Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relevant work experience - please answer this simple question, someone :)

Relevant work experience - please answer this simple question, someone :)

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

mowgli2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relevant work experience - please answer this simple question, someone :)

Hi

I've lurked on these boards for months, but now find that I really need some expert advice...!

I want to apply for Aus PR under the skilled designated area sponsored subclass.

Initially, I planned to go via the TRA under computer support technician - however, I was rejected as I only have 3.5 years experience. Before this, i was an office manager.

It occurred to me that I could apply to vetassess as an office manager, as I have a BA from a British University. I understand that this on its own will give me the classification i need.

However, I also need to prove recent work experience. 12 out of the last 18 months.

There is conflicting info and I cant work out whether this recent work experience would need to be as an office manager (as per my vetassess application) or whether any job will do as long its on the SOL .

So, my question is - can I apply as Office Manager from Vetassess but with different recent work experience?

If I CAN apply with different skills, I can apply now, otherwise I will have to get an office manager job for a year - hence this answer is pretty vital !

Thanks so much for sparing the time to read (and hopefully answer!) this.
Old Jul 4th 2002, 9:44 am
Just Joined

mowgli2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relevant work experience - please answer this simple question, someone :)

anyone? please!!
Old Jul 4th 2002, 11:22 am
Wannabe Ausie

MikenWendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relevant work experience - please answer this simple question, someone :)

Just had a quick look through the booklet. Sorry, it looks like it has to be in the skill your applying under and it has to be 4 out of the last 5 years.

Mike.
P.S. mowgli is an unusual name. I met someone with that name on an investment course. Any connection?
Old Jul 4th 2002, 11:47 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mowgli.

The recent work experience basic requirement is in ANY skilled occupation.

Note also (if you haven't already) that the recent work experience requirements are relaxed for the Designated Area Sponsored Visa as compared with the other skilled visas.

Happy to help further if you need any more assistance with your application.

Best regards.

Alan Collett (currently in the UK)
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-co-dot-uk
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.co.uk, and
http://www.collettandco.co.uk

Last edited by Alan Collett; Jul 4th 2002 at 11:50 am.