Rego ?

Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

dawn french is on a distinguished road
Default Rego ?

Hi All
We have a question concerning the rego which I think is like the road tax in the UK. My wife sister and hubby have lived over in OZ for 6 years and recon getting the rego means you can drive without insurance !!!!!. Seems kinda way off the mark and they have been wrong before does anyone know for sure.
We fly out on August 12th so we are doing our last minute finaces ect and would really like to know..

Thanks Alan n Dawn
Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:32 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Rego ?

Originally Posted by dawn french
Hi All
We have a question concerning the rego which I think is like the road tax in the UK. My wife sister and hubby have lived over in OZ for 6 years and recon getting the rego means you can drive without insurance !!!!!. Seems kinda way off the mark and they have been wrong before does anyone know for sure.
We fly out on August 12th so we are doing our last minute finaces ect and would really like to know..

Thanks Alan n Dawn
Only from memory and NSW experiences.

Is this the Green Slip/CTP insurance/3rd Party Insurance? It is compulsory to be able to drive and register your car with the RTA (Road & Traffic Authority). It is a 3rd party cover but I would highly recommend your own comprensive insurance - cheaper than the UK for me & hubby (over 30 yrs old).

Pink Slip is like the MOT if I remember rightly. Need this of course to register a car.

What state does she live in? I think it is different in each state. ABCDiamond, over to you

M

Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:34 pm
Merlot

A bit more

http://www.greenslips.com.au/faq.asp

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/

Good luck
M

Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

dawn french is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice we are going to Perth WA Ill check those links
Thanks Alan
Originally Posted by Merlot
Only from memory and NSW experiences.

Is this the Green Slip/CTP insurance/3rd Party Insurance? It is compulsory to be able to drive and register your car with the RTA (Road & Traffic Authority). It is a 3rd party cover but I would highly recommend your own comprensive insurance - cheaper than the UK for me & hubby (over 30 yrs old).

Pink Slip is like the MOT if I remember rightly. Need this of course to register a car.

What state does she live in? I think it is different in each state. ABCDiamond, over to you

M
Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:45 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by dawn french
Thanks for the advice we are going to Perth WA Ill check those links
Thanks Alan
From my understanding laws and reg's change from state to state, when the Perthies wake up and I am sure they will fill you in on more relevant & up-to-date information for you.

The links will be a start off.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:49 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

From my understanding laws and reg's change from state to state, when the Perthies wake up and I am sure they will fill you in on more relevant & up-to-date information for you.

The links will be a start off.

Best wishes
Merlot
I know that when i was in perth many moons ago yes rego had very basic 3rd party ins but think its still wise to get ins as you can be sued for personal injury etc :scared: also no MOT system in WA !
Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:53 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Perthforme
also no MOT system in WA !
:scared: Must be some knackered motors running around WA

I think I will move there.

M

Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:57 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

M
Yeah some old chonkers on the roads, if the cops pull you over and think your motor is dodgy then you over the pits then look out :scared:
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

M
It's the same here in QLD, no MOT equivalent testing

To the question

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance is the only form of insurance that is compulsory.

In QLD, it is paid each year along with the vehicle registration fee, to the Dept of Motor Transport. Some States let you get it yourself, and then you give them the proof before they will register the vehicle each year.

CTP protects you against any claims that could arise because of death or injury to other people caused by the negligence of anyone driving your car.
It does NOT cover the driver of your car or damage to vehicles or property.

If a car isn't registered, then it normally isn't Insured either.

If you get hit by a car even with just the basic CTP cover, then you have to pay for your own car to be repaired, and then claim from that individual, who in all likelyhood will never be able to pay you.

It is worthwhile having comp cover, so that your insurer pays, and then They claim from that individual.

Within my first year here, I was hit by an unregistered vehicle, and learn't all about this, but I had comp cover, so no hassle for me

A good link here for questions on CTP cover in QLD
http://www.maic.qld.gov.au/ctp-premium/faqs.shtml