Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Regional accents in Oz.

Regional accents in Oz.

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Regional accents in Oz.

After the recent post on strange things happening to your accent after you arrive I wondered if they have regional accents from state to state?
Being a thick Pom I wouldn't notice this sort of thing. Has anyone noticed different accents?
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:21 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing i noticed was that the more feral the man, the gruffer and deeper the accent But i'm probably just generalising here
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

kzippi is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubbie lived in Melbourne, Australia 20 years ago for just 18 mths. He can still recognise if someone is from Sydney or Melbourne.................guess that answers it!!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 6:52 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

To an aussie, the regional accents can be quite strong. Even i can somtimes tell the difference between a qlder and someone from SA.

An example....

In vic, they say castle like a northerner....i.e. cAstle. In SA, they say it like a southerner....i.e. cARstle. Same with pAsta and pARsta
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:14 pm
Badge

and Queenslanders seem to tag "eh" on the ends.!

But in general there is nothing like the variation we get in the UK..

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:48 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regional accents in Oz.

Originally posted by tinaj
After the recent post on strange things happening to your accent after you arrive I wondered if they have regional accents from state to state?
Being a thick Pom I wouldn't notice this sort of thing. Has anyone noticed different accents?
when you , live here a while ,you will start to notice ,little differences, but the easiest way is certain words that are used, eg victorians say "milkbar" for the local shop in Sth Oz its" DELI"short for delicatessen , in Qld they say PORT {suitcase] Duchess {dressing table} when saying good by in Sth oz its ,"cat,ch ya later" in WA its "cop,ya later" when swimming in NSW you wear "swimmers" in VIC its "togs" in STH OZ its "bathers" every state has its differences, ya,ll soon catch, on.... MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

can anyone recommend a good book with translations of the local lingo for the uninformend (suddenly had a thought this might be a good chrissie present for hubbie and something I can while away the hours on the flight with)
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by FiFi
Hi

can anyone recommend a good book with translations of the local lingo for the uninformend (suddenly had a thought this might be a good chrissie present for hubbie and something I can while away the hours on the flight with)
There is the Macqaurie Dictionary of Slang.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of suggestions that I've found useful -m

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...528010-6799022

(Lonely Planet Australian phrasebook)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...528010-6799022

(English-Aus, Aus-English phrases)

Both quite cheap and both a mix of funny and informative - and very accurate
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:29 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
There is the Macqaurie Dictionary of Slang.

Available online:

http://www.macquariedictionary.com.a...ary/slang.html
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:21 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
and Queenslanders seem to tag "eh" on the ends.!

But in general there is nothing like the variation we get in the UK..
Agree about the variation & "eh" tacked on the end in Queensland. "but" is another one eg.
"oh that looks horrible"
"Yeah, tastes good but!"

They even did an ad here with a guy using that exact line in it. The "eh" & "but" thing drives me mad eh! Its contagious but!

Hideous! :scared:
Old Sep 24th 2003, 6:52 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mr mover
when you , live here a while ,you will start to notice ,little differences, but the easiest way is certain words that are used, eg victorians say "milkbar" for the local shop in Sth Oz its" DELI"short for delicatessen , in Qld they say PORT {suitcase] Duchess {dressing table} when saying good by in Sth oz its ,"cat,ch ya later" in WA its "cop,ya later" when swimming in NSW you wear "swimmers" in VIC its "togs" in STH OZ its "bathers" every state has its differences, ya,ll soon catch, on.... MM
I lived in WA till 1996. We said:
Deli
see ya later
bathers
And I think castle and pasta. so not carstle and parsta.

And I do say "but" at the end all the time. I always thought it was normal in english! So it's truely Australian?!
Oh and I very often begin sentences with 'anyway....'
Is that normal?

Anyway, in Oz it's just a bit of an accent change and some different words. Here in Holland we have totally different dialects. Sometimes even places 15 kms from each other can't understand each other. Luckily most dutch also speak 'standard dutch', cos I literally can't understand a word of what they say where I live if they speak dialect!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
Luckily most dutch also speak 'standard dutch', cos I literally can't understand a word of what they say where I live if they speak dialect!
Is that double dutch?

BTW, I dont think "but" is standard english, Dagboy & parents were most put off by it when they first heard it LOL.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:05 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
I lived in WA till 1996. We said:
Deli
see ya later
bathers
And I think castle and pasta. so not carstle and parsta.

And I do say "but" at the end all the time. I always thought it was normal in english! So it's truely Australian?!
Oh and I very often begin sentences with 'anyway....'
Is that normal?

Anyway, in Oz it's just a bit of an accent change and some different words. Here in Holland we have totally different dialects. Sometimes even places 15 kms from each other can't understand each other. Luckily most dutch also speak 'standard dutch', cos I literally can't understand a word of what they say where I live if they speak dialect!
i think the "cop,ya later" came from c.d {40 channel] talk ,the WA truckies were different, .....How do you find living in "clog wog land"?.......... MM
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:35 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I lived here from 0 till 5, don't remember that much.

Have now been living here since I was. Am now 21.

When I was 14 I thought it was really exciting moving back to Holland. I don't really miss much.
And I'm not moving back to Oz because I hate it here.
I just want something different, an adventure, and some more change at having chooks and maybe goats again.

Anyway, I can't really say which I like better, because I'll have to live and work as an adult in both countries for a while before I can say that. I won't be working here in Holland, because I'm now just finishing my study and then going straight to Oz.

Oh, and nobody wears clogs here! Except some exeptions like farmers (some) and my uncle in law, who is a builder, and wears them to work and in spare time. He was in Amsterdam a while ago with them, and he got some very strange looks! lol

Oh, and I don't smoke pot, don't live in a windmill, and don't have tulips in my house. I do eat cheese, and sometimes I'm on a bike, but in Australia I got so used to cars, that I now hate biking!