Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Refused sponsorship :(

Refused sponsorship :(

Old Jun 7th 2006, 8:47 am
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down Refused sponsorship :(

Oh no we got an email to say we had been refused sponsorship from the vic government this morning for our SIR. :scared: We can't believe it as we got accepted end of 2004 but had to reapply.
But we are not giving up. They said in the email that if we secure a job offer they would reconsider us. So we are going to see if we can secure a job in Vic or try other states. The trouble is how is anyone going to offer you a job when you probably won't be out there for 9-12months?

Gutted,

Jo & Jon
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:14 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Default Re: Refused sponsorship :(

Originally Posted by sparkleauz
Oh no we got an email to say we had been refused sponsorship from the vic government this morning for our SIR. :scared: We can't believe it as we got accepted end of 2004 but had to reapply.
But we are not giving up. They said in the email that if we secure a job offer they would reconsider us. So we are going to see if we can secure a job in Vic or try other states. The trouble is how is anyone going to offer you a job when you probably won't be out there for 9-12months?

Gutted,

Jo & Jon
Oh No! Bad news Guys! What skills are you? Im applying to Vic too - thought everyone was going to Perth and Brissie and that Vic would be empty and therefore give you sponsorship????
It has been done before - getting a job offer so soon in advance (especially in Nursing). Why you applying for sponsorship so early - what visa you going on?

Diane
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:57 am
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dianej
Oh No! Bad news Guys! What skills are you? Im applying to Vic too - thought everyone was going to Perth and Brissie and that Vic would be empty and therefore give you sponsorship????
It has been done before - getting a job offer so soon in advance (especially in Nursing). Why you applying for sponsorship so early - what visa you going on?

Diane
My husband is a printer, and that was on their Skills in Demand list, but not now.
We are going for the SIR visa, where the state sponsors you, you get a two year visa, and if you work for one year out of the two, in your skill area, you can apply for a permanent visa. I guess its aimed at people who don't have enough points.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a printer, and that was on their Skills in Demand list, but not now.
We are going for the SIR visa, where the state sponsors you, you get a two year visa, and if you work for one year out of the two, in your skill area, you can apply for a permanent visa. I guess its aimed at people who don't have enough points.

Sorry to hear your bad news, I have heard that Victoria are really bad for turning people down. Have you tried another state ?

How many points do you have for general skilled migration and do you have an agent ?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:07 am
By the sea

Originally Posted by WendyC
Sorry to hear your bad news, I have heard that Victoria are really bad for turning people down. Have you tried another state ?

How many points do you have for general skilled migration and do you have an agent ?
We are really gutted as they accepted us afew years back. We'll definitely consider another state, SA and WA are alot easier to get in. We haven't been using an agent as I've been off on maternity leave, so have enjoyed doing all the research at home. We'll also look at the general skilled migration again. I think we may have enough points, we just went for the SIR as we had been accepted in the past, thought it would be straight forward!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We are really gutted as they accepted us afew years back. We'll definitely consider another state, SA and WA are alot easier to get in. We haven't been using an agent as I've been off on maternity leave, so have enjoyed doing all the research at home. We'll also look at the general skilled migration again. I think we may have enough points, we just went for the SIR as we had been accepted in the past, thought it would be straight forward!

If you don't have the 120 points for the 136, then have you considered the STNI, this only requires 70 points and is a permanent visa. They both take around the same amount of time, which seems to be around 3 - 5 months currently.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:24 am
By the sea

If you don't have the 120 points for the 136, then have you considered the STNI, this only requires 70 points and is a permanent visa. They both take around the same amount of time, which seems to be around 3 - 5 months currently.
Thats great, thanks for your help, I'll be looking into that later this afternoon.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:19 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default SIR visa sponsorship - Victoria

- In what region of VIC did you say you were going to live and work?

- What research did you do to establish a need for work in that region?

- Did you confirm this when applying for SIR visa sponsorship?

I only ask this as I was speaking with the Skilled Migration Program in Melbourne on Monday (I'm also seeing a couple of their people at a seminar tomorrow), and the issue of demonstrating you have researched your employment prospects in your chosen region is a major factor to the VIC Government before they will give SIR visa sponsorship. Note that "doing research" is not the same as "having found a job."

Feel able to contact me if you want me to look at your situation more fully ... alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com, or:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

Best regards.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:24 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

I was under the impression you still have to be nominated/sponsored by an employer or the state under and STNI Visa?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:27 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

A Skilled - STNI visa does indeed require a State or Territory Nomination ...

Best regards.

I was under the impression you still have to be nominated/sponsored by an employer or the state under and STNI Visa?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes you do, but to my way of thinking why go on a temporary visa when a permanent one is an option.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:32 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Yes you do, but to my way of thinking why go on a temporary visa when a permanent one is an option.
134 is not a temporary visa its a PR. Im going out on hat (hopefully) but I still have to apply to Vic Government for sponsorship or wait for a job offer.
Wont they be in the same boat by applying for either a 137, 134 as both need to apply for sponsorship/nomination?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

134 is not a temporary visa its a PR. Im going out on hat (hopefully) but I still have to apply to Vic Government for sponsorship or wait for a job offer.
Wont they be in the same boat by applying for either a 137, 134 as both need to apply for sponsorship/nomination?

Yes they will. The OP applied for SIR though which is temporary. There isn't much difference in them from what I can see.

SIR - 110 points needed, but it is temporary.

STNI - 70 points needed, and is permanent.

134 Skills matching visa - not points tested and is permanent.

I don't know that much about the 134 visa, but I think for all three of these visa's you need to be nominated by the state or territory that you apply for.

For them to sponser you, you need to demonstrate to that state that you have the necessary skills required for your job and that you have researched the job situation in that state. Like Alan said previously, it's not about just finding a job it's about proving what you will do if that job were to go pear shaped etc.

But I still can't see why anyone would apply for SIR temporary visa when there is the possibility of a permanent one. Unless it's to do with the amount of time they have to get there, ie: if they have a job to go to.

Maybe I'm missing the point somewhere along the way, and I'm sure someone will point it out for me if I am. All I know is that when we first applied before Electricians were on the MODL, we had the choice of SIR or STNI and the SIR was never even a consideration for us.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:43 pm
Migration Agent

VIC actually isn't too bad in my experience, Wendy. Their timescales for decisions on applications for State Nominations isn't great at present, but they are at least being fairly rigorous - which probably serves the interests of applicants because they want to make sure there is in fact a need for the occupation before they will Nominate.

Their requirements for SIR visa sponsorship applications are a tad more cryptic than (say) SA, but that is because the VIC Government has until recently adopted the approach of pushing the identification of occupations that are needed out to the regions ... I understand this is being amended so that applicants for SIR visas will now be required to demonstrate that they know how to research the employment market in Victoria (see also my comment above).

SA is a different animal of course, because the whole of the State is eligible for SIR visa applicants as a place to live and work.

Best regards.

Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:48 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Hey Alan, Surely must be Ok for nurses to get nominated by Vic Gov? Worried now!

Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.