Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rego Insurance Cover??

Rego Insurance Cover??

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:43 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Rego Insurance Cover??

Hi, can anyone explain about Queensland car insurance. Is it right that when you get your REGO for the car you have a very basic insurance policy as well?? And is REGO like your tax disc in the UK? Thanks, Pete
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:03 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rego Insurance Cover??

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Hi, can anyone explain about Queensland car insurance. Is it right that when you get your REGO for the car you have a very basic insurance policy as well?? And is REGO like your tax disc in the UK? Thanks, Pete

Rego is like Tax in the UK yes but the insurance doesnt come 'free' with it unfortunately! Its called CTP (compulsary third party) insurance (which is exactly what it says - third party). You can shop around to get the cheapest one. You then have to get your regular comprehensive insurance on top of that!!

HTH
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:37 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, the third party cover is only to cover you for liability against personal injury, I believe.

Queensland operates a common law 'fault' based Compulsory Third Party (CTP) scheme, first introduced in 1936. The scheme provides motor vehicle owners with an insurance policy that covers their unlimited liability for personal injury caused by, through or in connection with the use of the insured motor vehicle in incidents to which the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994 applies.

For the injured third party it provides access to common law, that is, the injured person has a right to approach a law court to seek monetary compensation from the person 'at fault' for the personal injury and other related losses. As a fault based scheme it requires proof of liability, i.e. the injured party must be able to establish negligence against an owner or driver of a motor vehicle. Consequently, circumstances can arise where, for example, a driver who is wholly at fault in an accident cannot obtain compensation because there is no negligent party against whom a claim can be made.
Source

If you have no other cover and write off someone's nice new BMW, you will be forking out a crap load of money. Get fully comprehensive on top.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:18 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Just to add, the third party cover is only to cover you for liability against personal injury, I believe.

Source

If you have no other cover and write off someone's nice new BMW, you will be forking out a crap load of money. Get fully comprehensive on top.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Hi, thanks for your reply, think i know what you mean. Ive just been onto an insurance website and it said a little about green slip. it said cars at $290 -$300 for the premium. Does this sound about right? Some of the insurance companys ive just looked at didnt even say anything about greenslip cover! Does this CTP last for a year and is it for the vehicle as a whole and not per driver? So if you have 2 cars you have to get pay up for both?? Thanks Pete
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:32 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for your reply, think i know what you mean. Ive just been onto an insurance website and it said a little about green slip. it said cars at $290 -$300 for the premium. Does this sound about right? Some of the insurance companys ive just looked at didnt even say anything about greenslip cover! Does this CTP last for a year and is it for the vehicle as a whole and not per driver? So if you have 2 cars you have to get pay up for both?? Thanks Pete

Hi again Pete

Yes the CTP goes with the car not the driver, so two cars means two lots of CTP! You cant get rego until you've got your Pink Slip (MOT) and Green Slip (CTP) and they are both annual.

If you buy a second hand car it will probably have some rego left - all this means is that you dont have to stump up for the Green Slip & Pink Slip (CTP & MOT) but you will still have to pay to registered the car in your name.

An example may help you:-

We bought our car in April which was advertised as having Rego until June. Foolishly we thought there wouldnt be an extra fees to pay until June but we had to pay to trans the registration to our name (I think this is what they call stamp duty) which cost around $400 (CTP is automatically transferred at this stage - nothing else you need to do). Then come June we got a reminder for the CTP (you can phone around to get the cheapest one if you decide to) and also a reminder that Rego was due. We then had to phone to renew the CTP (around $330 I think) and book the car in to get the pink slip ($29). When all this was done we then took all the paperwork to RTA to get the rego (around $220 I think). You should always take these costs into consideration when you buy a car - they tend to build up - especially if when you take the car for the pink slip you're told it needs 4 new tyres!!

On top of all this you also have to arrange the Comprehensive Insurance. This is just like in the UK though and will be annual from the date of purchase (or from when you first took out the insurance).

