Reload this Page >

Rejected in 'Last Remaining Relative'

Rejected in 'Last Remaining Relative'

Old Mar 5th 2004, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

frenchlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rejected in 'Last Remaining Relative'

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts on my situation:
My parents retired to Australia about 20 years ago and my brother, who is my only sibling, is also an Australian citizen.
I desperately want to join them, especially as my brother is disabled and lives alone, since his divorce some years ago.
But at 51, I'm too 'old' to be considered for Work Skills visa.
I couldn't believe that I would not be considered for 'Last Remaining Relative' just because my husband has 3 brothers living in the UK. So they say I have family here, even though we rarely see my brothers-in-law. We have no other relatives here, as my parents-in-law died some years ago. I also don't qualify as a 'Carer' as my brother can manage to look after himself (just), although he is very lonely and isolated. When I visit, I find it so hard to leave my parents (in their 80s) and feel bad when they go into hospital and I can't get to see them. Anyone else in this position, or know of anyone facing something similar?
Old Mar 5th 2004, 2:22 pm
DarrenD

As the world becomes more global, stories such as this become more commonplace until govts catch up.... in the meantime, we suffer.

I suggest you talk to a migration agent and explore ALL the options available. If you have equity (ie a house) the aussies may be more flexible.? Could you set up a small business ?

Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi DarrenD
Yes, I've spoken to several migration agents but,sadly, they can't help us. We do own our house (mortgage paid off some years ago) and we have some savings and my husband would have a small pension from work here. So we wouldn't be a burden to anyone. We've no business experience, though, and wouldn't like to risk our savings on that. Also, if the business isn't viable after a few years, they throw you out, I believe!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:05 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

That post proves ......life,s not fair!

Old Mar 7th 2004, 6:23 am
DarrenD

Sorry to hear this. I'm no expert but would suggest couple of alternatives.

1) Try to get brother reclassified. Get relatives out there to convince medicare.

2) Buy a business instead of set up from scratch. Lower risk, and can always sell on. I think on New Life Down Under, a woman did this and bough a corner shop/newsagent in Tas.

Alternatively, go and live in Iraq / Zim / etc then claim asylum ! (only kidding, not recommended)

Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately, to come in as a 'carer' my brother would have to be assessed by Health Services Australia, and not Medicare or GP.They will only consider someone to need a carer if they can't feed, wash, dress themselves. My brother can do these things, but it takes him ages and tires him out. Also, the powers-that-be say care is provided by welfare or nursing, although we think that's not nearly enough. As for buying a business, well, we've no experience of running a business, which is very hard, I should think and stressful. They don't seem to value families, even though we're comfortably off and my husband has skills, railway signalling technician.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

The only option does appear to be the business side, but you dont appear to want to try that route.

As previously stated you could buy an `established` business and get others to run it for you