Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Redlands School & other schools Sydney

Redlands School & other schools Sydney

Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Redlands School & other schools Sydney

I am having trouble getting on the website today. Does it have a Pre School, how does t compare to other schools in your opinion, is it worth the $$$ looks pricy too...bearing in mind I will have to pay anyway and it looks like the Anglican and Catholic schools are way (3000$) cheaper than the 5500$ I am required to pay for public schools , what would you do...

I will be North Shore, a relative is at Our Lady of Good Counsel and says it's wonderful, however I am not in the slightest bit religious, is everyone who goes to these schools? Is my hesitation justified, is religion a BIG part of the education. Myself taught at and went to religious schools but it was once a week for ten minutes at the Minster....I think faith schools are a bit different in Oz to UK?

Feel free to PM me if you want to if you don't want to post....

Any experience of Forestville Montessori School, are they leftfield schools with wacky spoilt kids who treehug and can't fit into society (joking) or generally nice places? For us we would like an all round school, academic focus is reasonably important but in the sense that achievement is congratulated/the norm rather than the 'sole focus' and to the exclusion of the whole child...our other predicament (if you can call it that) is we will (probably) return to UK or to International education elsewhere and want to be sure that after 4 years, our mini plants will slot back in without too many difficulties...

Any advice?

Last edited by plantpot; Aug 31st 2008 at 5:12 am.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Redlands School & other schools Sydney

Anyone?

Pleeease?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Candy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the rough

hey plantpot

I went to have a look at redlands and didn't feel the love for it at all. I was really disappointed and it's so expensive. It was a bit too inner city for my personal tastes and the facilities were not a patch on other schools I visited in the outer suburbs. I went to see tons of schools but my kids are high school age so I was probably looking for different stuff than you are.

I notice you've applied for a temporary visa - some private schools will only take you if you're on a PR. I didn't know that until I went and visited and it was the first thing they wanted to know. I'm not sure about the catholic schools - I've heard they're pretty good from friends in Sydney and it's not like in the UK where you have to prove you're a regular church-goer!

HTH
I'm sure people living there already will be able to give you better info though
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Candy Groove
hey plantpot

I went to have a look at redlands and didn't feel the love for it at all. I was really disappointed and it's so expensive. It was a bit too inner city for my personal tastes and the facilities were not a patch on other schools I visited in the outer suburbs. I went to see tons of schools but my kids are high school age so I was probably looking for different stuff than you are.

I notice you've applied for a temporary visa - some private schools will only take you if you're on a PR. I didn't know that until I went and visited and it was the first thing they wanted to know. I'm not sure about the catholic schools - I've heard they're pretty good from friends in Sydney and it's not like in the UK where you have to prove you're a regular church-goer!

HTH
I'm sure people living there already will be able to give you better info though
Hi CAndy Groove, would you mind PM me with your thoughts on the secondary schools? I am a teacher and wouldn't mind any info you have for myself...I 'know' it will be your opinion but am happy to hear it...

Didn't know about the Visa thing...oooooo how annoying....well will have to have a BIG think in that case...anyone know what schools DON"T want 457 visa holders....and WHY? Our temp visa is 4 years!!!!

PP
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I think emigratingherberts has two kids at Redlands - you could try PMing her. My kids go to a private Christian School and I am very happy with it. We span the age range from pre-school to Y9 and although I am happy at all levels I am particularly impressed with the high school. They don't charge international fees if you're on a 457 either. You don't have to be actively Christian but you do need to be prepared to support the ethos; it really won't work for you otherwise (I think you'd find it the same in most of the religious schools around here). My 15 year old thinks that God is mentioned an unnecessary number of times in the school day but he's doing better than he ever has done at school and he's really happy there so he can live with it. PM me if you want further info - private schooling threads often get heated here and I'm not in the mood!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 4:55 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

The Catholic option will be down to the individual schools, they can take non catholics and may well choose to do so but it is not a case of you choosing the school - they may already have their quotas (many like to keep the original relgious percentage over 95%) and may not feel you fit their requirements. There will normally be an interview about why you are making the choice and your children may well be interviewed as well.

As a non catholic we still did send my daughter to a very nice Catholic school it was very supportive and I believed the relgious aspect supported their excellent values. Alas it was not to be and my daughter choose to drop all education at that time. You will need to write to the school you are thinking about and see if they have places the temporary aspect of the 457 means they may not be willing to give a place for a shorter period of time. Not that four years is a quick time.