Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Registering with Medicare and Getting a Tax File No. (TFN)

Registering with Medicare and Getting a Tax File No. (TFN)

Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Registering with Medicare and Getting a Tax File No. (TFN)

Can you please advise me and I am sure this question has been asked a million times before.

We are looking to emigrate in August can we register with Medicare and get a tax file number before we arrive please?

If not, where do we go to get these please? I see in South Australia they have a Meet and Greet Service which sounds really good for newbies is there anything like this in Perth when you land please.

Any advice on this please would be really helpful.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

peggy76 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Registering with Medicare and Getting a Tax File No. (TFN)

Hi, you need a permanent Aus address. Im not sure if you can get the forms from The Net. But i know that when we got ours we just went into Medicare and fill the forms out there, you are suplied with a medicare number straight away then a card will come through the post. You keep this with you in your purse or wallet. The TFN you can do over the Net or you can print the form off and send it off whichever suits.
Good luck
Mags
Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering with Medicare and Getting a Tax File No. (TFN)

Just wait until you get here. It will take three minutes to apply for a TFN online, but you can't do it from overseas. Also you can register for medicare by walking into a medicare office, you will find them all over the place.

I don't think any of the states but SA do the meet and greet and SA are going to stop it shortly (or they might have already).