Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

references for renting property

references for renting property

Old Mar 27th 2005, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice
Default references for renting property

hi everyone,

we are hopefully moving to brisbane in the bayside area by the end of the year.

we will rent for maybe 3-6 months while we find a nice house in a nice area to buy.

i have being looking at rental properties just to get an idea of prices, most of the properties ask for references.
are these references from previous landlords or character references from friends or the bank or what?????
can somebody please clarify

thanks
kate.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 5:53 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: references for renting property

Originally Posted by kateandderek
hi everyone,

we will rent for maybe 3-6 months while we find a nice house in a nice area to buy.

i have being looking at rental properties just to get an idea of prices, most of the properties ask for references.
are these references from previous landlords or character references from friends or the bank or what?????

thanks
kate.
Its a little both. They want to make sure your not going to trash the place. I had a problem, getting a rental property after I had been paying off a my own house for 6 years. I gave them my friends numbers, and showed them bank statements showing morgage payments. Seem to be okay cas I got a house. Hope this helps.
Jim
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Its a little both. They want to make sure your not going to trash the place. I had a problem, getting a rental property after I had been paying off a my own house for 6 years. I gave them my friends numbers, and showed them bank statements showing morgage payments. Seem to be okay cas I got a house. Hope this helps.
Jim

thanks jim. you have made it clearer.
kate.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:15 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone,

thanks
kate.
Kate we explained that we had just arrived and we never required any references at all. We did pay 3 months rent up front though.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by madsad
Kate we explained that we had just arrived and we never required any references at all. We did pay 3 months rent up front though.
that is fair enough i think. we will want to rent for at least 3 months i think before we can buy a place. we will be looking straight away but i feel we need to spennd time looking at the right areas for us.
thanks
kate.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by madsad

That's handy to know. I'm a bit worried about this and have seen similar posts b4. I've not rented as am a homeowner at present, but hoping maybe mortgage references will suffice ?!

Will be looking for somewhere for a few year at least so hope that might help ?!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim2004
That's handy to know. I'm a bit worried about this and have seen similar posts b4. I've not rented as am a homeowner at present, but hoping maybe mortgage references will suffice ?!

Will be looking for somewhere for a few year at least so hope that might help ?!
us too, we have being home owners for 4 years. i think i will bring a letter from our bank stating all our morgage repayments etc.
i would be happy to pay 3 months rent in advance as well if i had to.
kate.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Here's what we needed;

2 Aussie contacts, personal/professional to give you a reference.
Bank statement, proving you can pay the rent for the term of the lease.
Evidence of regular mortgage payment in the UK.
Bank reference from UK, confirming that you can organise your money.

We've rented twice.

First, to a private landlady. She asked for this stuff, but didn't actually look at it. She didn't contact our Aussie referees either!

Second, to a real estate agent. They didn't seem to bothered about the stuff from the UK, but said it would be sufficient to rent a place. Our Aussie reference was much more important! They contacted our ex-landlady who gave us an excellent reference and therefore secured the unit for us. (There were 5 others interested in the place).

Be prepared to schmooze...a lot of people will be interested in decent accommodation!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by linda_clarky
Here's what we needed;

2 Aussie contacts, personal/professional to give you a reference.
Bank statement, proving you can pay the rent for the term of the lease.
Evidence of regular mortgage payment in the UK.
Bank reference from UK, confirming that you can organise your money.

We've rented twice.

First, to a private landlady. She asked for this stuff, but didn't actually look at it. She didn't contact our Aussie referees either!

Second, to a real estate agent. They didn't seem to bothered about the stuff from the UK, but said it would be sufficient to rent a place. Our Aussie reference was much more important! They contacted our ex-landlady who gave us an excellent reference and therefore secured the unit for us. (There were 5 others interested in the place).

Be prepared to schmooze...a lot of people will be interested in decent accommodation!
Oh dear, we know no one in Oz ....lol

Will you be my referee?

I jest, but we'll have to cross that bridge when it arrives I guess.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring the estate agents brochure of the house you're selling in the UK and show the rental agent that.

It impressed ours enough to give us the property with no refs, oh, and a look at our bank statement didn't go wrong either!!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Oh dear, we know no one in Oz ....lol

Will you be my referee?

I jest, but we'll have to cross that bridge when it arrives I guess.
For a small fee.....I'll consider it!

Try and get a contact in Oz, you'll need it for some paper work. Not sure how you do that though?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GengaKev
Bring the estate agents brochure of the house you're selling in the UK and show the rental agent that.

It impressed ours enough to give us the property with no refs, oh, and a look at our bank statement didn't go wrong either!!
Good idea I'll def do that one, ta

For a small fee.....I'll consider it!:
How much we talking? ....lol, no joking again

Try and get a contact in Oz, you'll need it for some paper work. Not sure how you do that though?
Yeah I'm sure closer to the time I'll find someone there.

oh and I better shutup, I think this is called 'Highjacking' on my behalf