a local mechanic, here is the web address for the car market.

http://www.carmarket.com.au/

We picked up our VW Kombi here and sold it 9 months later for $900 more that what we originally paid for it.

Hope this helps

AberJazz
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by s1mon321
Anyone know of any places we could go to get a cheap second hand motor in Sydney?

We don't want to get ripped off, but i know thats the nature of the beast.

Not sure I can be bothered with the whole ebay process - very risky!

Also reliable medium sized car makes and models would be appreciated also. Only two of us but space needed for the odd trip to Ikea etc.

Thanks

Simon

Most cars have 1000,000s of miles on the clock. They hold thier value so much here which was a major shock to me who has been used to running 200 quid bangers for most of my life as a means from a to b

If you can afford it id say buy new as the makes and models of even 5 year old carts aint that much different from brand new prices.

If you are after something to tide tyou over then do as suggested above and also try noticeboards of travellers hostels

The maze backpackers on Pitt street and others all have noticeboards.

We looked at $12,000 mark thinking that would get us a decent low mileage car as we had just sold a 206, 5 yrs old with 35,000 miles on the clock for 2,000 quid in the uk.

Anything up to 10k was like what your granny would buy with high mileage.

We ended up going for a jeep convertible(missus' car) and i got a Race bike. Probably the last purchases for a while tho and these were second hand with more than what we would pay U.K prices!

If you only need the car every so often for ikea then try rent-a-bomb. Dirt cheap[ and they have vans and utes for about 30-60 bucks a day

Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Thanks for that folks, something to start looking at.

What's the equivalent of the MOT here - is it as comprehensive?

Any other documentation to be aware of???

Ta

Simon
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:02 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1mon321
Thanks for that folks, something to start looking at.

What's the equivalent of the MOT here - is it as comprehensive?

Any other documentation to be aware of???

Ta

Simon
Pink Slip... and no, it's nothing like as comprehensive... Have a look at the RTA website to get an idea about things... You'll need a green slip (CTP - compulsory third party insurance, but it may be still on the vehicle you buy) and it's best to get fully comp insurance since CTP only covers personal injury and not third party property damage...

A young lady on Thursday morning pulled out straight in front of me and wasted her front right end on my Navara's bullbar... she's not insured so faces the prospect of being hounded by my insurers for God knows how long to pay off the damage...