Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Refrigerated air con

Refrigerated air con

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about
Default Refrigerated air con

Hi all & merry christmas.

I have just moved into a house which has a panasonic refrigerated air conditioning. We have had evarpotive air con in the past, I cannot seem to get it to work. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Love Sarah.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:14 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refrigerated air con

Originally Posted by sarah & mark

I have just moved into a house which has a panasonic refrigerated air conditioning. We have had evarpotive air con in the past, I cannot seem to get it to work. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Love Sarah.
Is it Reverse Cycle, if so make sure it is in cooling and not heating.
Try changing the mode.
The symbol should be a frosty sign rather then a sun sign.
It takes a few minutes to change round the condensers so press it once then wait or you will just confuse it.
Kevin.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about

Hi Kevin,

It is reverse cycle & it is on cool. Its set to 16 degrees the lowest temp but there is only a light breeze coming from it am i expecting too much from it?

Love Sarah.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:28 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kevin,

It is reverse cycle & it is on cool. Its set to 16 degrees the lowest temp but there is only a light breeze coming from it am i expecting too much from it?

Love Sarah.
Is at a split system or a ducted ?
Is it on Auto or can you adjust the fan setting?

Our split would blow your wig off on full fan!

Kevin
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

It has 2 systems upstairs is ducted, The fan is set 2 high & u can only just feel it. Im red hot! & need help.

Thanx Love Sarah.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:41 am
Never been to Australia

It has 2 systems upstairs is ducted, The fan is set 2 high & u can only just feel it. Im red hot! & need help.

Thanx Love Sarah.
So downstairs has a split and that is OK.
But the upstairs ducted is not working?

I am not a fridgey but did work as a manager for an air con firm and have read the books!

To be honest you sound as though you are pretty switched on and the problem is going to need an engineer, maybe a prob with the compressor or the superheat or the fan or the....
The fan won't start running hard until the gas is at the right temp or the air flow will just make it worse.

Sorry can't be more help.

Hopefully one of the fridgeys might chip in.

Kevin
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Beermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really nice

Love Sarah.
Incredibly stupid question, but you do have the doors and windows shut?

I have never had evaporative cooling systems but from what I have read, you generally leave a window or two open to allow the humidified air to escape. With refridgerated, you should keep all windows etc closed, as the system also dehumidifies the air.

One simple check, can you see if water is coming out of the drain tube? (on our system, the drain tube just vented into an outside drain, and it can be amazing to see how much water gets condensed)

Just a thought...
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kevin that is correct the downstairs works but im not sure about upstairs. Thanks for your help i will get someone in to help me out. Thank you.

Beermonster, all windows & doors are closed ive been told that it wont work if they are open. Thanks for your advice.

Love Sarah.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:36 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Hi Kevin that is correct the downstairs works but im not sure about upstairs. Thanks for your help i will get someone in to help me out. Thank you.

Beermonster, all windows & doors are closed ive been told that it wont work if they are open. Thanks for your advice.

Love Sarah.
I'm an air con mechanic. If you are saying the airflow is non existent check the filters, as if they get dirty the airflow will be restricted. The evaporator coil will start to freeze, and heat transfer becomes difficult. Also make sure the compressor is running. If these two things don't solve the problem, then maybe refrigerant shortage (you cannot handle refrigerant without the licence we have) but check the temperature of the larger diameter pipe near the condensing unit outside, it should be cold and sweating. If you have a hard wired wall controller, hold the test or check button and see if a code flashes at you, if so let me know what it is. If the pipe is warm then almost certain to be refrigerant problem. You can PM me if you need more help.
Good Luck
Old Dec 28th 2006, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kevin,

Love Sarah.
You should never set your air con to 16 degrees, I was told that if you do this the machines pipes will freeze and it has a self freeze mechanisim that means it has to heat up to unfreeze the pipes, set it at a realistic temp, mines usually 23 or 24 degrees.

Jo
Old Dec 28th 2006, 8:55 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by joho
You should never set your air con to 16 degrees, I was told that if you do this the machines pipes will freeze and it has a self freeze mechanisim that means it has to heat up to unfreeze the pipes, set it at a realistic temp, mines usually 23 or 24 degrees.

Jo
Its because of lower evaporating temperatures caused by a low setting assuming there is enough capacity to lower the temp enough. I would not recommend setting less than 22 degrees. 24 in cooling should be sufficient.