HTH

Last edited by tygwyn; Jul 23rd 2006 at 5:36 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:11 am
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hi again Pete

Yes the CTP goes with the car not the driver, so two cars means two lots of CTP! You cant get rego until you've got your Pink Slip (MOT) and Green Slip (CTP) and they are both annual.

If you buy a second hand car it will probably have some rego left - all this means is that you dont have to stump up for the Green Slip & Pink Slip (CTP & MOT) but you will still have to pay to registered the car in your name.

We bought our car in April which was advertised as having Rego until June. Foolishly we thought there wouldnt be an extra fees to pay until June but we had to pay to trans the registration to our name (I think this is what they call stamp duty) which cost around $400 (CTP is automatically transferred at this stage - nothing else you need to do). Then come June we got a reminder for the CTP (you can phone around to get the cheapest one if you decide to) and also a reminder that Rego was due. We then had to phone to renew the CTP (around $330 I think) and book the car in to get the pink slip ($29). When all this was done we then took all the paperwork to RTA to get the rego (around $220 I think). You should always take these costs into consideration when you buy a car - they tend to build up - especially if when you take the car for the pink slip you're told it needs 4 new tyres!!

On top of all this you also have to arrange the Comprehensive Insurance. This is just like in the UK though and will be annual from the date of purchase (or from when you first took out the insurance).

HTH
Thanks for that, just when you thought you knew everything it all changes.I knew about the pink slip being like an MOT as I am a mechanic in the uk. (we will be moving out in september hopefullly) but didnt have a clue about the rest you have just told me, thanks for your help. We will be wanting a second hand car as soon as we get there, being a mechanic i cant live without a speedy mobile!! so I will be looking for a car with pinks slip and green slip and rego for a while so that I dont need to do it all at once!!! Thanks again Pete
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:57 am
brown eyes!

Hi again Pete

HTH
Just me again, when you buy the car and transfer the registration you said its also "stamp duty" is this workrd out on the price of the car that you are buying or is it a set fee??? And the registration I take it is like in the Uk (DVLA green sheet of paper registration cerficicate that you keep whilst owning the car and then send one part in and the other to the new owner when the car is sold) ? Thanks again, I just want to get everything right before we go!!Pete
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:03 am

Just me again, when you buy the car and transfer the registration you said its also "stamp duty" is this workrd out on the price of the car that you are buying or is it a set fee??? And the registration I take it is like in the Uk (DVLA green sheet of paper registration cerficicate that you keep whilst owning the car and then send one part in and the other to the new owner when the car is sold) ? Thanks again, I just want to get everything right before we go!!Pete

Yes its worked ut on the price of the car. You get to keep paperwork etc but i've never sold so dont know the procedure sorry. This site may help (its the aussie equivalent of dvla in nsw):-

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:32 am
brown eyes!

Yes its worked ut on the price of the car. You get to keep paperwork etc but i've never sold so dont know the procedure sorry. This site may help (its the aussie equivalent of dvla in nsw):-

Just been onto that site and with it being NSW I couldnt find much about the same stuff in Queensland. Do people in any state use the NSW RTA or is there one for Queensland?? Pete
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:38 am
brown eyes!

Its ok, Ive just found it on Queensland government site, there is a part about registration, thanks for your help, Pete
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its ok, Ive just found it on Queensland government site, there is a part about registration, thanks for your help, Pete
Yet again, each State works differently. Qld has no annual MOT, but you need to get a safety certificate (similar to MOT) for the buyer before you can sell a car.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:47 am
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yet again, each State works differently. Qld has no annual MOT, but you need to get a safety certificate (similar to MOT) for the buyer before you can sell a car.
So you dont need a pink slip then in Brisbane?? Also on the Queensland government website I found it said that the stamp duty was $2.00 per $100, so only 2% of the price unlike the 3% of the purchase price in NSW?? Pete
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So you dont need a pink slip then in Brisbane?? Also on the Queensland government website I found it said that the stamp duty was $2.00 per $100, so only 2% of the price unlike the 3% of the purchase price in NSW?? Pete
Yep, if you are buying in Qld, go by their website -same applies in many others areas of life, you need to make sure the info applies to your own State.