Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Registering a vehicle.

Registering a vehicle.

Old Apr 14th 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Alan- will become famous soon enough
Default Registering a vehicle.

There's been some discussion on the camping threads, about registering cars and campervans bought by temporary reccie visitors, or others just wanting to do a road trip prior to deciding where to take root.

Can someone give a definate answer as to whether you need a permanent address or not to register a vehicle ??

Is registration different in differing states??

Is it better to buy in say WA and travel east, or reverse ??

Some have given hotels which they have had overnight stays in, but I just can't see that that would be OK.

Maybe that would be OK if nothing happened and no one had a reason to contact the registered address ??

If this is a back packers "trick", then I'm afraid I'd have to start my hopeful OZ residence with a bit more respect for their rules !!

But is there a "proper" way to comply without a permanent address ??

Alan.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Alan- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Registering a vehicle.

Please

Thankyou

Alan
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:37 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a vehicle.

Originally Posted by Alan-
There's been some discussion on the camping threads, about registering cars and campervans bought by temporary reccie visitors, or others just wanting to do a road trip prior to deciding where to take root.

Can someone give a definate answer as to whether you need a permanent address or not to register a vehicle ??

Is registration different in differing states??

Is it better to buy in say WA and travel east, or reverse ??

Some have given hotels which they have had overnight stays in, but I just can't see that that would be OK.

Maybe that would be OK if nothing happened and no one had a reason to contact the registered address ??

If this is a back packers "trick", then I'm afraid I'd have to start my hopeful OZ residence with a bit more respect for their rules !!

But is there a "proper" way to comply without a permanent address ??

Alan.
For NSW have a read through here... RTA

It's definitely different in various states... selling a vehicle out of state can be troublesome I believe...

At the end of the day there has to be a way to do it or the Old Bill would be having a field day with all the camper vans about...