British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   redcliffe to caloundra (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/redcliffe-caloundra-612821/)

betsyboob Jun 4th 2009 10:21 am

Re: redcliffe to caloundra

HI, we live in Caloundra, been here best part of a year.
It is nice here and it actually feels very safe, and, from what i can see the schools seem very nice.
OH did some work in Morayfield, which took him 40mins, never any traffic but he used to leave at 5.30am. I think the worst of the traffic is past Redcliffe to Brisbane. But he did say it got a bit much.And is probably hard if you need to get back in an emergency for the kids.
We have 2 kids and they enjoy the many parks, beach and swiming. There is also a rollerdrome.
We have some friends in Little Mntn, and they like it there.
I wouldn't say that it is the most exciting place, so if you are looking for nightlife, it is quite limited apart from surf clubs etc. which are everywhere anyway. But then i don't think the nightlife is too good anyway here really, as the restaurants all close at 9pm!:rofl:

camacazi Jun 4th 2009 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jwatson (Post 7632865)
Hi everyone, another Kiwi here. My hubby is over there at the moment trying to find a rental in Little Mountain or somewhere similar to be in the Meridan School Zone. He's also on the search for a job, car etc. I am coming over with our 9 year old and 6 year old on 20 June, and would love any tips that you can give me in regards to setting up over there. We are arriving just before the school holidays, and my daughter is desperate to make some friends as soon as we arrive, so it would be nice to know where the locals play in the holidays!

a boy from new zealand just started in my daughters class today!
all the children play in our estate outside all day! only see them when they are hungry lol! all ages from 4 - 13yrs old!

PatchPoole Jun 4th 2009 7:16 pm

How did everyones children find it at school over the summer with no air conditioning at Meridan? I thought they had air con., but I think it is Caloundra State School that does. Hey camacazi, I think we need to come and live in your street hee hee, I love that the kids play outside all together, where we are at the moment we are in a cul-de-sac, and in the summer the kids all play out there together - it's great. I would love to find somewhere like that for us.

jaca Jun 4th 2009 11:02 pm

think that was my biggest disappointment when we got here...no kids ANYWHERE !!! we spent days driving round looking at rentals but there were never any kids out playing in Redcliffe....unfortunately I think the area we've picked in Little Mountain is pretty quiet so prob not too many kid there either :( I'll need to knit them some friends :lol:
jacq:wub:

Broad Shoulders Jun 5th 2009 12:35 am

Originally Posted by jaca (Post 7635271)
think that was my biggest disappointment when we got here...no kids ANYWHERE !!! we spent days driving round looking at rentals but there were never any kids out playing in Redcliffe....unfortunately I think the area we've picked in Little Mountain is pretty quiet so prob not too many kid there either :( I'll need to knit them some friends :lol:
jacq:wub:

wow, that is surprising! I mean the waterfront is the classic spot, with the lagoon, the sports arena, the pier, the beaches, the skate park on Oxley Ave, Pelican park, all the playgrounds that appear along the waterfront (there must dozens of those)...to name just a few

jaca Jun 5th 2009 1:31 am

dunno if it was because it was winter but we took the kids to see the lagoon & it was empty....been back many times since & it was standing room only:eek:

jwatson Jun 5th 2009 4:53 am

It's nice to see so many replies! So what year are your kids in at Meridan? My husband is looking at rentals today and tomorrow, but he has said that Little Mountain is a huge area so it's hard to know where to choose (he's just trying to get close to the school). Are there any areas to avoid? And how do the rental open homes work? Is there much competition for a rental property or is it fairly easy to pick and choose? Thanks for all your help.

jwatson Jun 5th 2009 4:55 am

Camacaze, which estate are you in? Can you give me some names of estates to search for that would be good to live in please? At the moment we are just searching under Little Mountain which brings up everything.

camacazi Jun 5th 2009 5:14 am

Originally Posted by jwatson (Post 7635814)
Camacaze, which estate are you in? Can you give me some names of estates to search for that would be good to live in please? At the moment we are just searching under Little Mountain which brings up everything.

we are living in rebecca street, there is a 3 bed to rent in elvena st (spelling?) which runs beside ours, and there is 3 & 4 beds in leikefett way(spelling?)which runs beside ours. house across the road from me should be finished in the next few weeks. i think they are on realestate.com.au.

our kids are in year3 (alana 8) and matthew 6 is in year 1

jwatson Jun 5th 2009 5:20 am

Thanks for that ... is the Elvena Street a brand new property? I think he's going to look at it tomorrow.

camacazi Jun 5th 2009 5:23 am

Originally Posted by jwatson (Post 7635866)
Thanks for that ... is the Elvena Street a brand new property? I think he's going to look at it tomorrow.

yeah, all new here, building behind us as well!

jwatson Jun 5th 2009 5:27 am

Ooh, I'm looking at the map now at those properties. Are all those streets kid-friendly? Do you walk to school each day? Any other handy tips you can give me (I'll fire them all at my husband before he visits tomorrow!)

camacazi Jun 5th 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by jwatson (Post 7635884)
Ooh, I'm looking at the map now at those properties. Are all those streets kid-friendly? Do you walk to school each day? Any other handy tips you can give me (I'll fire them all at my husband before he visits tomorrow!)

we walk to school everyday with 3 other families, u should see us lol!
very kid friendly, all the kids zoom up & down the street all day!
which houses is he going to look at?

jwatson Jun 5th 2009 7:12 am

# 40, but if you give me any other ones to look at, I'll pass the details on to him. He's driving in tomorrow and hopes to get one sorted while he's there to move in the following week. He's only going on what's on the web and the odd one that he has heard about through an agent, it's hard when you don't know anyone to point you in the right direction!

BethandAndrew Jun 7th 2009 2:16 am

Found the thread Camacazi :thumbsup:
We live in Creekwood, Little Mountain too. Made friends with Camacazi and a few more families here.
Fab place to live with kids. I have 4 girls......and Meridan State College is brilliant :thumbsup:
Loads of kids playing out in the street.....or back and forth each other's houses LOL
Very family friendly here.......but it should be called Little Britain LOL
Kangaroos bouncing by each morning on the way to school....cool :thumbsup:
Plenty of support for each other, which is worth it's weight in gold.
Few houses up for rent still in this estate, but going pretty quick.
Beth x x :wub: