Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

References on Resume

References on Resume

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default References on Resume

When applying for jobs in Australia, is it better to attach a list of references, or to write 'references available on request'?

I'm in two minds about both ways. Any suggestions?

S
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:52 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: References on Resume

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
When applying for jobs in Australia, is it better to attach a list of references, or to write 'references available on request'?

S
A while back i suggested to someone on here to write 'References can be provided.' but others more cleverer than me said not. I've had that on my resume for as long as I can remember. I'd rather know when a company wants to contact a referee so I can forewarn that person.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:53 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

S
I put 2 at the end of my resume (names, contact details).

Can't think of any reason NOT to put a couple on your resume/cv, unless they'll find out something bad when they contact them of course!

Try & get e-mail contact details for your references if you haven't already, or a fax instead, the agency I went through here had difficulty getting hold of my references on the phone because of the time difference.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by mackinnon

Can't think of any reason NOT to put a couple on your resume/cv, unless they'll find out something bad when they contact them of course!

Try & get e-mail contact details for your references if you haven't already, or a fax instead, the agency I went through here had difficulty getting hold of my references on the phone because of the time difference.
Would that not be a good reason not to include them?
If XYZ company wants to speak to your referee they have to ask you. You contact your referee, double check they're ok with it, and get time/details of best time for XYZ to call them.
Your referee could be away on holiday, or may not fully remember you, or want to check a detail with you before being asked by XYZ.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:05 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Would that not be a good reason not to include them?
If XYZ company wants to speak to your referee they have to ask you. You contact your referee, double check they're ok with it, and get time/details of best time for XYZ to call them.
Your referee could be away on holiday, or may not fully remember you, or want to check a detail with you before being asked by XYZ.
I know mate, it's one of these cv areas where everyone has a different opinion.

The thing is nowadays, large organisation "references" merely confirm employment dates & reasons for leaving, at least in the places I have worked in, indeed their employees are not really allowed to give private references.

So maybe if it's going to be a good private reference then maybe get it e-mailed so you can print it off & take it with you to interview, or if the reference will be purely to confirm employment dates then just stick it on the CV?

Not really any right or wrong.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is nowadays, large organisation "references" merely confirm employment dates & reasons for leaving, at least in the places I have worked in, indeed their employees are not really allowed to give private references.

So maybe if it's going to be a good private reference then maybe get it e-mailed so you can print it off & take it with you to interview, or if the reference will be purely to confirm employment dates then just stick it on the CV?

Cheers folks.

I think I'll just stick the contact details down and hope for the best.

S
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:22 am

Yeah you're right too.
My theory (that works for me) is that in my employment history there is enought company contact info for any potential employer to check out that company's HR records to verify employment dates.
My referees are people I've worked with who are willing to sing my praises on their own accord.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:34 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by gedge
Yeah you're right too.
My theory (that works for me) is that in my employment history there is enought company contact info for any potential employer to check out that company's HR records to verify employment dates.
My referees are people I've worked with who are willing to sing my praises on their own accord.

It also doesn't help that all my referees will be away on school holidays until September, so thay may not get any replies anyway!

Stupid job hunting...

S
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

It also doesn't help that all my referees will be away on school holidays until September, so thay may not get any replies anyway!

Stupid job hunting...

S

I've been advised to attach the references themselves for Australia, and my experience in the US so far would back up the arguement for doing this, although I haven't actually been providing them until requested up until recently.

One person told me they 'could not' contact UK referees, and one of my referees will only confirm dates etc when thy reference, so I have a couple of references pre-written that I photocopy and attach as requsted.

If you are applying online many of the standard systems will not let you attach anything other than yor CV so you might be left with no choice in the matter, but if you are writing speculative letters I would certainly say it can't hurt.

If you want to do this but don't have copies of references next time you have a job application where references get requested from the referees you could conact the referees shortly after and ask them whether they wouls mind providing you with a copy.

I think supplying a reference has less to do with cultural difference and much more to do with the fact that you are nw to the country an you want to make it as easy as possible for that person to employ you!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

I had the same problem when I moved to auckland

try and get a written reference of them as well to take with you

I had a complete nightmare with them as people just didnt answer the emails quick enough and also one ex boss was on holiday
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just in the process of applying for a job where they want three references. I only have two pre done and with me and the third is on holiday in Portugal for the next two weeks so they are going to have to make do with what I give them for now.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:51 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just in the process of applying for a job where they want three references. I only have two pre done and with me and the third is on holiday in Portugal for the next two weeks so they are going to have to make do with what I give them for now.
I'm starting to find this whole job seeking thing quite depressing really. I don't remember that job adverts were as specific in the UK as they are here...

I've mailed loads of CV's so far and guess what....?

Nothing in reply...!

S
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'll give you one
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:06 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

S
Put them on mate.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Put them on mate.
did you get the job then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.