Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

referances for rental

referances for rental

Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

scampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant future
Default referances for rental

when we arrive in Brisbane to rent a property what referances do we need? we asked our bank but they say thay dont give us it, the prospective agent has to write to our bank and we then give permission, that seems a bit long winded. the building society sent me a letter straight away? help
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:17 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: referances for rental

Originally Posted by scampie
when we arrive in Brisbane to rent a property what referances do we need? we asked our bank but they say thay dont give us it, the prospective agent has to write to our bank and we then give permission, that seems a bit long winded. the building society sent me a letter straight away? help
Most rental agents want as many references as you can supply. Try getting them from your UK employer, new Oz employer, Mortgage Company. Plus a couple of character references aswell. If you rented in the UK get one from your landlord. When we first arrived here we stayed in a B+B while we looked round the rentals. The owners of the B+B also gave us references.

Good luck
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - the more references the better! If you do rent short term when you first arrive, definitely ask them for a reference, rental agents will like this because it's Australian and recent.

Good luck with the move

Rudi
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:02 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

I'm a bit dim here but what sort of reference does a bank give

Why can't you just show your bank statement or mortgage/rental payments that you made in the UK ?

When I rented here the only thing I needed to show was my bank statement showing I had the funds to pay the rent.

In the UK when I rented out my house the letting agent just got a reference from the potential tennent's employer, showing they had income to pay the rent.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We supplied ref from short term rental, my employer & a friend in UK.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

you should be ok with your pasport/d licence/get a copy of your bank statment cut out personal details, you could offer 3mth up front always seems to work you will need ref off your last landloard if you get short term that will be ok, if not get one from uk from who you have stayed with
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

scampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant future

we do not rent here in the uk , we have a mortgage and have been given a ref from building society.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

we do not rent here in the uk , we have a mortgage and have been given a ref from building society.
That will be great.

Try not to worry too much, it will all be fine.
Good luck & enjoy your last month or two in the UK
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

That should be fine, sometimes they want to ring i have seen some refs from family members who you have stayed with for the last few day before you leave the uk all its said was mr mrs x have stayed in our property & we would recomend them to any landlord phone number/email ady. I think the owner makes the choice who has the house if a few familys want it so more refs the better, if yours is the only application you will get it, but if there is a family that has lived in brisbane for the last 5 years with good rental refs & jobs, contacts that they can ring ect, it best to give them as much as possible. Dont worry iam sure you will be fine good luck
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

We wrote a lovely character reference for ourselves before arriving in Australia and got one of our close friends to sign 20 copies of it.

This reference, along with an open letter from ourselves stating that we were home owners back in the UK, why we were in Australia, what our careers and career prospects were etc did the trick.

The fact that we had all of that along with our deposit worked wonders.

Never had any bank or building society references, just some home ownership confirmation (like mortgage statement) would be enough.

Good luck.

Simon