Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

regional visa query

regional visa query

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:12 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Question regional visa query

i've just received my trade recognition and was looking at the victoria website and it states that after 2 years as long as i've worked for a minimum of 12 months i can apply for permanent residency. what it doesn't state is if my 12 months work has to be as a plumber which is the profesion that i'm getting in with. now obviously i want to work as a plumber but if there were any circumstances which would prevent me doing so and i was employed in a different job would this go against me.

the reason i ask this is i've been looking on the victoria job sites and plumbing and i can't find a good source of plumbing jobs.

we're looking to move to geelong. we're also going to try for the state sponsored

any advise will be gratefully received thanks in advance fraser
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: regional visa query

Originally Posted by fraser
i've just received my trade recognition and was looking at the victoria website and it states that after 2 years as long as i've worked for a minimum of 12 months i can apply for permanent residency. what it doesn't state is if my 12 months work has to be as a plumber which is the profesion that i'm getting in with. now obviously i want to work as a plumber but if there were any circumstances which would prevent me doing so and i was employed in a different job would this go against me.

the reason i ask this is i've been looking on the victoria job sites and plumbing and i can't find a good source of plumbing jobs.

we're looking to move to geelong. we're also going to try for the state sponsored

Hi fraser

I'm not 100% sure what Victoria stipulate but we were looking at SA for the SIR visa.

In SA they said as long as it was on the SOL list you will be elegible for PR.

Maybe it will be the same for Vic.

Graham
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa are you talking about? STNI or SIR?

Jeremy

Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:37 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What kind of visa are you talking about? STNI or SIR?

Jeremy
not sure yet jeremy which one i'll be getting as i'll be applying for both. but the information i required is for the SIR
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:07 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may find that there is no restriction on occupation in SA - in other words in SA you can work in any occupation (needn't be on the SOL) for 12 months to meet one of the requirements of the State Nomination pathway to permanent residency.

The situation in VIC is less clear cut. Those looking to VIC for a SIR visa as a pathway to permanent residency should contact the Skilled Migration Unit in Melbourne to see whether there is a requirement as to the nature of the work done prior to applying for a State Nomination from the VIC Government.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Gravyman
Hi fraser

I'm not 100% sure what Victoria stipulate but we were looking at SA for the SIR visa.

In SA they said as long as it was on the SOL list you will be elegible for PR.

Maybe it will be the same for Vic.

Graham
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I think you may find that there is no restriction on occupation in SA - in other words in SA you can work in any occupation (needn't be on the SOL) for 12 months to meet one of the requirements of the State Nomination pathway to permanent residency.
Alan
Are you sure about that?

From http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=260

"Eligibility for permanent stage visa via the STNI pathway is not based on the Occupations for State Nominations List, but it is expected that candidates will need to be employed in a skilled occupation."

Jeremy
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:41 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy,

"... expected that ... " is not the same thing as "must be" ...

Indeed, I have emails from Immigration SA representatives confirming that employment in any occupation for 12 months would be sufficient as to enable a State Nomination to proceed.

My observation is that this confirms the vagaries of the SIR visa process, and the danger of involving State Governments who seem to be making up the rules after people have applied for their SIR visas.

Having made enquiries in July I'll again follow up with Immigration SA (and the VIC Government for that matter) on what in my view is a hugely important issue.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Alan
Are you sure about that?

From http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=260

"Eligibility for permanent stage visa via the STNI pathway is not based on the Occupations for State Nominations List, but it is expected that candidates will need to be employed in a skilled occupation."

Jeremy
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:24 pm

so nobody knows what's going to happen. I think that if i've tried to find work in my profesion and can prove that i have and have worked and paid taxes as well as bought property i'd find it very harsh to be asked to leave. Just have to make sure i find a job.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

so nobody knows what's going to happen. I think that if i've tried to find work in my profesion and can prove that i have and have worked and paid taxes as well as bought property i'd find it very harsh to be asked to leave. Just have to make sure i find a job.
If you get STNI from the start you don't need to worry about this - it's only a potential problem if you have a SIR visa.

Jeremy
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:09 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Fraser,

I'll leave the commentary on the visa stuff to the experts. I can however with some degree of knowledge comment upon your chances of employment as a plumbe, as i work in the construction industry.

These will be extremely good, all good tradesmen are highly in demand and you should have very few worries obtaining work very quickly. Best places to look are saturday morning papers. Or look on www.yellowpages.com.au and try emailing a few plumbing contractors

Hope this reassures you a bit...

Jonboy
Old Nov 6th 2004, 8:16 am

cheers jonboy, such good news you told me twice