Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reducing bills for a single person living alone

Reducing bills for a single person living alone

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:02 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Reducing bills for a single person living alone

Hi guys.

Long time no typee eh? Well things have taken a turn for the worse for me here. i wont go in to detail yet, but it'll be obvious from my next question.

When i was in the UK and living alone there were reductions on the council tax with sole occupancy of a property. Do you know if there is anything like this is Aus that may reduce either land or income (haha long shot eh?) tax? (specifically NSW).

Any other advice on making life affordable on your own would be welcome also.

Leigh
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:14 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reducing bills for a single person living alone

Originally Posted by scutterUK
Hi guys.

Long time no typee eh? Well things have taken a turn for the worse for me here. i wont go in to detail yet, but it'll be obvious from my next question.

When i was in the UK and living alone there were reductions on the council tax with sole occupancy of a property. Do you know if there is anything like this is Aus that may reduce either land or income (haha long shot eh?) tax? (specifically NSW).

Leigh
welcome bac matey........sorry canr help with ur Q. But here if ye just need a chat

H
x
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys.

Leigh
If you have extra room, maybe rent one out to a foreign student or another single. My sister used to take a couple of the foreign exchange students and that really worked very well for her. I've also done the house share thing in the past and I had no problems there either. Hope you find something that helps, good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 10:00 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys.

Leigh
None that I know of at all, sorry bout things going arese up.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:16 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Leigh,

Sorry to hear about your change of circumstances.......it's a shame when shit like that happens. Haven't heard of any rebates for single folk here in Oz so I can't really be of much help.

Hope things work out for you......we have followed your posts for a long time now and valued your comments re. life in Canberra.

Wendy

PS Sending you some good luck Karma.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:30 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Cool Re: Reducing bills for a single person living alone

Thanks guys.

I couldn't find much while searching online, but i thought i'd give you guys a shot.

My problem is, or will be, i'm so far out of town for a student to rent - there's no bus service out here!! But saying that there maybe other people willing to move out this way and still work in the city, so who knows.

I'm basically trying to work out how i can keep hold of this place and manage it on my own. i think i'm just clutching at straws and need to just accept the fact that it'll be up for sale soon. I can JUST afford it now, but that would include working full time and also my design work i do on the side. With the interest rates and petrol hikes it's not looking good.

but hey! i could always sell up, move to captains flat, buy a place outright and live mortgage free if i wanted.... ok i'd probably be risking life and limb whenever i left the house, but that's the price you pay?

anyway, let me know if you hear of anything ok?

Many thanks and i'll post an update when things settle down a little.

Leigh

PS - i can hear a R1200R calling my name... or is it just the voices in my head?

Last edited by scutterUK; Sep 2nd 2006 at 9:32 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:40 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

I couldn't find much while searching online, but i thought i'd give you guys a shot.

My problem is, or will be, i'm so far out of town for a student to rent - there's no bus service out here!! But saying that there maybe other people willing to move out this way and still work in the city, so who knows.

I'm basically trying to work out how i can keep hold of this place and manage it on my own. i think i'm just clutching at straws and need to just accept the fact that it'll be up for sale soon. I can JUST afford it now, but that would include working full time and also my design work i do on the side. With the interest rates and petrol hikes it's not looking good.

but hey! i could always sell up, move to captains flat, buy a place outright and live mortgage free if i wanted.... ok i'd probably be risking life and limb whenever i left the house, but that's the price you pay?

Leigh

PS - i can hear a R1200R calling my name... or is it just the voices in my head?

its the voices in your head petal.

wondered why you have been .... elusive ... the last couple of months. sorry to hear its gone t##s up ... and you know i mean that.
can you not sell off some the land to developers??

you know where to find me!

sue xx
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:12 pm
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Leigh

I am sure there are plenty of people looking for a rural rental property (it's something we have been thinking about for a while now). If we go rural it would have to be a reasonable commute into Canberra since we both work there. I think the main problem you will have is that most folk would want the place to themselves rather than just renting out a room although you never know...its certainly worth a try. It would be bloody shame to have sell up.

Wendy

PS

R1200R eh ........ that was Jim's first reaction when I told him about your post.....his words were....."tell him to buy a bloody bike"....must be a bloke thing....lol.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with the "singles reduction", but can offer suggestions regarding finding a lodger. Sounds like they'd need their own transport, but that needn't be a problem.

Try advertising on Craigslist, thegumtree.com, and emailing a flyer/poster to the HR depts of large employers who are within the vicinity. What about your nearest high school - maybe a teacher is looking for somewhere to live?

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/au and ask them to add Canberra.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 2:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No brainwaves I'm afraid to say Leigh, just wanted to say Welcome back to the fold
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:20 am
life begins again...

Hi guys. thanks for the support and info.

It's taken a while to get myself back to reply. Ya see things turned to crap. Me and the misses split up and now the house and land is up for sale. or will be when we we've had all the valuations done.

i did think about keeping this place on my own, but i can't afford to in all honesty. So i'm moving back to the 'burbs asap, when we can sell this place. until then we're gonna have to live together as neither of us can afford to move out.

we're not doing too badly though, it's just awkward as it was my call and she's still a little shocked.

anyway, thanks again.

cyaz
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:41 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys.

Leigh
Well hello there stranger....glad to see you back, even if things aren't completely peachy at the moment.

Don't actually have any useful answers to your questions, but hope you get things sorted soon enough.

Bx
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:44 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys. thanks for the support and info.

It's taken a while to get myself back to reply. Ya see things turned to crap. Me and the misses split up and now the house and land is up for sale. or will be when we we've had all the valuations done.

i did think about keeping this place on my own, but i can't afford to in all honesty. So i'm moving back to the 'burbs asap, when we can sell this place. until then we're gonna have to live together as neither of us can afford to move out.

we're not doing too badly though, it's just awkward as it was my call and she's still a little shocked.

anyway, thanks again.

cyaz

Ooops, guess you already have found a solution of sorts. Hope things work out for you now though Leigh - onwards and upwards and all that.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 8:20 am
life begins again...

Originally Posted by bundy
Ooops, guess you already have found a solution of sorts. Hope things work out for you now though Leigh - onwards and upwards and all that.
ta for that. i hope you've settled in well in't yorksha.

i'll be back!

Scutz