Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Registered Professional Engineer/EA membership/CPEng - in Queensland

Registered Professional Engineer/EA membership/CPEng - in Queensland

Old Nov 30th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

QLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really nice
Question Registered Professional Engineer/EA membership/CPEng - in Queensland

Hi
Good day
I am planning to apply for registration for Professional engineers of Queensland.
As far as I understand, I have to undergo assessment by engineers Australia.
I had undergone skills assessment for the purpose immigration and obtained my positive assessment as a professional engineer and I do not understand the difference between assessment for immigration and assessment for Qualification.
Should I provide a CDR again ?
From where should I start the procedure ? Has any body completed assessment and obtained registration in QLD ?
Regards
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Stuart457 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How become a Registered Professional Engineer in Queensland

Hi
If you were registered with the IMECHE or similar in the UK as a Professional Engineer then your qualifications and experience will be accepted here under the a reciprocal agreement with the UK. The Engineers Australia web site has all the information but it is not that easy to find.

If you were not registered in the UK, then you will have to check if your qualification is accredited by Engineers Australia under the Sydney or Washington accord.

I have just been through this process and have been registered as a Technologist based on my UK qualification.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart457
Hi
If you were registered with the IMECHE or similar in the UK as a Professional Engineer then your qualifications and experience will be accepted here under the a reciprocal agreement with the UK. The Engineers Australia web site has all the information but it is not that easy to find.

If you were not registered in the UK, then you will have to check if your qualification is accredited by Engineers Australia under the Sydney or Washington accord.

I have just been through this process and have been registered as a Technologist based on my UK qualification.
Stuart what qualificaton did you have? Toying with applying myself, but would really prefer to go go for chartered status if possible, however I don't have a degree only a HND, is it possible to for for Chartered status through the experience/professional review route?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Stuart457 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I do not have a degree either, I went the apprenticeship/college route many years ago in the UK and end up with a City & Guilds Full Tech Cert

Just to clarify something about Chartered status, you can be a Chartered engineer at any of the three levels of membership of EAust. Professional (CPEng), Technologist (CEngT) or Officer (Associate) (CEngO)

I can only really tell you about the way I went about gaining membership and registration.

I checked with the UK Engineering council what level of membership was available in the UK with my level academic qualification. It turned out I had 'grandfather rights' to be an Incorporated Engineer. They provided me with a letter confirming this.

I checked with Engineers Australia and they replied that the equivalent membership level in Australia would be an Engineering Technologist. They accepted my academic qualification as meeting the minimum requirements based on the statement from the UK Engineering council.

I sent the letter, a certified copy of my qualification, and a verified copy of my CV and a fair few $ and was accepted as a member.

Bear in mind that the 'normal' modern Australian academic qualification for an Engineering Technologist would be a 3 year Bachelor Degree.

I think a 5 year honors degree is required as the minimum academic qualification for professional membership plus experience at working at that level.

I did have a quick look at the route from Technologist to Professional but the
minimum academic qualification is the road block for me. Additional experience working at Profession level does not seem to be sufficient.

Hope that helps

Stuart
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:14 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, about the RPEQ (Registered Professional Engineer in Queensland) requirement. If you want to work as a professional engineer in Queensland you must either have RPEQ status or be working under the direct supervision of an RPEQ. That is State legislation. So unless you will be working independently or in a senior/supervisory position RPEQ is not essential - it is however advisable from a promotion point of view.

The Queensland Engineers Registration Board used to do the assessments themselves: this got too much like hard work so they handed it all over to Engineers Australia. Basically if you have Chartered Engineer status within IEAust you will automatically qualify for RPEQ. If you don't have CPEng then getting RPEQ will be very difficult if not impossible.

You certainly used to be able to get IEAust membership with an HND plus experience - that's how I got in in 1984. But I think you would find that hard if not impossible nowadays, with the plethora of university graduates around. Worth a try though.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Dec 1st 2011 at 4:56 am. Reason: Added the bits I was in too much of a rush to get in before.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Where's Weebie? He would be going mental with this thread!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

QLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really nice

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Firstly, about the RPEQ (Registered Professional Engineer in Queensland) requirement. If you want to work as a professional engineer in Queensland you must either have RPEQ status or be working under the direct supervision of an RPEQ. That is State legislation. So unless you will be working independently or in a senior/supervisory position RPEQ is not essential - it is however advisable from a promotion point of view.

The Queensland Engineers Registration Board used to do the assessments themselves: this got too much like hard work so they handed it all over to Engineers Australia. Basically if you have Chartered Engineer status within IEAust you will automatically qualify for RPEQ. If you don't have CPEng then getting RPEQ will be very difficult if not impossible.

