Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Redland Bay emigrating to

Wikiposts

Redland Bay emigrating to

Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:19 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redland Bay emigrating to

They will look cheap compared to the UK ones, but as usual there are lots of add-on expensive with uniforms, trips , clubs etc.

You might struggle to get into them as they are all popular, and I would suggest I walk around each as they have different atmospheres and approaches.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

KateandPhil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We have actually tried three local schools ourselves, in Sheldon, and Victoria Point/Thornlands.

I was 100% against private schools at first, but I have now switched sides

I can only go by my own experiences, but I would recommend looking at Faith Lutheran and Sheldon College in this immediate area.

I think that Faith is a more happy medium between the higher level private and the State schools.
Although a faith based school, the religion side of things isn't much more than the RE that I did in normal school in the UK, so I am unconcerned about that aspect, but happy to see the respect and responsibility being taught.

Sheldon has more parents that drive Porshes than Faith does
Thanks some great information. Can I ask what made you switch to a private school?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KateandPhil
Thanks some great information. Can I ask what made you switch to a private school?
My wife .... And it wasn't too expensive, the first year was $2,000 in NSW

Last years total cost (2008/09) was $6,503 for the first year (yr 7) in middle school
$5,614 Term Fees and extras (inc part of the 4 week camp cost for year 9)
$798 Uniform
$91 Books
But with an extra $1,400 for the optional, learning to ski, weeks holiday in Canberra (inc flights).

Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My wife .... And it wasn't too expensive, the first year was $2,000 in NSW

Last years total cost (2008/09) was $6,503 for the first year (yr 7) in middle school
$5,614 Term Fees and extras (inc part of the 4 week camp cost for year 9)
$798 Uniform
$91 Books
But with an extra $1,400 for the optional, learning to ski, weeks holiday in Canberra (inc flights).
Well that is slightly less than we are paying now. We will have to go and look at each school see which one "feels right"
Thanks again.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi,
We moved to the Bayside (Thornlands) 3 years ago and love it here, close to waters edge, with lovely facilities ie Marina, Restaurants and lots of shopping close by. Our daughter has moved from State to Private school this year as she is now attending High school, we have no negative comments for both schools our daughter has progressed so well.
As someone said earlier have a look around the schools and see for yourself, good luck with your search
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
Hi,
We moved to the Bayside (Thornlands) 3 years ago and love it here, close to waters edge, with lovely facilities ie Marina, Restaurants and lots of shopping close by. Our daughter has moved from State to Private school this year as she is now attending High school, we have no negative comments for both schools our daughter has progressed so well.
As someone said earlier have a look around the schools and see for yourself, good luck with your search
I think it's best to have a look when we get there but it sounds like a few people have moved from state schools to private schools. The Bayside sounds like a great place not really had any negative words about it. Is it a good place to bring children up? Our children are 6 and 4.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KateandPhil
Is it a good place to bring children up? Our children are 6 and 4.
In my view, yes, my daughter is now 12, and we moved here when she was 6.

It feels safe, and there are plenty of sports activities available in the area. Netball for the girls (and some boys), being a very popular one at Pinklands.

Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:37 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

we were all set to move to cleveland but had a complete U turn in hindsight Cleveland may have been a more sensible decision.

It had everything we wanted regarding high school, sporting clubs and amenities and we really liked it, it may still be that we end up there only time will tell.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wardy2
we were all set to move to cleveland but had a complete U turn in hindsight Cleveland may have been a more sensible decision.

It had everything we wanted regarding high school, sporting clubs and amenities and we really liked it, it may still be that we end up there only time will tell.
Where are you now?
We wanted the Brisbane area and after quite alot of research Cleveland, Thornlands The Bayside in general looks a great place.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:07 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

we ended up in Cairns bit of a difference
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Bit like chalk and cheese i think Doris Can i ask what changed your mind ?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:04 pm
aka DORIS

you can...wellington point happened, the laid back feel, little wooden jetty, walking through the calm water out to king Island, I just wanted more of the same thing and cairns offered that. So we thought we would give it a go.

So far it lives up to that SMB ( )
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Bit like chalk and cheese i think Doris Can i ask what changed your mind ?
So how would you rate Cleveland for an area to emmigrate to? Is it easy to settle into the community there?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

I would say its as easy as you make it! Its like anywhere in the world you emigrate to its your outlook on life and how much you want it to work; negative attitude you will struggle! Positive attidude - EASY! Keep an open mind and have no pre-conceptions it always helps, good luck with your search
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

you can...wellington point happened, the laid back feel, little wooden jetty, walking through the calm water out to king Island, I just wanted more of the same thing and cairns offered that. So we thought we would give it a go.

So far it lives up to that SMB ( )
I could've been rude and put FTMbut i didn't

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.