Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Registering as a teacher in Victoria

Registering as a teacher in Victoria

Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:24 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering as a teacher in Victoria

Hi, we move in May. My wife wants to register before we go. Does anyone have any experience of registering for Victoria BEFORE the move?

1. How do we pay from the UK? All the prices are in $
2. They seem to want someone to sign it in Victoria (the person who gives you your character reference). Has anyone done this in the UK?

Anyone done this before?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:37 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering as a teacher in Victoria

Originally posted by cutgrass
Hi, we move in May. My wife wants to register before we go. Does anyone have any experience of registering for Victoria BEFORE the move?

2. They seem to want someone to sign it in Victoria (the person who gives you your character reference). Has anyone done this in the UK?

Anyone done this before?

paying: goto your bank and do a bank transfer, from GBP to AUSD make sure the amount also covers fees for exchange rates !
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't help on registering before you go (I'm registered in Vic but from my time when I lived and taught there) but is this link of any help? As Timber said it is easy to arrange a bank draft in A$'s at any UK bank.

http://www.teaching.vic.gov.au/careeropp/default.htm

Good luck.

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; May 5th 2004 at 10:45 am.
Old May 5th 2004, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

avocado is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked solicitor to sign this part in the UK and now have received a positive provisional registration from VIT

Anyone done this before?
Old May 5th 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bret is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone done this before?
Yes - my wife registered as a secondary school teacher before she went (in fact we are not going until August).

The website is below and you can complete forms online ready to print (although some boxes cant be filled in and need to be done after printing it I seem to remember).

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/

You can send your forms off wihtout payment and then pay it on-line (same website) using a visa card once they send you an invoice. As easy as 1,2,3.

Her character reference was sent off with the applicaiton and was signed by a friend in the UK.

The assessment came back OK so we must have done something right.

Hope this is of use
Old May 5th 2004, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Bret
Yes - my wife registered as a secondary school teacher before she went (in fact we are not going until August).

The website is below and you can complete forms online ready to print (although some boxes cant be filled in and need to be done after printing it I seem to remember).

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/

You can send your forms off wihtout payment and then pay it on-line (same website) using a visa card once they send you an invoice. As easy as 1,2,3.

Her character reference was sent off with the applicaiton and was signed by a friend in the UK.

The assessment came back OK so we must have done something right.

Hope this is of use
Just to confirm that Bret's answer is spot on.

With regards to the payment. Once they start to process your registration, they send you an invoice, which you then pay via their website.
Old May 5th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Bret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WhiteRose
Just to confirm that Bret's answer is spot on.

With regards to the payment. Once they start to process your registration, they send you an invoice, which you then pay via their website.
WhiteRose - are you teaching in Oz? If so any thoughts on how to get a job, when to apply, terms etc. My wife had planned to do supply work for a bit starting in september (if such a thing exists) before choosing her school. Is this feasible do you think?
Old May 6th 2004, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Bret
WhiteRose - are you teaching in Oz? If so any thoughts on how to get a job, when to apply, terms etc. My wife had planned to do supply work for a bit starting in september (if such a thing exists) before choosing her school. Is this feasible do you think?
Bret,

I've just sent you a PM.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 6:23 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Default Bachelor Of Engineering - Teacher

Dear all,

I have done 4 years Bachelor of Electrical Engineering from overseas. My qualifications are assessed by IEAUST as professional Engineer.
How can I register as a teacher with "Victorian Institute of Teaching"?

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/appreg.htm

Thanks,

Bill
Old Jul 21st 2004, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bachelor Of Engineering - Teacher

Originally posted by smurtaza
Dear all,

I have done 4 years Bachelor of Electrical Engineering from overseas. My qualifications are assessed by IEAUST as professional Engineer.
How can I register as a teacher with "Victorian Institute of Teaching"?

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/appreg.htm

Thanks,

Bill
I would expect that you would need to do some kind of post graduate teaching qualification before you are able to teach, but the details of how you register are shown on the link that you posted.

Not sure what other information you are after.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

smwtorrington is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you please help ?

We are close to getting our visa (fingers crossed, received pre-grant letter) my wife is a primary school teacher and will need to register to teach in Victoria. There appears to be two application forms on the web page earlier in this thread can anybody advise which one she needs to fill in ? My wife graduated in 1996 and has been teaching in UK for last 8 years full time, we are both British and she has never taught abroad. She trained via a 4 year course in UK.

Also any general advice on job hunting for teachers in VIC would be good, i.e need to fill in one application form for all posts or different CVs and forms for each post applied for. Looking to move in January all going well.

Many thanks

Scott
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:09 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Registering as a teacher in Victoria

Originally Posted by smwtorrington
Could you please help ?

We are close to getting our visa (fingers crossed, received pre-grant letter) my wife is a primary school teacher and will need to register to teach in Victoria. There appears to be two application forms on the web page earlier in this thread can anybody advise which one she needs to fill in ? My wife graduated in 1996 and has been teaching in UK for last 8 years full time, we are both British and she has never taught abroad. She trained via a 4 year course in UK.

Also any general advice on job hunting for teachers in VIC would be good, i.e need to fill in one application form for all posts or different CVs and forms for each post applied for. Looking to move in January all going well.

Many thanks

Scott
I have obtained a provisional registeration from VIT on the basis of my 4 year bechelor of electrical engineering degree.Can I use my VIT provisional registeration to work as a teacher in Sydney?Please comment and suggest?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
I have obtained a provisional registeration from VIT on the basis of my 4 year bechelor of electrical engineering degree.Can I use my VIT provisional registeration to work as a teacher in Sydney?Please comment and suggest?

I do not believe so. To work in NSW, you will have to register separately with the New South Wales Institute of Teachers (NSWIT)

www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au

I hope this helps.

S
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smwtorrington
Could you please help ?

Many thanks

Scott
Do you mean forms A and B? A is needed for everyone, B is needed if you've already done 80 days teaching and want to apply for full registration which I presume your wife does.

Supposed to be very easy to get supply teaching which is an excellent lead in to schools and you get to "interview" them to see where you want to go.

Apparently take home pay for emergency teaching in secondary school is $160 per day.

I've been told all this by Australian teachers so it sounds prettty factual.