Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

references to rent in oz-bank causing probs

Wikiposts

references to rent in oz-bank causing probs

Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:05 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question Re: references to rent in oz-bank causing probs

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
We had lots of character refferences (from jobs ect...) and we showed them a print out copy of our new Oz account statement - with all our transferred funds in it. Once they saw we had the rent in the bank they were happy - and that was with no UK i.d or any jobs in Oz yet! We move in next week! (and we beat off loads of other applicants as we all raced to fill in the form once we had all seen the property!) I guess seeing the hard proof of cash in the bank enough of a garuntee! Good luck!
hey Mate:
Can I ask what all references did you take before you plan your Oz for good.
Like employer, bank...and what else..do tell me in detail if you can.
thanks
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: references to rent in oz-bank causing probs

Originally Posted by threlly
hi there,
i am moving to oz in 4 weeks and hope to start renting in sydney in july/august. i have read on here that i need to get a reference from my bank to say i have been a good account holder etc. i have therefore contacted the bank and spoken to several managers about why i need the reference. they have been very unhelpful. they will not write me a reference, eben though i have been an excellent customer, and will only do it to a named person and i dont have a name of a landlord yet as i am still here. any advice on what i should do. the banks are really annoying me. they have also said that it will cost me £10 to close my account with them (this is Barclays by the way)
cheers for any tips on ways round this - i suppose i could make a name up here, or have it sent to a friend pretending he/she is a landlord-what do u think?
We are renting in Sydney area. Didn't need a bank reference. We just showed them a statement from Aussie bank that had our Aussie Bank Balance on it. (We opened one in the Uk before we came out but couldn't activate it until we were here.)
They were more interested in personal references and reference fron previous landlord. We only rented for 3 months but got a reference before we left.Also checked reference from Aussie employers , basically to ensure that we were working where we said we were and getting paid what we said we were too.
Also important to have 100 points worth of ID. You get points for things like passport , Aussie Driving licence, medicare card (even the temporary one ). We had as much of this as we could gather before we left and as soon as we could once we got here and so didn't have to pay any phenomenal deposits , just 4 weeks "bond " money and 2 weeks rent up front.
PM me if you want any more info and relax things are quite different out here from what you sometimes read on the forum.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:45 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: references to rent in oz-bank causing probs

not that i'd suggest it, but i came to oz without *any* references, and i've not had a problem.

actually, that's not exactly true.... i had an employer reference with me, but was never required to use it.

maybe i've just been lucky

Originally Posted by pandya_m
hey Mate:
thanks
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:35 pm

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Originally Posted by brisnick
not that i'd suggest it, but i came to oz without *any* references, and i've not had a problem.

actually, that's not exactly true.... i had an employer reference with me, but was never required to use it.

maybe i've just been lucky
Quite true...may be u are lucky...
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:13 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pandya_m
hey Mate:
thanks
Hi, I worked 7 jobs at one time last year - so I had handfulls of work refferences! Also other freelance work refferences as well as employer character refferences. All the best!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Hi, I worked 7 jobs at one time last year - so I had handfulls of work refferences! Also other freelance work refferences as well as employer character refferences. All the best!
hmmmmmm thanks.
how about the bank. What all should we ask for bank. like credit history, reference letter, Bank statment...etc what else..???