Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

References from Landlords...?

References from Landlords...?

Old May 14th 2003, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

QueenOfMunich will become famous soon enoughQueenOfMunich will become famous soon enough
Default References from Landlords...?

Hello,

I just read the postings about finding a flat in Sydney.

Since my hubby and I plan to go to Brisbane next year, we'll also be looking for a flat soon. But: There are no reference letters in Germany concerning our behaviour as tenents.

Could anyone please tell me what has to be inside such a reference letter and how it has to look like? Also, is one letter enough?

Thanks for helping! :-)
Old May 14th 2003, 5:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Money counts - large deposit usually works - not a route I recommend in case you tie up money with this, try bank references etc obviously a job in aus makes the difference cause they can check with that. Do not panic check with the real estate agents before you start looking and check their requirements. There are lots of people on this site will tell you personal experiences about getting rental places and the process being straight forward.

Good luck
Old May 15th 2003, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Easy, we had friends write character refs, never having rented before. Landlord didn't even ask to see them, just took the bond money.

Friends had to have refs and they just had an Oz character ref from a friend and one from a supposed landlord in the UK & it was fine, don't worry.

Loopy
Old May 15th 2003, 2:09 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: References from Landlords...?

Originally posted by QueenOfMunich
Hello,

I just read the postings about finding a flat in Sydney.

Since my hubby and I plan to go to Brisbane next year, we'll also be looking for a flat soon. But: There are no reference letters in Germany concerning our behaviour as tenents.

Could anyone please tell me what has to be inside such a reference letter and how it has to look like? Also, is one letter enough?

Thanks for helping! :-)
Hi,
The very first house I rented here I got a reference from the big boss in work

I don't think there will be any prob, explain to your potential landlord/estate agent your situation, or get someone in Aus to vouch for you. The ref does not need to be written - just give them a name/contact who they can call up on the phone. I haven't got any written references. when renting a new place "they" as in the estate agents just calls/phones the contact I give them (which now is my last place of rental)

All any landlord is worried about is who he/she is letting the house/flat to, if you may trash it etc. Another idea is to show them your police check , the one which you have to get to emigrate here (take a photo copy of it) - that will show them that your not a "hoon" and have no crim record, it may help

Don't worry about it, just explain your situation to any future landlord, and ask if they would like to see your Police checks etc. In the end Money does talk like someone else has mentioned.

cheers
Old May 20th 2003, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

QueenOfMunich will become famous soon enoughQueenOfMunich will become famous soon enough

Ok, thanks. Always good to know that we don't have to sleep on the backseat of our car for too long ;-)