Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rego Costs and Govt Fees for Cars

Rego Costs and Govt Fees for Cars

Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rego Costs and Govt Fees for Cars

All,

Have been looking at cars in Victoria and am attracted by the prices at Melbourne's Cheapest Cars - for they do seem to be the cheapest in Melbourne.

That said the adverts state that all the prices are without rego. and govt. fees.

Does anyone have any insight as what this might be on say a four year old Aurion which seem to cost circa $12,000?

Many thanks,

Bear
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rego Costs and Govt Fees for Cars

I would give MCC a call and ask them. I tried Googling but didn't come up with much. Good luck.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob View Post
All,

Have been looking at cars in Victoria and am attracted by the prices at Melbourne's Cheapest Cars - for they do seem to be the cheapest in Melbourne.

That said the adverts state that all the prices are without rego. and govt. fees.

Does anyone have any insight as what this might be on say a four year old Aurion which seem to cost circa $12,000?

Many thanks,

Bear
Hi Bear, follow the links on the Vic Roads https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-a-vehiclesite, or if you are still unsure contact them at https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/contact-us.

With a business name like "Melbourne's Cheapest Cars", I would have alarm bells ringing because there can be a lot of dodgy dealers out there flogging off lemons, especially in the wholesale used car market. $12 sounds like it will have a very high mileage for a 4 year old car or a lot of faults. I would advise you to get the vehicle mechanically checked by either a your own mechanic or someone such as RACV, or NMRA, who provide a service to club members and people who are looking at purchasing used cars.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 2nd 2015 at 11:20 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Thank Guys - much appreciated.

I'm your traditional Toyota used car sort of guy so even looking at a company called Melbourne's Cheapest Cars is stepping outside my comfort zone.

It seems akin to the trade Centre in White City or Motorpoint - but with a less reassuring name perhaps?

The plan would be to hire from the airport for a few days and to then buy something worthy for a family of 4 for the next couple of years. When we last visited Oz we enjoyed driving an Outlander, an X Trail and a Camry, and in the past had a good experience with an Aurion.

Any petrol heads or hoons with good suggestions for family cars costing less that $15,000 would be appreciated. :0
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm your traditional Toyota used car sort of guy so even looking at a company called Melbourne's Cheapest Cars is stepping outside my comfort zone.

It seems akin to the trade Centre in White City or Motorpoint - but with a less reassuring name perhaps?

The plan would be to hire from the airport for a few days and to then buy something worthy for a family of 4 for the next couple of years. When we last visited Oz we enjoyed driving an Outlander, an X Trail and a Camry, and in the past had a good experience with an Aurion.

Any petrol heads or hoons with good suggestions for family cars costing less that $15,000 would be appreciated. :0
Hahaaaa, just posted something and meant to add a link to Red Book - but instead I posted a link to a Pink music video I'll start again.....

Hi bezzanbob. I'm not sure about Melbourne, but in Perth ex-government vehicles are auctioned off and there are some real bargains to be had. Example, I had a top of the range Subaru Forrester with all the fruit, that I'd only driven in the metro area for 2 years and it was in mint condition. Not sure what the new price was (it was a fleet deal) but it was in the vicinity of $42,000. When it went to auction it sold for $16,000. If auctions don't scare you, it might be worth checking your local area to see what's about.

You can check the current selling price of just about any used vehicle here Car Valuation Certificates - Car Values - Future Car Values - RedBook.com.au

Best of luck for your trip over and your stay in Oz.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:25 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Cars for Sale - New & Used Car Sales | CarsGuide
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys,

Not sure i'm the auction type but equally don't want to tie my disposable income up in an expensive car.

Thank you for the link to Cars Guide. I've used that extensiveley as well as Car Sales, so I do have some idea about the market.

Any recommendations for good cars to consider anybody?

Bear