You certainly used to be able to get IEAust membership with an HND plus experience - that's how I got in in 1984. But I think you would find that hard if not impossible nowadays, with the plethora of university graduates around. Worth a try though.
Thanks for your kind reply. As far as I understood, I have to undergo a scheme 2 assessment conducted by EA which includes submitting a CER and MSA letter and seems to be achievable. The only problem is that ( I am not still sure about this) all applicants should attend an interview in EA.
I was planning to apply for registration prior to landing in QLD to save my time but it seems that I will not be able to do so.
Please advice if you have any information regarding the interview. Is it a must ?
Regards
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:35 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by QLDlover
Thanks for your kind reply. As far as I understood, I have to undergo a scheme 2 assessment conducted by EA which includes submitting a CER and MSA letter and seems to be achievable. The only problem is that ( I am not still sure about this) all applicants should attend an interview in EA.
I was planning to apply for registration prior to landing in QLD to save my time but it seems that I will not be able to do so.
Please advice if you have any information regarding the interview. Is it a must ?
Regards
You don't need an interview to become a Member, but you do need to attend an interview to upgrade from Member to Chartered Member status. Having sat on a couple of interview panels I can tell you that they bend over backwards to accept Chartered members: there was one guy that I was a bit dubious about but the other two on the panel persuaded me to ask him a few more questions and accept his responses. As far as I was concerned he was a project manager, not an engineer, but that doesn't seem to matter these days.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

laomashu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
You don't need an interview to become a Member, but you do need to attend an interview to upgrade from Member to Chartered Member status. Having sat on a couple of interview panels I can tell you that they bend over backwards to accept Chartered members: there was one guy that I was a bit dubious about but the other two on the panel persuaded me to ask him a few more questions and accept his responses. As far as I was concerned he was a project manager, not an engineer, but that doesn't seem to matter these days.
Kjcherokee,

From your point of view, how difficult of interview, I am actually applying Cpeng, done the paper works and accepted by EA. The PI will be in late Jan. I am getting bit nervous. Any tips and hints would be appreciated.

Henry
Old Dec 9th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laomashu
Kjcherokee,

From your point of view, how difficult of interview, I am actually applying Cpeng, done the paper works and accepted by EA. The PI will be in late Jan. I am getting bit nervous. Any tips and hints would be appreciated.

Henry
Hi Henry
How did you apply for Cpeng? was that through EPR application ?
Regards
Old Dec 10th 2011, 1:55 am
Just Joined

laomashu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by QLDlover
Hi Henry
How did you apply for Cpeng? was that through EPR application ?
Regards
No. I am applying Cpeng via MEEP.

Regards

Henry
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:24 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

As far as the interview goes, the procedure in the ones I have sat in on is that the interviewee gives a presentation on his career highlighting the areas which demonstrate his ability to work on engineering problems unsupervised (PowerPoint can be used). Then the panel (one IEAust person and two other CPEng engineers ask any questions they like before sending the applicant out and deciding on whether to say yes or no.

If you get as far as the interview you have to be pretty bad to fail it! However it is in the lap of the gods as to who you get on the panel and how grumpy they feel that day.

Hints:
Don't bullshit. Us oldies are experienced b/s detectors.
Do emphasize the good decisions you have made on your own, and your involvement in the success of projects. Remember that a CPEng is supposed to be a leader, not a follower, so we want to hear about where you have successfully acted as a leader.
Keep it brief - don't go on and on repeating yourself.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Dec 10th 2011 at 10:31 am.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Question EPR Sample for Chareter Registeration ( CPEng)

Hi
good day
I am going to apply for registration for CPEng. I am applying through EPR application.
1-Does any body have sampled or EPR ?
2- Since my work application has been obtained overseas I am not able to verify my work experience (CV) and EPR by a chartered member. Is it possible to verify my documents by an engineer who is not a chartered member ?
3- How should I submit my application ?
I appreciate your help in advance
Kind Regards
REZA
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged. There's no need to start a new thread on the same subject.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Copy of email I received.

My Question

I have recently moved from the UK to Brisbane and am keen to become a member of Engineers Australia, hopefully pursuing achieving Chartered status within the next 12 months. I attended college in the UK and gained a HNC in Civil Engineering, which under the Sydney Accord Agreement entitles me to apply for membership as an Engineering Technologist. However I have 16 years' experience within major multi-disciplinary projects and am currently working at a level I believe more appropriate to a Professional Engineer. Can you advise if it is possible to apply for membership as Professional Engineer and work towards chartered status through the experience/professional review route?

Response

Thank you for your email.

The occupational category is mainly based on your academic qualification rather than experience.

If you wish to be considered for Professional Engineer category, you may apply for a Stage 1 Competency Assessment to demonstrate competencies as a Professional Engineer directly.

When undertaking an assessment of Stage 1 Competence for Professional Engineer from an applicant who holds Technologist's qualification, Engineers Australia looks for evidence - within the applicant's qualifications, CV and narratives - that she or he has gained the Stage 1 competency of a Professional Engineer. The requirement is that the applicant demonstrates the competency that a graduate would have on completion of an accredited four-year BE in Australia. In the case of a Mechanical Engineer, this often brings to the fore the broad areas of engineering mathematics, physics, science, fluids, thermodynamics etc missing from the applicant's previous studies. Engineers Australia assesses the applicant's Stage 1 narratives which may or may not bridge the educational gap.

A copy of the Stage 1 Guide titled Guide to Assessment of Eligibility for Membership (Stage One Competency) can be downloaded from www.engineersaustralia.org.au/stage-1

I would suggest you have a look at the Stage 1 Guide bearing the above in mind and decide whether you would apply for a Stage 1 Assessment.

Otherwise, you can become an Engineering Technologist Member and discuss your options with the Articulation Manager to transfer to Professional Engineer category. The articulation process often involves some form of further studies.

Hope this has helped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.